Looking for Bendix Hydrovac Brake Boosters

Started by Alan1973Chieftain, November 11, 2020, 12:21 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Alan1973Chieftain

Hey everyone,
I purchased a barn find 1973 Chieftain a month ago, and have learned a lot from the posts on this forum and associated web pages like Dave's 1978 Chieftain site. The engine has been tuned up and runs like a top, so next step is an entire brake system replacement. The master cylinder is seized up (brake pedal is jammed in the upright position). None of the brakes are seized, thank goodness.

I have a new master cylinder ordered up based on the part number, and it also looks like the Hydrovac Brake Boosters are bad. When I went under the rig, I could see a little brake fluid on them, and rust lines running down them where they probably leaked while sitting for the past 27 years. Another member on this forum used A1-Cardone to order theirs with PN 51-8061. I called A1-Cardone to see if I could order, and they no longer manufacture that particular part number. The customer service rep said that they have one that looks like the correct booster and has the correct dimensions, but the system didn't cross reference it. PN 51-8007.

Has anyone else used this PN that she referenced at 51-8007? Any ideas why they'd make a part that has the correct dimensions but isn't cross referenced? Or has anyone else had luck ordering from other vendors?

Thanks for all of your help!

-Alan

Oz

Call Geoff at Alretta.  He's been helping our members with these for 20 years snd has been in the business 35 years.  He knows these brake systems. 

www.alretta.com
1969 D22, 2 x 1974 D24 Indians, 1977 27' Itasca

Alan1973Chieftain

Thanks so much, Oz. I will give Geoff a call. Will let you know what he and I come up with.
Looking forward to getting this rig back on the road.

-Alan

roma

Hello,
I have bought 2 bendix  boosters with the following number 2512062.
It were the right ones , exept for the bracket.
Brake system is working properly now.
Greetings  Rob

Oz

roma

I bought them by Precision rebuilders Inc.
350 North Commercial
St Clair , MO63077

2512062  Reman Bendix 4th Series Hydrovac 

Greetings Rob

Oz

Real1shep

This is great! I'm doing the brakes soon for my customers. At some point the MC lid leaked  and fluid ran down onto the booster. The booster looks like you could poke your finger through it.

I was assuming this 1978 Brave 440-3 was built on a Dodge one tone chassis and was going to source things that way? But this thread may have saved me a couple of steps?!

Kevin

DaveVA78Chieftain

Quote from: Real1shep on November 16, 2020, 12:29 PM
This is great! I'm doing the brakes soon for my customers. At some point the MC lid leaked  and fluid ran down onto the booster. The booster looks like you could poke your finger through it.

I was assuming this 1978 Brave 440-3 was built on a Dodge one tone chassis and was going to source things that way? But this thread may have saved me a couple of steps?!

Kevin

The OP's rig uses two hydro-vac boosters (http://dave78chieftain.com/M400_73-75-RM350.html).
Yours most likely uses a single master-vac booster (http://dave78chieftain.com/M300_74.html)
Make sure you know what you have based on year and Dodge chassis model.
[move][/move]

Real1shep

Quote from: DaveVA78Chieftain on November 16, 2020, 04:45 PM
The OP's rig uses two hydro-vac boosters (http://dave78chieftain.com/M400_73-75-RM350.html).
Yours most likely uses a single master-vac booster (http://dave78chieftain.com/M300_74.html)
Make sure you know what you have based on year and Dodge chassis model.

Just to confirm, where would and what is the Dodge chassis model#? We might have found this before, but I'm not sure.

And is there any kind of stamping or something to look for on the Bendix booster itself?

Kevin

DaveVA78Chieftain

You need to find the Dodge VIN plate which is most likely in the front radiator access area.  Could also be mounted to the wall beside the driver seat.  It is possible the Dodge VIN was listed on your state Title also however in the 70's and early 80's, depending on state, that was not always true.

Then use the Dodge VIN decode page to  determine what Dodge chassis (M300 or M400 in your case) you have.

Please be aware that because Winnebago had to order the Chassis from Dodge early, most rigs are built on the previous years chassis (e.g. 1978 rig built on a 1977 Dodge chassis)
[move][/move]

Real1shep

Thank you! I think the owner has the VIN # on his title. Will use the decoder link you provided.

Kevin 

Oz

That link is right up on the main menu, by-the-way.  "VIN Decoders"

Real1shep

So it's a M300 according to the VIN# The six number a 8 which isn't in the chart, but I assume it just mean 1978.

So armed with this knowledge, is the above Brake Illustration correct for this RV? Looks like what we have....

Kevin