Author Topic: Bendix HydroVac dual-booster 1973 is HARD to stop for a lightweight guy  (Read 143 times)

Offline BOBBURCHETT

• I own: a Motor Home
  • Year: 1973
  • Make: Ungers
  • Model: Crown Commander
  • Chassis: Dodge RM400
  • Engine: 440
I am totally new to coach ownership and this 27' long super-classic 1973 Ungers Crown Commander (essentially a fiberglass Winnie) RM400  Dodge 440 weighs in at 15K LBS and with all 4 wheels of brakes rebuilt (new most everything) I can't get this @!#%^ thing to stop. The mechanic tells me "just pump the brakes 3 times & it stops" by that time I have run over 2 people! Sure; 3 pumps and it DOES stop, OK but that is scary. They bled brakes several times, claim it is "as good as they can get" AND the "Brake Fail" lamp is lit until the 3rd pump (tells me you CAN get up enough pressure if you beat it to death) however my life insurance policy doesn't cover stupid stuff. Presumably they aren't all that way and I have copied Dave Chieftan (admin) extensive info & photos & given them to the repair guys & they nod approvingly and don't know what else to do except show me the way to the highway.

First I weigh in at 130 lbs and I want my even-lighter-weight wife to spell me driving it so we sure need all the help we can get for it. I am up for a phone call if that is OK to post here to my cell phone 310.686.9973 and I am in Los Angeles area (Torrance) and we have very good parts availability here (NAPA got me all new rear wheel cylinders right off the shelf) and new brake lines, etc. we tried hard!  Your ideas appreciated....and this is a rolling vintage RADIO and communications museum for touring to events so it needs to arrive intact. Take a look at the webpage for some old photos (that is the prior owner there John) at this link: http://k2tqn.net/oldradio/arrl/2013-10/K2TQN%20Mobile%20Museum.html
funny
informative
agree
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Online Oz

• I own: a Motor Home
  • Year: 1974
  • Make: Winnebago
  • Model: D24 Indian
  • Chassis: Dodge
  • Engine: 440-3
Re: Bendix HydroVac dual-booster 1973 is HARD to stop for a lightweight guy
« Reply #1 on: September 27, 2020, 07:56 PM »
Wow! An Ungers! I haven't seen one of those since I went to the original place they built them in Ohio!
Which became a parts store but one of the original employees still lived in an Unger right next to the shop.

Give this a read.  It will give you the method of checking the system to determine where the problem is:
http://dave78chieftain.com/HydroVac_brakes.html
funny
informative
agree
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2020, SimplePortal