'85 Chevy G30 Minnie Winnie starting/loss of all power when driving

Started by DanianAyason85, February 17, 2021, 09:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

DanianAyason85

Hello, my name is Danian. 
I have a 1985 Chevy g30 Minnie Winnie  everything ran fine until I had some 'mechanic' on palm and McKinley here in Fresno, CA Do some tune up work. As well as replacing the carburetor, all vacuum hoses, power steering pump, hoses, and fuel pump.

Now at a cold start, it is hard to get it started.  It will barely whine and sounds like something Is not catching correctly, so it won't start. If I try again I have to pump the gas fast to get it almost started and sometime it will work.
Also once started, when it's at idle it is idle way way too high. To the point where when I eventually turn it off it almost always backfires from the rear.
Also  i have issues after warm up and i begin to drive, it will sometimes lose power and turn off.about a block of driving.
Also, lights turn off and have to jump the battery but most times that doesn't work.
I just have to let it sit for a few minutes and try again.
I already checked the plug wires to ensure they are in order and according to the diagram I found online, they are correct.
I was hoping someone would be able to possibly help with advice on how to diagnose &fix problems. That would greatly be appreciated.

Since these problems occurred after the mechanic, I went back to the shop to discuss and get it corrected but they guy, Jesse, No longer runs or owns the shop. So I am stuck finding another person I can trust to do the work or I am going to have to do it myself. Which I don't mind because I am competent enough.. I just need some advice on what to do or what to check.

Please anyone, any tips? Advice? Recommendations?
Thank you all and I look forward to hearing your feedback. 
-Danian

Oz

With all the work that was done, it could be one, or more things. Incorrect carb tuning.  Timing out of whack...

If you're not familiar with carbs, distributors, etc. it may be best to find another mechanic to work on it.  Someone who will assuredly tell you they've worked on these engines.
1969 D22, 2 x 1974 D24 Indians, 1977 27' Itasca

TerryH

Your various issues can and may relate to numerous engine areas - air, fuel and spark - all of which are required to operate an internal combustion engine. I hate to say this, but you are dealing with a 36 year old carbureted engine with few electronics. Likely a 350, very common and fortunately with parts, new and used, readily available.
With experience, somewhat simple to diagnose and repair.
In the case of many modern day 'technicians', not necessarily the case.
Best suggestion, should you not be comfortable carrying out your needed repairs, would be to find an older -retired?- mechanic to work on it. The older engines were, to me at least, far easier to logically work on, given a degree of experience.
The norm today seems to be 'replace with  known good components' until the problem is solved. 36 years ago, roadside repairs were the norm. Today, a tow truck is the norm.
There are quite a few members here who can help guide you through the steps required to diagnose and perform your needed repairs given required information should that be your chosen course.
All in all, do not despair. There are still many older mechanics out there who still enjoy working on these engines.
Best of luck, and please keep us advised.
It is not our abilities that show what we truly are - it is our choices.
Albus Dumbledore

Rickf1985

It sounds like a couple of things with the carburetor, like the fuel filter put in backwards and the choke not hooked back up. The starter issue is kind of hard to understand what you are describing, same with the battery issue. Just sitting will not bring a dead battery back. If you can PM me a phone number it would be a lot easier for me to get a handle on the issues by talking to you. If you choose to do so be sure to let me know where you are and what time of day to call. (What time zone)

Rick

DanianAyason85

Thank you Rick.  I am in Fresno, CA On Pacific Time. (ADMIN EDIT). I am self employed  so I can answer any time. I work throughout the day and night. So just give me a text or call when u have time. I would greatly appreciate your help. Thank you talk to you soon.

Rickf1985

I'll give you a call tomorrow, I just saw your reply. I was looking for a PM.

TerryH

Kind of a "heads up" here:
First, having Rick help you is a benefit that too few realize.
Second, having him help by phone or personal Email, more so. I speak from experience.
Third, the reason he suggested you 'PM' him with your phone number is for your security. Placing your ph.no.or Email in an open forum is asking for potentially serious identity issues down the road.
You may wish to 'edit' the post where you placed your number.
Again, a heads up.
It is not our abilities that show what we truly are - it is our choices.
Albus Dumbledore

Oz

Agree on all counts.

For privacy protection - Edit made by ADMIN.

Rickf1985

Was just going to call but no longer have a number to call. If someone copied it could you please pm me with it or if the OP sees this could you please send me a PM with your number? Sorry for the delay, I am not on here much anymore.

Oz

Sorry, Rick.  I had to remove the number.  Although I can keep the site clean of spammers, I can't prevent spambots from crawling the HTML code and extracting phone numbers or emails which haven't been modified on publicly viewable pages.

DanianAyason85

@Rick
I'm going to pm u my number. Every time I try it says error and I have to reload but as soon as I figure it out u will receive it. Once again thank you and
I appreciate ur help.