Won't Start 1984 with 454

Started by RonV, October 20, 2020, 05:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

RonV

I have a 1986 Winnebago with a 454 and it will not start, Re-built the carb, New wires/Plugs/ Cap & Rotor and new EFI Coil.

With the key on I am getting 12.4 volts to the EFI Coil, Since it has been sitting a couple years I removed the fuel stem from the carb and gravity feeding fuel to the carb with a fuel filter attached and is getting gas but will not start.

Going to get a spark plug tester but with everything new I am not sure what the problem could be, anyone have ideas what I am missing or need to check.

Ron

beaverman

Have you disconnected the spark plug wire from he #1 spark plug and checked to see if your getting spark down the wire?

RonV

2 questions

Being 63 it is quite possible I was distracted by the grand kids so I pulled everything, wires distributor cap and number 1 spark plug, Going to check if number 1 is top dead center and mark the distributor location , then put it all back together, the firing order on a Chevy is 1 8 4 3 6 5 7 2 if my  memory  correct on a 454, if it still will not start then it has to be the Ignition Control Module because that is the only thing I did not replace New.

I could not see the timing mark plate from inside so might have to crawl under the front to check.

1, If the RV was running fine 2 years ago will the Distributor shaft need to be pulled out and re-set? or
2. Just make sure the spark plug wires are in the correct firing order with the distributor cap and it should start and check for timing and adjust if needed.

Thanks for any advice you might have

RonV

UPDATE: Removed everything and set back and installed new Ignition Control Module and started first time :)clap
For anyone who has the same problem I had check or replace the Ignition Control Module first. Cap/plugs/rotor and coil and Ignition Control Module cost $175.00 and will keep and test the old parts and use as spares.

Beaverman: your idea lead me to think it was the Ignition Control Module because I did not check for spark or a tester which is simple for 1 person and a time saver and good to have on hand for trouble shooting.