Looking for Front Brake Drums for my 1972 M300 D20 Brave...

Started by Winnebago Man, January 14, 2021, 05:02 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Winnebago Man

Hello everyone, and happy new year. I hope this year has been a little better so far.

I don't want this to turn into a drum vs disc argument, If I can keep the drums I am OK with them.

I haven't started the big work I would like to do on my Winnebago yet, It hasn't driven in 6 years and last month my friend and I drove it 50 miles with no problems to a storage yard where it currently sits (I can't bring it home quite yet.)
I would like to put some long distance miles on this thing when I get it cleaned up, but the front brake drums are completely worn out. The coach has 107,000 miles on it. I have already replaced everything on the brake system except for the front shoes. At some point someone wore the shoes down to the rivets BAD, and the drums them self are very worn down. There is almost no meat left. When I was doing the rest of the brakes I actually took them to a shop to see if there was any chance on cleaning them up and the guy took one look and said they are junk. So I am in need of 2 front brake drums, and I've read the ones for this chassis don't necessarily grow on trees. I live in Southern California and would be willing to drive a good distance if somebody has a set of good used ones, or knows where I can get some. I did a lot of research before I bought this Winnebago to make sure I could still get brake parts but I never thought about the front drums being un_usable. If anybody could point me in the right direction of hunting down some used ones I would really appreciate it!

I have one lead that could be the brother of my Winnebago. It appears to be the same year, model and even color. I spotted it last week in the desert, I didn't stop but I have the address. I don't know if they still use it or if it is a "house" situation but it looks like it has been parked awhile. I may have to write them a letter. Surprisingly I have seen a couple 70's Winnebago's in the California desert, but they are all Indians and Chieftains.

My Chassis is a: 1972 Dodge M300 with 8 lug wheels and 12x3 brake shoes

Thank you!
Gavin

Elandan2

You could try talking to Geoff at Alretta Truck Parts. He has helped many members here with brake parts.
Rick and Tracy Ellerbeck

Oz

1969 D22, 2 x 1974 D24 Indians, 1977 27' Itasca

tmsnyder

I wonder what a machine shop would charge to make a pair out of a billet?   :)

mytoolman

My truck. Ethyl*THE* tool truck(ETTT) in the picture... will need something done when I do the next brake work for my REAR drums. They, like your front drums. are not available new unless you find some unicorn NOS ones. ETTT rear drums are also hard to find used. In case anyone has a lead on ANY drums for ETTT she uses rear drums that are 15"x 4-1/2" with FIVE lug holes spaced eight inches apart from each other the Ford part number is TEAA-1125A. Now my thread hijack is done and back to your needs... There is a place in Chicago who will weld in new metal to make the drums you have work again DON the owner says....I have an extra set of rear drums for the tool truck that are also over sized that I will eventually send him to have this done so I can have a set ready when I have to deal with brake issues next. I recently went through the entire brake system and I TRULY hope it will be a good long time before I have to touch anything brake related...its NO FUN dealing with these heavy and dirty parts....I spoke to Don of J&D Brake Relining 815-276-2578 about a year ago and it was my recollection he was going to charge upwards of $400 to weld and machine in a new contact surface for each drum and effectively rebuild the drums. Mine are VERY hard to find so unless I want to buy a whole differential to get decent used drums or buy a whole truck to scavenge parts from it if he can do this while expensive at least it is an option. There is also a company in So Cal named DuraBrake HD Parts 408-748-0400. DuraBrake will produce brand NEW drums using your old one as a template. Unfortunately DuraBrake has a minimum production run of EIGHT Drums to do this...and THEY want $3,200 to do that run of 8....unless you want to go into the 1973 Winnebago Brave front brake drum business that is not to exciting. Good luck to you...
Also have "Ethyl" 1955 Ford C600 equipped as a rolling tool store(ETTT)."Brutus" 1972 Ford F250 60k original miles. "Panzer" 1976 MBZ 450SL Roadster.

Gary Eddy

I have a full set of front and rear 8 lug M300 drums. I'll have to measure them.
Gary 651-208-6543 Minnesota
Gary Eddy
Fulltime Firefighter
St Paul MN

Winnebago Man

Hello again, thank you so much to all of you that responded!

Gary, it's probably a little too late now where you are located, but I will call you first thing tomorrow morning.

I called alretta and spoke to Geoff about 3 days ago. I knew beforehand that these drums have not been made for a very long time but I thought it was worth a call anyways following the advice of everybody here. I've heard from here and other places that he is the man when it comes to these old motorhome brakes. He told me the drums have not been made for quite some time and I would need to locate a donor chassis or someone with a used set. It was worth talking to him because besides learning some things, it turns out he has front suspension and steering parts that I might need later.

mytoolman, very cool truck! It is awesome to see older vehicles still in use today. I have heard of the DuraBrake place, I found it not too long ago. But when I saw the minimum order required I didn't bother to ask about the price, haha. It's good to hear about the place in Chicago, I thought maybe someone offered a service like that but I never came across one in my search. I will keep his contact info as a last resort.

-Gavin

Gary Eddy

Dodge 8 Lug M300 brake drums for sale, measured and are good.
Two front drums.
Two back drums.
Gary Eddy
651-208-6543

Note!!!!
There are no after market drums available. You would have to get them cast and that cost $3000 for a minimum order of 8 drums.
Gary Eddy
Fulltime Firefighter
St Paul MN

Winnebago Man

Hello again everyone! It has been awhile since I have followed up here. I talked to Gary and unfortunately for me his drums are for a earlier M300 and are a different size then my front ones. I am still on the hunt for 2 front brake drums! I have done some more searching online and it has turned up nothing. It's time to start exploring around the Mojave desert again to possibly find a donor RV.

Thank you everyone for your suggestions!

Gavin

Hemi76

Hey Gary I'm in the mojave desert I'm hoping I figured out my wiring but if I havent and decide to give up I have the same rig that uhave ican hit you up to see if ur still looking if m efforts fail me....would yu happen to have a picture of your motor I really need to see one

Hemi76

Winnebago Man

Hello Hemi, that is awfully nice of you. I sent you a PM, let me know if you got it so I know if it worked.
I do have a couple photos of the engine, PM me your email address and I can send them right over.

Thanks
Gavin

RVSTEVE

Hey Winnebago Man. Good News! I located drums for your 1972 M300,  brand new for $83 each at Summit Racing. If you order now they can get it to you by the end of the month.
Here's the link: https://www.summitracing.com/search/part-type/brake-drums/year/1972/make/dodge/model/m300
They had your 1972 M300 drums but didn't have my 1970 M300 drums. I was going to buy some spares but it is no emergency for me at the moment.       

peace bro, Steve