Spark Plugs on the Winnebago Brave?

Started by iamdogstar, January 04, 2021, 05:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

iamdogstar

... because my old mechanic has moved away - can't find another for the Winnebago
i need to change spark plugs
the manual i have doesn't show their location
any of you guys know? can help?
i've looked in from the interior
but maybe they're behind front grill?

cheers in advance for any help

:)ThmbUp :)

LJ-TJ

D:oH! Well I'm not familiar with your rig. My guess is you access the engine compartment from the inside of the rig. If you have a 440 the plugs are a son of a gun to get at because there under the exhaust manifold. My rig is a 1975 Brave and I have to access my plugs from up under the wheel wells. Might be a good place to start looking. 

Elandan2

I see by your information you have a "6200" engine. I am thinking that is a 6.2 litre diesel. No sparkplugs.
Rick and Tracy Ellerbeck

tmsnyder

Glow plugs maybe?

On the 6.2L, they must be similar to the 6.5L and screw into the heads from the sides.   4 per side.  Not much torque on them either. 

You can pull the wire connector off the top of it and ohm it to ground.   If it's open circuit, it's blown.   If it reads something like a few ohms then it's ok.

Since they are on the sides of the engine, you might gain best access from the front wheel wells.   Either that, or lean down in from the top through the dog house.

Are you having hard starting, so suspecting glow plugs?  Is the Wait to Start light coming up on your dash, or no?   I would check to verify that your glow plug relay is actually cycling properly.  You should see 12V at the connector on the top of the glow plug while the Wait to Start light is illuminated.

Also, if you've used ether starting fluid on your 6.2L, this will destroy the glow plugs.   Don't use starter fluid on them! 

iamdogstar

excellent information, thank you kindly, much apprecited  :)clap

iamdogstar

thank you so much for taking the time to respond - really appreciate it

i decided to change the transmission fluid and filter first - as was having major problems with gear change (in the automatic transmission)
would you know how many litres of Dexron III i should put in once i've got new filter in and re-set gasket and all is back in place ...

thanks in advance for any further advice you might have   :)ThmbUp

udidwht

1994 Fleetwood Southwind Storm 28ft
P30 454 TBI w/4L80E VIN#1GBJP37N4R3314754
78,XXX US as of 8/2/23