1978 Brave 440-3/Water heater

Started by Real1shep, November 16, 2020, 12:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Real1shep

I'm still working on this RV.. I posted some questions earlier in the summer. Much has been done and resolved.

I was testing the water system, when I heard a leak. Checking everything finding nothing I went outside and found the WH tank leaking in many places.

My customers are torn now between a demand system and a conventional tank system. I guess they priced the tank system around $1,400 and the tankless around $700. I know from residential work that the tankless heater will use gobs of propane and the tank heater will be more efficient that way.

Most of the time they will be living in it out in the desert with a residential propane tank to draw from and a well for the water. However, they would like to boondock with it at times. Seems to me the tankless setup would be at a real disadvantage there;using a lot of freshwater before you get it nice & hot and a lot of propane as well.

What say you for the folks that have or had both?

Kevin

Oz

In their situation, a tankless water heater would not be the better choice.

$1400 for a conventional RV water heater?!   N:(
Maybe on Rodeo Drive or at Sachs of 5th Avenue.

There's tons of places to get them and they don't cost that much. Do a quick Google search. 6 gal from $400 - $500.
They're actually less than tankless. And tankless are $500 - $600.

Ten gallon conventional are $700 - $800.

Check the manufacturer and model.  There may be a replacement tank available. Although for the price difference and work involved, may as well get the whole unit.

Oh, according to members who've had them, tankless heaters don't make the water very hot.
1969 D22, 2 x 1974 D24 Indians, 1977 27' Itasca

Real1shep

$1,400 sounded ridiculous to me also...even with COVID for an excuse. We waited forever on a Dometic AC unit I just put in yesterday....but it was just a ridiculous wait, not price.

I'll do some research on my own, thanks.  I tend to agree on the tankless route, although I've put them in residential houses with success....but they're not exactly maintenance free. The customers are adamant about having a tankless, but if we can find decent prices on a conventional, maybe that can change.

They don't want to repair the old WH, so that's off the table. Once they leave here for the desert, I'm no longer available to fix things.

Kevin

Oz

Mm.  I see what you're saying.  But as they say, "The customer is always right."  So, if they want a tankless, give them a tankless.  If they're happy with it, hooray!  If not, oh well.
1969 D22, 2 x 1974 D24 Indians, 1977 27' Itasca

Real1shep

Yeah, I get that. If we can find conventional heaters in the $500 range or so, I'm going to hammer them with that choice.

The woman wants a tankless and the man is undecided.  He wants to boondock more than she thinks they would. Her decision is based living in the motorhome where they have well water and a rented, big stationary propane tank. And that's OK, but I'm not sure with the tankless they will get the hot water they're used to.

Kevin