1974 Winne Brave 19'

Started by revmadre2, January 30, 2021, 06:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

revmadre2

At the rehearsal dinner the night before my wedding, my father said across the table to my then father-in-law who was waxing poetic about the open road in his 45' juggernaut leisure, "My idea of hell is being handcuffed to the steering wheel of one of those things." The conversation ended there pretty much. And my marriage about 16 years later.

But my new life as a Winne owner has just begun. I bought this hunk of love from a neighbor down the street who, I realized upon meeting her for the first time in 40 years, was a good friend of my in grade school. This thing was a dusty, cluttered mess of books and old dishes, but it was loved and generally well kept. No water damage, lights worked inside--you could feel the good times had been in there.

$500 later I'm waiting to get this lovable thing towed to my driveway. It hasn't run in 6 years. The previous owner drove in her driveway after a long trip and there it sat. What I know right now:

• new Dodge Interceptor V8 installed in 2014ish. Evidently only 87,000 miles on it. It doesn't turn over. At all. Not even a bzttt when you turn the key (mainly because the batteries aren't hooked up, I think)
  • all new wiring
  • two brand new marine batteries
  • I'll need to replace a tube from the water pump to the sink and bathroom, but plumbing works fine.
  • Propane to stove works fine.
  • fridge was actually cold!
  • she needs a wash... real bad.
  • needs four new tires.

I called the local Camping World for the number of a local roving mechanic. I called Neil, the guy, to learn that he does not rove, and he told me a sad tale was what I was in fo. He said in his best Tennessee twang, "Darlin' I'd take it on if this was 20 years ago, but I don't fool with that stuff today." He was a good fellow who made me laugh, but I'm left with the same question: "Where on earth do I begin?" And

So I put it to you good folks: where do I start? Who do I call first?

Thank you in advance for your help!

Oz

Hello and welcome!  Roving mechanics other than in Florida are rare.   You may have to first find a mechanic who will actually work on it and knows what they're doing and have it towed, or you can start the troubleshooting process yourself.  Not the most favorable time of year for that unless you don't mind the cold.
1969 D22, 2 x 1974 D24 Indians, 1977 27' Itasca

revmadre2

Might I do well to ask someone who works on Dodge engines? Or even mechanics who work on police cars? This is a 2009 Dodge Interceptor in this machine.

Oz

Being that it's that new, yeah.
1969 D22, 2 x 1974 D24 Indians, 1977 27' Itasca