Replacement Screen Door?

Started by Ericb760, October 19, 2020, 01:18 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ericb760

My 30 year old screen door has seen better days. It looks like at some time in the past someone tried to walk through it. The metal sheet in the middle of the door is warped and off track. I'm looking to replace the entire door but can't seem to find any online. I find re-screening kits, latches, and that plastic piece that slides left to right, but no actual screen doors. Anyone know where I can find a new one, or even a decent older one, that fits an 89' Winnie Chieftain?
1989 Winnie Chieftain 28'

Elandan2

You probably should start with RV salvage yards.
Rick and Tracy Ellerbeck

tmsnyder

Finding one at an RV junk yard sounds like your best bet. 

In the meantime, can you take it apart, straighten it and put it back together?   Maybe reinforce the bent part?

Ericb760

Quote from: tmsnyder on October 19, 2020, 09:58 AM
Finding one at an RV junk yard sounds like your best bet. 

In the meantime, can you take it apart, straighten it and put it back together?   Maybe reinforce the bent part?

No, I haven't. I plan on doing that soon but that metal piece is seriously wrecked and I don't know if I can salvage it.

Oz

If you're talking about the lower, thin aluminum panel insert, you can replace that with sheet aluminum.  Even textured aluminum.
1969 D22, 2 x 1974 D24 Indians, 1977 27' Itasca

Ericb760

Quote from: Oz on October 19, 2020, 07:39 PM
If you're talking about the lower, thin aluminum panel insert, you can replace that with sheet aluminum.  Even textured aluminum.

I am, and that's a good idea!

Oz

Let us know how it works out.  I had to do it with mine.  Found one in a junkyard.  It was a little too big, but I used tin snips and voila!  Good as new.

;)

Ericb760

Quote from: Oz on October 21, 2020, 08:37 PM
Let us know how it works out.  I had to do it with mine.  Found one in a junkyard.  It was a little too big, but I used tin snips and voila!  Good as new.

;)

On second thought, I am referring to the aluminum panel in the middle of the screen. The one that runs about 3/4 of the way across the screen that allows you to access the plastic piece that slides left and right. Same concept though. I had a look at it today. Looks like I can remove the screen door from the hinges (which are integrated with the actual door) and take it apart from there.

Oz

Yeah, got ya.  I had to replace my slider as well. Had to move one cross brace down a little to accomodate the slightly larger replacent one.  I did the same with that.