Checking refrigerator after burping?

Started by cattlejack, October 04, 2020, 12:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

cattlejack

Is their anyway of checking to see if my refrigerator works after burping before installing it back in the RV?

Elandan2

Just plug it in while you have it out.
Rick and Tracy Ellerbeck

cattlejack

Oz

As rick said, you can check it prior to reinstallation. 
12v check you can do easier than LP.
LP you have to hook up both 12v and figure a way to hook up the LP.

It would be good to do both since, if it works on one, doesn't mean it'll work on the other.
1969 D22, 2 x 1974 D24 Indians, 1977 27' Itasca

cattlejack

ClydesdaleKevin

In order for the fridge to work on propane, it has to be hooked up to propane AND 12 volts.  In order for the fridge to work on AC, it has to be hooked up to AC AND 12 volts DC.  So you can check it easily while it is out by plugging it in, AND hooking up the 12 volt leads to a battery.

Kev
Kev and Patti, the furry kids, our 1981 Ford F-100 Custom tow vehicle, and our 1995 Itasca Suncruiser Diesel Pusher.

cattlejack

OK, good to know, I thought I broke it more by moving it.
I'll try that tonight.
Thanks

cattlejack

Hello, this is were I'm at with my Norfolk fridge problems.
So, I took it out and burped it a couple of times, pluged it in to AC/DC and turn it on, nothing happen, than I turn the ignition key to the accessory position and it came on. Shortly later I check it and I could tell the freezer was getting cold, but not sure about the lower part, maybe it takes longer. Came back out about an hour later and it was not running at all. Nothing I did could make I come back on. Any idea's. Thanks

Oz

What you need to do is use a method of troubleshooting rather than hit and miss.

I strongly suggest upgrading to Full member.  Costs a whopping 5 bucks for a whole year.
That gives you access to the member area which has hundreds of supporting manuals for appliances and accessories... and a lot more.

Get the model of your Norcold.
Get the manual from the member area (along with every other manual you need) and follow the troubleshooting guide.

These manuals have saved hundreds of our members thousands of hours in time and thousands of dollars in unnecessary repairs, including paying other people to do them.

With the manual in hand, you have a much better way of approaching the problem and members can help you better as well.

Oz

One thing...

Your fridge shouldn't come on when you turn on your ignition to any position. It's on a totaly separate circuit, independent of the chassis electrical system. 

It should come on through the power supplied by the coach electrical system.

You got a real problem there all in itself.

Does your furnace only come on if you put the ignition on accessory?

Oz

Yes, the freezer does get cold before the main compartment.

Oz

Also, when you burped it, when you turned it the 2nd time (I'm assuming you did it twice since you said, "a couple times), did you actually hear the ammonia trickling freely through the piping?

cattlejack

OK,OK,and OK on the manuals. I believe I am a member as my statistics is charter member and it expires 8/21.
I also thought it was strange about the ignition having to be on to work but I just thought it might be because the fridge is hooked up to DC from the RV and an extension cord from my house. The first time I flipped the fridge I could hear the ammonia tricking down thru the pipes and again when I flipped her the second time.  I haven't tackled the heater yet so I don't know. Thanks for the advice, ill see how far I get tonight

cattlejack

Play video
Tin Man
When a man's an empty kettle he should be on his mettle,
And yet I'm torn apart.
Just because I'm presumin' that I could be kind-a-human,
If I only had a heart
I'd be tender - I'd be gentle and awful sentimental
Regarding love and art.
I'd be friends with the sparrows ... and the boys who shoots the arrows
If I only had a heart.
Picture me - a balcony. Above a voice sings low.
Dorothy
Wherefore art thou, Romeo?
Tin Man
I hear a beat....How sweet.
Just to register emotion, jealousy - devotion,
And really feel the part.
I could stay young and chipper and I'd lock it with a zipper, If I only had a heartPlay video
Tin Man
When a man's an empty kettle he should be on his mettle,
And yet I'm torn apart.
Just because I'm presumin' that I could be kind-a-human,
If I only had a heart
I'd be tender - I'd be gentle and awful sentimental
Regarding love and art.
I'd be friends with the sparrows ... and the boys who shoots the arrows
If I only had a heart.
Picture me - a balcony. Above a voice sings low.
Dorothy
Wherefore art thou, Romeo?
Tin Man
I hear a beat....How sweet.
Just to register emotion, jealousy - devotion,
And really feel the part.
I could stay young and chipper and I'd lock it with a zipper, If I only had a heart

Oz

Ok, not sure if that was a flashback, but...

Everyone joins as a charter member.
Upgrade, as I said, is $5.

Well, if you hooked up the fridge to the chassis circuit,  then yeah. Not sure why you did that.  The fridge would be running off your chassis battery when switched to 12v.  Should have hooked up to coach system.  Have you started the rig since?

Did you leave your ignition on accessory the whole time?

cattlejack

Happy to report the fridge is up and running ice cold
Hooked it up to shore power and it ran without the key being on.
Thanks for your help, now on to the heater.
I'll join as a life member, and before long I'll be an expert.  LOL. :0)

Oz