1989 Allegro Class A Black Waste Tank Removal?

Started by Tim Traveler, September 20, 2020, 11:22 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tim Traveler

Has anyone had to remove their black waste tank from a 1989 Allegro class A, on a P30 chassis?  This black tank has a TON of spray foam all over it, as does the grey tank.  I don't see how the tank is suspended on the rig - i.e. I don't see any straps, such as on a gas tank, nor do I see any bolts holding it up.  (and yes, I am in the process of carefully removing the foam to see what's up.  So far, no dice)

I am looking to remove the tank because I am in the process of changing out the rear leaf springs, and the front shackle bolt (driver side spring) is directly in line with the black tank, with less than 1" to work with.  So, it looks to me like the tank should (and will!) move!  Any thoughts/previous experiences with this would be appreciated.  Thanks in advance! :) :) 

Oz

That stinks.  I'm pretty sure the spray foam isn't the only thing holding it up there, lol! At least let's hope it isnt.

Haven't done it myself, but I'm sure you'll find the straps after cleaning off the junk.
1969 D22, 2 x 1974 D24 Indians, 1977 27' Itasca

Tim Traveler

Well, after spending most of yesterday scraping off spray foam from the black tank, I discovered that there are 4 small sheet metal screws that hold the tank in - that's it! Two of the screws had broken already. I'm sure that Tiffin Allegro really sold their attention to detail/quality schpiel when they sold this thing, and how well built their products are (not!). I mean, what could go wrong?! It's only 35 or so gallons of wastewater held on by 4 tiny sheet metal screws!  Same old story - maximum profit from minimum effort - stick it together as cheap as possible and hope it hangs in there longer than the warranty. Lipstick on a pig!! $@!#@!

Anyway, enough of that. I just wanted see put this here as a warning/reminder to anyone that may have a similar rig to check and keep an eye on things. I'm really glad I found this - I will get rid of the screws and put in nuts and bolts - stainless perhaps - and a steel strip to reinforce the plastic edge of the tank.

I hope everyone is well and able to get out and about, and I hope everyone had a nice summer.

Oz

Wow. Just wow.  I know the 1970s Winnebagos were a pain because they were bolted through the floor. But sheet screws?  :( W%
1969 D22, 2 x 1974 D24 Indians, 1977 27' Itasca