How can I dispose of bad gas?

Started by millertimewinne, December 18, 2020, 10:39 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

millertimewinne

Sent: 11/20/2006 11:40 AM

Hi,

I have approximately 40 gallons of bad gas that I need to dispose of in a safe manner. I am completely drawing a blank on this one. I don't want to drain it onto the ground or try to burn it off in a big outdoor fire. any suggestions will be appreciated!

Elandan2

Park it somewhere with a siphon hose hanging out of the tank?
Rick and Tracy Ellerbeck

1978Chieftain

Sent: 11/20/2006 3:12 PM

My Dad and I use old gas to kill the grass around the driveway, sidewalk, and under the fence.  This spreads it out, and it is safer than poison in the yard.  Gasoline comes from organic oil and I think it decomposes after it kills the grass.

Slantsixness

Sent: 11/20/2006 5:22 PM

Ron,
I sincerely hope you don't have a well that you draw or drink from on your property.
Gas will decompose in ground water, but the decomposed elements of gasoline are nothing short of poison, and very harmful to the environment. It took 100,000 years for the pre-historic sespool to become "Crude Oil"... the refined "Gasoline" is a whole different animal (or in this case NOT an animal product at all at this point...) Of course it will kill grass... and half of the rest of the ecosystem on your property, and if you're in a tidewater area, like I am, you are damaging local lakes, streams, Bays, bodies of water, oceans... the fish you catch and eat, the water supply for the deer and other livestock you may eat...
Gives you something to think about....eh? Now I'm no humaniac or tree hugger here either... We used to dump used oil around this old Oak tree in the back yard.... it's still alive.... and still smells like used oil 30 years later... we never gave it a second thought 30 years ago... nor did anybody else then... now we know better...

Ok.... enough rant about the Environment....

Old fuel:

"Bad gas" is a viable tractor fuel (um.. I mean Gas powered tractors.. not diesel!). No matter how old it is, put a little "stabil" in it and use it in your 4 cycle lawnmower, lawn tractor or farm tractor. if it needs a little boost (too hard to start), mix in some fresh gas (1good Gal :10bad Gallons ratio). Old gas has an octane of about 50 or 60 when the higher octane elements evaporate over time... but it's still fuel!

If you happen to have an old Allis Chalmers tractor, it'll run if the gas is even 50 years old....

If you don't have or don't have the need for 40 gallons of bad gas, find a farmer with a tractor (one that he uses, not one used for an antique show.. cause this old gas will STINK when used...bad for a show!) He'll be glad to come and get the fuel, or pump it out.... I doubt he'd pay you for
Remembering My 72 D20RG Brave "Smurfbago" The old girl never let me down, and she's still on the road today. quick! get out the Camera... I spotted another junkyard full of Winnies...

rlm98253

Sent: 11/20/2006 7:27 PM
How to responsibly dispose of old gasoline.

Using up old gasoline is the best way to "dispose" of it. Even if it is old or contains oil or water, most gasoline can be used after it is reconditioned.

How do I recondition gas?

Unless contaminated with another substance, gasoline remains usable under most circumstances.  However, as gasoline ages, it tends to lose some of its ability to ignite in an engine.  Old gas used at full strength may account for sluggish behavior or temporary failure of an engine.  Stored for long periods, gasoline can become contaminated by rust particles, dirt or water and become gummy or varnished.  Most gasoline, even if it is old or contains oil or water, may be used after it is reconditioned.  Reconditioned gasoline can be used in cars and trucks, and some two-cycle engines such as lawn mowers, snow blowers and outboard motors.

Check your owner's manual before using reconditioned gasoline in your engine.

Do not use reconditioned gasoline in a car with a fuel injection system.
To recondition gasoline, follow these basic instructions:

1.      Work outdoors away from open flame and sources of heat or sparks.  Do not smoke or wear contact lenses while working with gasoline.

2.      Pour the old gasoline into a second container through a funnel lined with a coffee filter or two layers of thin cloth to remove particles.

3.      When the filter is dry, throw it in the trash.

4.      Mix one part filtered gasoline with five parts new gasoline.  You can pour the reconditioned gasoline directly into a tank of new gasoline that is at least three-quarters full.

How do I remove water from gasoline?

To remove water from gasoline, follow these steps:

1.      Pour the gasoline into a transparent jug.  The water will settle to the bottom of the container, because water is heavier than gasoline.

2.      Carefully pour off the gasoline into a gas can, leaving the water in the jug.

3.      Pour the leftover water into a box lined with plastic and mix with an absorbent material such as sand or cat litter.  Let the water dry and place the box, plastic and sand in the trash.  Do not pour the water down the sink, storm drain or on the ground.

Gasoline contaminated with antifreeze, brake fluid, carburetor fluid or other unusual substances cannot be reconditioned.   NEVER mix these substances together.

rlm

1978Chieftain

Sent: 11/20/2006 8:53 PM

As you noted the Oak tree is still alive.  That same oil is now sprayed on the road and mixed in asphalt to cover the same ground and is not considered unsafe.

If you pour the old gasoline ON the grass it will kill it. I don't expect you to pour enough into the ground to reach ground water, which is usually about 20 feet underground.  What gasoline does get on the ground will evaporate before it gets into the ground water.

Gaoline is just a distilled portion of crude oil and is still an organic substance that will decompose over time.  Oil spills that at left alone decompose and life returns.  Oil spills that are cleaned with detergent kill all life and the ground remains dead for a long time.

I think that gasoline is much safer than dioxon (the primary ingredient in Agent Orange) and some other yard poisons that are commonly used to kill weeds and grass.

I make sure I live above the flood zone, and the only runoff from my house that gets into the street is rain water that the grass does not soak up.  There is no liquid gasoline or oil overflowing into the street (except the leaking transmission oil that is on every driveway in the neighborhood).

1978Chieftain

Sent: 11/21/2006 7:46 PM

I found this on the web, but they don't say why, except there is MTBE in gasoline
"Do not dispose of gasoline down the drain, into surface water, onto the ground, or in the trash. Use your town's household hazardous waste collection for safe and convenient disposal of excess or old gasoline. Transport your old gas in an approved gasoline container.

The Alliance for Proper Gasoline Handling
129 Portland St.,  5th Floor
Boston, MA 02114
(617) 443-1321

1978Chieftain

Sent: 11/21/2006 8:05 PM

I found this at www.gas-care.org

This means that by simply typing in a zip code, a consumer will able to identify when and where to dispose of waste gasoline. This information will be available at Earth's 911's existing Web site at www.1800cleanup.org, as well as by telephone at 1-800-CLEANUP. A direct link to Earth's 911 database has also been established at The Alliance's Web site (www.gas-care.org).

Coachmen1972

Sent: 11/22/2006 5:38 PM

I have one of those big black plastic cement tubs filled with kitty litter. Use it to put under leaky vehicles in sensitive areas of the drive way, or to dispose of used paint thinner/brush cleaner. Just pour it on the kitty litter and set the tub out in the sun.......

Guess you could do the same with the bad gas....although I think mixing it in a little at a time with good gas is probably the best thing....(and the least loss of $$)

1978Chieftain

Sent: 11/22/2006 6:13 PM

Well, I have always heard that old gas turns to varnish, and the varnish will coat your carborator, and plug up your carborator jets; so, mixing varnish with new gas will still clog up your carborator with varnish.

1978Chieftain

Sent: 11/22/2006 6:36 PM

Hazardous components commonly found in gasoline include benzene (a known carcinogen), ethylene dichloride, methanol, petroleum hydrocarbons, tetraethyl lead, and, in reformulated gasoline, methyl t-butyl ether (MtBE).

How to Safely Dispose of Gasoline

Do not allow gasoline to become contaminated or old. Buy what you need and use it up. If left over six months, gas can go stale and should not be used. It is possible, however, to strain old gasoline through a paint filter, dilute by one-half with fresh gasoline and use in lawnmowers and other small engines.

Taking your old gasoline to your town's household hazardous waste collection is probably the safest and most convenient method for disposal. Take your old gas in an approved gasoline container.

How to Safely Dispose of Gasoline

Do not allow gasoline to become contaminated or old. Buy what you need and use it up. If left over six months, gas can go stale and should not be used. It is possible, however, to strain old gasoline through a paint filter, dilute by one-half with fresh gasoline and use in lawnmowers and other small engines.

Taking your old gasoline to your town's household hazardous waste collection is probably the safest and most convenient method for disposal. Take your old gas in an approved gasoline container.

Found at: http://www.des.state.nh.us/factsheets/co/co-10.htm

tmsnyder

If it still smells like gas, I'd feed it to my old beater Honda automobile. 

If it smells like bad gas, I'd probably blend it in with my father's 1000 gallon fuel oil tank that he burns to make maple syrup.  Maybe an auto garage that burns used motor oil to heat would accept it.  Those burners aren't too picky.

You could also put it for free on facebook market place.  Someone might want it to burn it.

Good for starting bonfires.