12v Power To The Windshield Wiper Reservoir?

Started by Ericb760, February 15, 2021, 11:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ericb760

Amazon sent me my new washer reservoir today. The original one was so cracked and brittle that it basically shattered when I went to remove it. The little motor had one purple wire going in and a black ground attached to one of the screws that attached the bottle to the frame. Unfortunately, I could not get power to the new one (the old one didn't work either). I tried using a multimeter and one of those 12v pen light things. It seems like the purple power wire is dead. It was getting late so I was unable to pull the panel off the fuse box to check for a blown fuse, so I'll ask here. Does the washer motor have it's own fuse to the best of anyone's knowledge?

EDIT: The wiper blades function properly.
1989 Winnie Chieftain 28'

Oz

Do you have the manual? 
If not, go to the Member Area (button on main nav bar)
Select > manuals and diagrams from the drop down.
At the top left column, you'll see manuals for Chevy.
Tap on it.  Scroll down to 1989.
There's the manual, parts manual and wiring diagrams.
You'll find them very useful.
Especially the wiring diagrams.
1969 D22, 2 x 1974 D24 Indians, 1977 27' Itasca

Ericb760

Yes, I have the manual. Problem is that I am not smart enough to read the wiring diagram to ascertain whether the washer pump has it's own fuse.

Oz

Lots of wires in them diagrams, for sure.
First, jump your new pump with 12v just to be sure it works. It'll hum.
Follow the purple wire back to see if it goes to a relay. If it does, the relay could be bad. 
You can also check this on the wiring diagram.  Same method. Follow.the wire back from the pump.  Even with a relay, you can follow the power wire back to see if it ends at the fuse box.   Or, if it is tied into something else first, which will tell you if it has its own fuse or not.
The fuse box itself, if legible, should tell you. If you don't see something marked "washer", then it works off just a relay.
1969 D22, 2 x 1974 D24 Indians, 1977 27' Itasca

Rickf1985

The white wire appears to be the power and the purple is the ground according to the diagram. There is a fuse but if the wipers work then the washer should work. The fuse appears to be in the box close to the emergency flasher. The diagram is pretty rough but it appears that the power is going to the pump first and the ground is controlled by the switch. This would be an odd setup for GM but that is how it looks.

Ericb760

The purple was definitely connected to the old pump which had its own ground. I'm guessing that the power wire is only hot with 12v when you press the button on the end of the stalk to activate it? I was alone so I couldn't do that. I did confirm that the new pump does work, however.