Checking coolant level on the 7.4L 454?

Started by Ericb760, February 14, 2021, 10:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ericb760

I was doing some tinkering under the hood this weekend and noticed that the coolant reservoir was dry. I filled it to the "cool" line and started it up. I wasn't able to drive it (I left the new tags at home), but I let it come up to temperature at idle. I checked the reservoir again and nothing had changed. There was the same amount of coolant that I put in. Checking from the radiator cap was no help as it is angled horizontally. Should I expect a change in the volume in the reservoir if it was, indeed, low?
1989 Winnie Chieftain 28'

Oz

Your reservoir could be low but your radiator could be full.  In that case, no the level in your reservoir wouldnt change.

You brought the engine up to operating temp at idle.
Once you that, run it up to @ 2,200 - 2,500 rpms and hold it there several minutes to increase the temp so your thermostat opens. 
After about 10 minutes, let back to idle and check your reservoir again.
1969 D22, 2 x 1974 D24 Indians, 1977 27' Itasca

Ericb760

Amazon delivered a new windshield washer bottle and pump today so I'll head back tomorrow. This time I put the new tags in my car...I'll take it for a spin to really get it up to operating temp. Thanks for the tip.
1989 Winnie Chieftain 28'

TerryH

The coolant reservoir is a vital component of the cooling system. Its function is to store excess coolant fluid until required. Keyword here is 'required', and very important. Many, many engines are destroyed from overheating. The reservoir is also the place where you add new coolant to the system, and not as some people think, directly into the radiator. As your vehicle's  engine heats up, the pressure within the radiator builds up. To release pressure, the radiator cap allows some coolant to escape out, stored in the reservoir. This excess coolant stays here until the system cools down enough to create negative pressure and draw the excess coolant from the reservoir back into circulation. Contrary to what many of us 'aged' ones used to do, you do not check your coolant level by removing the rad cap. You check and fill at the reservoir tank.
It is not our abilities that show what we truly are - it is our choices.
Albus Dumbledore

Oz

1969 D22, 2 x 1974 D24 Indians, 1977 27' Itasca

udidwht

If one drains the radiator then you make checks of the radiator itself after filling and running engine with (cap off at idle). Continue to add until the fluid level no longer drops in radiator. Then replace the cap. Be sure the fluid reservoir is already filled  to the low point prior.
1994 Fleetwood Southwind Storm 28ft
P30 454 TBI w/4L80E VIN#1GBJP37N4R3314754
78,XXX US as of 8/2/23