Forum > Project Blogs

1989 Elandan Roof Replacement

(1/4) > >>

jkjkiefer:
I have just acquired a 1989 Winnebago Elandan 37ft. with a seriously bad roof. Im looking at removing the entire roof and replacing it with maybe an EPDM roofing material. Obviously after repairing the bad truss and plywood. My problem is that i dont see any seams where the old metal roof meets the fiberglass/plastic sides. It looks like it was tucked in and put on in one piece maybe screwed down before interior was put on. I have no idea but this really needs to get done.

Oz:
Yeah, that's a complete redo for sure!
When you dismantle it, you'll definitely find out about those seams.

Ericb760:
Ouch! What does the interior roof look like? There are a number of RV re-roofing vids on YT. You mention that yours is metal. I, honestly, don't think that's the case. I do have the metal roof on my 89' Chieftain and you wouldn't be able to pull up sections like that if you had an aluminum sheet roof like I do. Probably best to remove the entire roof in order to re-spar everything. But, that's what winter is for, right?

cook elandan:
I have the same 37' Elandan, and yes it is an aluminum roof from front cap to rear cap. Mine is starting to go bad in the same location where the ladder and roof rails are bolted  along with pin holes in other locations, but just not as yours.  You will find that the roof assy is one piece. When they put it together at the factory the aluminum is sandwiched between the roof and the crown of the side wall.  If you look at the brochure for the coach it shows how walls and the roof is put together.  I am going to cut the aluminum as close as I can to the fiberglass. repair the wood and then install new roof material. Lots of different way to reattach the material that runs the length and reseal, then better that new.  That aluminum roof gets so hot you could fix dinner on it. replacing it with something that will not get as hot when in the sun will help keep the inside cooler.

Jamo:
You might also consider getting rid of those ridiculous "roof rack" rails. They're not strong enough to tie anything to and they almost always leak.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version