Author Topic: Series Manufacturer for "1973 Dodge Sportsman Roadcruiser"  (Read 332 times)

Offline smitty121064

• I own: a Motor Home
  • Year: 1973
  • Make: Dodge
  • Model: Sportsman "RoadCruiser"
  • Chassis: Dodge
  • Engine: 360
My son just purchased a 1973 Dodge Sportsman Roadcruiser for $300.  I got it running the other day and it went into gear.  We're having multiple issues I can post on later to seek some guidance and assistance help.  First Off, I'm wondering if anyone can assist me in providing me some more general information about this particular RV.  I've looked all over and have been unable to find a single RV like it.  Any assistance would be greatly appreciated.  Specifically, the Cab over section is different than most any other RV of this year I've seen.
funny
informative
agree
Doh!
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Offline mytoolman

• New Poster
  • Make: Superior
  • Model: 2200
  • Chassis: Dodge RM400
  • Engine: 440-3
Re: Series Manufacturer for "1973 Dodge Sportsman Roadcruiser"
« Reply #1 on: July 26, 2020, 06:58 PM »
Wow that is cool...Im sorry but I dont know anything about it other than I like its potential....good luck and be stubborn about reviving it...
funny
informative
agree
Doh!
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
Also have "Ethyl" 1955 Ford C600 equipped as a rolling tool store(ETTT)."Brutus" 1972 Ford F250 60k original miles. "Panzer" 1976 MBZ 450SL Roadster.

Offline yellowrecve

• 7 year member
  • Post Contributor
  • I own: a Bus Conversion
  • Year: 1974
  • Make: Recvee Industries
  • Model: Club Car Dial-A-Bus
  • Chassis: Dodge RM350
« Reply #2 on: July 26, 2020, 09:58 PM »
Basic design for a class C of those years.
funny
informative
agree
Doh!
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
RV repairman and builder of custom luxury motor homes, retired, well, almost, after 40 years.

Offline Oz

• Top Post Contributor
  • Year: 1974
  • Make: Winnebago
  • Model: D24 Indian
« Reply #3 on: July 27, 2020, 12:18 PM »
You won't have nearly the issue finding info on your mechanical/electical issues, but being it's a very rare build, the house part is a different story.  However, all these were built in similar fashion, so the basics are the same, just the specifics will vary a little.

A good way to approach it is to simply ask your questions and each an be addressed accordingly.
funny
informative
agree
Doh!
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Offline Froggy1936

• Eternal Member
  • Top Post Contributor
  • Year: 1977
  • Make: Winnebago
  • Model: Minnie Winnie
  • Chassis: Chevy G30
  • Engine: 5.7 1995
« Reply #4 on: July 27, 2020, 01:54 PM »
Looks like you have a very good prospect for a complete vehicle !  Most of the Truck parts will be available at parts stores or the Dealer , The House part is best if you just make it over to suit your needs , Unless you are a Must be original nut, Then we are through discussing options as i have changed everything to what i want The designers of those veh had very little imagination ! Start at the roof and work your way down !  Frank !
funny
informative
agree
Doh!
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
"The Journey is the REWARD !"
Member of 15 years. We will always remember you, Frank.

Offline rustyzman

• 6 year member
  • New Poster
  • Make: Yellowstone
  • Model: Yellowstone
  • Engine: 360
« Reply #5 on: January 02, 2021, 01:18 PM »
Nice save there!

We have a '73 Dodge Yellowstone Premier class C.  I have searched all over and never found another, not even a picture or brochure.  You can imagine what a google search of "Yellowstone RV" or the like brings up....  I know that it is the same Yellowstone as the classic travel trailers and have seen quite a few of those even locally, just never a class C. 

That being said, most of the house portion absolutely used the same basic materials and designs as most of the others of the era, including some of the Winnebago's (bathroom wallpaper for sure).  I completely redid most of the house electrical, both AC and DC, to my own design specifications and redid the entire water system, so those vintage items are no longer an issue to deal with. 

The chassis is very straightforward otherwise.  Parts availability is great for most items other than a few exceptions (newer 16" wheels, brake drums perhaps...).  I would highly suggest, from my own experience, that you spend the time and money on getting the suspension restored and updated after getting the basics of the RV water tight and solid again.  I redid the front suspension ball joints and bushings, added Hellwig front and rear sway bars, replaced the steering box, idler arms, shocks, 16" rims and radial tires, and added air bags on the back springs.  This took mine from a vehicle that was a serious white knuckle driving experience that was no fun at all (actually frightening) to drive, to a vehicle that could be driven comfortably at highway speeds without issue.  I also added a front spoiler and fabricated a deeper front rubber skirt under that to control air flow underneath.  This helped stability quite a bit and even fuel economy a little.  These changes truly transformed the way she drives.

It has been a lot of work, and will continue to be as it still has things to do and always will, but we love it.  Always gets looks when we use it as people don't see many of these around anymore.  Lots of thumbs up and some great stories from other campers reminiscing about the ones they used to have years ago. 

Your perseverance will be rewarded with a very cool RV once you are done!
funny
informative
agree
Doh!
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
Members reacted like:
Oz,
No reactions