Tripping GFCIs

Started by khantroll, October 19, 2020, 10:21 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

khantroll

Hi all! I've got a question I hope someone can answer. I've got a 1997 Lance Squire 5000. If I plug it in to a GFCI outlet and my refrigerator plugged or I turn the AC on, it will pop the GFCI. The fridge does not have to be running for this to happen, merely plugged in. In the case of the AC, I have to turn on the cooling function so that the compressor energizes for it to trip the GFCI.

If I leave the fridge unplugged and only use the AC as a fan, or if I plug the camper into one of my outlets without a GFCI, everything is fine.

Any ideas? Someone suggested to me that the startup current might be too much for the GFCI. Could that be it?

Oz

Was your RV manufactured with GFCIs?
1969 D22, 2 x 1974 D24 Indians, 1977 27' Itasca

khantroll

Well, I'm not sure how to answer that question. There is one in one interior outlet, but not the others. There is not one on the shore umbilical.

To clarify, the GFCI "breakers" I'm talking about it tripping are on the sockets it is being plugged in to rather then on the camper itself. On socket I have tried is an outdoor rated breaker panel setup with the GFCI integrated into the actual breaker. The other (which is on a different circuit inside the house) is the traditional kind where the GFCI is built into the outlet.

TerryH

You write that your 'house' GFIC is tripping. If you reset it does it trip again? If so, your problem is most likely downstream from your house - ie- the power to your rig is supplied from your house to the RV (downstream).
Again, if so, check all outlets in the RV for any that may be GFIC. Should you have any - generally galley, kitchen and/or exterior 120V. Should one be tripped, reset it, power the outlet and see if it trips.
If it does, unplug everything that is plugged into your RV outlets. Then plug them back in, one at a time and only one each time. Should one trip it will show you the culprit.
If not, buy an outlet tester that also tests GFIC's (looks like a male plug with a series of incorporated lights) and check every outlet in the RV. Everyone should have one.
If all is well, post back. I suspect somewhere along this line you will find a fault.
As well, the above are the easiest and least expensive of tests, as well as the first that should be done to determine your problem.
Further, have you previously used your house power cord with no problems?
Best of luck.
It is not our abilities that show what we truly are - it is our choices.
Albus Dumbledore

tmsnyder

Are you trying to run a rooftop air conditioner using a 15amp extension cord plugged into a 15A GFI receptacle?     ???

If you're going to run your rooftop A/C, you really need to plug into 30A shore power.

Oz

I was wondering about that when he mentioned that the roof air would run on fan, but trips the breaker when the condenser kicks in.  I found that out when I tried the same thing with mine some years ago.
1969 D22, 2 x 1974 D24 Indians, 1977 27' Itasca

khantroll

Hi Terry,

The only GFCI outlet in the camper doesn't have anything plugged into it, and doesn't trip. I've tested most of the outlets except one one remaining exterior outlet with a tester; I'll check it tomorrow.

I don't actually know if it has ever worked differently before. I have only started plugging it into these outlets recently. Prior to this, it has only been plugged into non-GFCI outlets.

It may be that the rush of current is just too much for the 15a GFCI in these smaller house circuits. The funny thing is that it doesn't flip a normal non-GFCI breaker.

TerryH

A couple of things to consider:
First, GFCI outlets do have a life span - somewhat unlike regular outlets - general consensus is 10 years.
Second, if your GFCI outlet is continually tripping with the same load, it indicates a problem in that circuit. Using that circuit (not only the outlet, but anything on that circuit) is potentially very dangerous. Whether it is an overload, faulty shore power cord, outlet, plug, etc. etc. etc. you should find and correct the issue.
It is not our abilities that show what we truly are - it is our choices.
Albus Dumbledore

tmsnyder

Quote from: khantroll on October 20, 2020, 09:38 PM
It may be that the rush of current is just too much for the 15a GFCI in these smaller house circuits. The funny thing is that it doesn't flip a normal non-GFCI breaker.

Absolutely!  They will trip on overcurrent.   It's probably a 15A gfi receptacle on a 20A breaker.  The reason it's not tripping the breaker on a non-GFI circuit is b/c there's nothing to trip in the receptacle and those are fairly robust breakers.   They can handle a brief overcurrent, like the startup of your rooftop AC unit. 

And if you are plugged into a 15A receptacle on a 20A breaker, it'll handle the brief motor starting / surge current needed to get the motor running, and then it will supply up to 20A without tripping the breaker. 

Terry's right too, GFIs don't last forever. 

I can't believe you're running your rooftop AC on a 15A extension cord though.   ???

penskepartyof4

My grandma's house used to trip. The wiring was from 1926 when the house was built. It was how I started in residential electrical onto power generation then solar.

We used to shut off the washer and dryer or stove or not use microwave to start the window ac unit. The draw would trip if the other way around. I didnt see if you had an rv ac or house window ac.

Is there anyway he can tap into the camper breaker box with the ac to eliminate the risk of electrocution or fire from running the extension cord? I would hope that way works best and you can do it.
OZ did never give nothing to the tin man, that he didnt already have. -America

tmsnyder

Quote from: penskepartyof4 on October 27, 2020, 01:50 AM
Is there anyway he can tap into the camper breaker box with the ac to eliminate the risk of electrocution or fire from running the extension cord? I would hope that way works best and you can do it.

Yes, plug into a 30 or 50A receptacle as intended by the manufacturer.