Valve stem seals on 413 Engine?

Started by Winnebago Man, October 10, 2020, 08:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Winnebago Man

Hello everybody.

I am finally doing some work again on my 1972 Brave with the 413 engine. I am replacing the valve stem seals right now to hopefully cure a smoking issue, and I have a question about the seals. Obviously they are on the intake valves, but the exhaust does not have them and the repair book does not mention or show them. I am assuming this has something to do with the sodium filled exhaust valves. Would It be a bad Idea to add them while I have things apart? Or is that not a good idea.

Thanks

Oz

Just my opinion, but if it was designed to run without them...
1969 D22, 2 x 1974 D24 Indians, 1977 27' Itasca

Indian72

Here is some text from the Dodge manual I have for the 413. I hope it's helpful. It's very doubtful the exhaust valve is the source of any major oil consumption. The intake valve seal would be much more suspect as well as other possibilities. I hope this information is helpful.

(2) When installing the new cup seals on valve stems, they must be pressed squarely over the intake valve guide, using valve stem as a guide. (Figs. 15 and 16). Do not force seal against top of guide as the sealing lip pressure of the seal will be greatly reĀ­ duced. Note: No seals of any type are used on 413-1 exhaust valves (sodium-filled stems); umbrella-type
seals are used only on 440-3 exhaust valve stems.

Winnebago Man

Thank you for the reply's Oz and Indian72.

I trusted my gut and followed your advice and decided against putting a seal on the exhaust. I only replaced the intake seals. I got the passanger side of the engine finished and just need to do the drivers side now.

Thanks!

Oz

1969 D22, 2 x 1974 D24 Indians, 1977 27' Itasca