Replacing U Channels and Seals in Sliding Windows

Started by shagebago3142, December 08, 2008, 05:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

shagebago3142

Sent: 2/15/2006 1:20 AM

Does anyone have any experience or ideas as to how to replace u-channels and seals in the sliding windows? They are all pretty much shot!  We researched and found what parts we need, we just do not know how to install the parts? Any suggestions are greatly appreciated.

Thanks
shagebago

Dave1210

I did the 2 front windows about 1.5 years ago on my 72 Indian.  Also did one of the bigger windows as well but had to take the window frame out to replace broken glass, not a fun job. Remove all old felts and any adhesive, basic tools will work - needle nose pliers and blade screw driver. I think I removed the strip that hold the stationary window in place, this allows for both windows to slide back and forth and may give you more room to work. Slide both windows to one side and install the new window felts using something that will fit inside the felt's channel, skinny roller wheel w/ a handle work nice. Press the felts securely into the channel and once half the window is complete then slide the window into the channel and finish the other side. Then cut to length the felt using dikes and slide it under the last portion of the glass. This job is time consuming but not to difficult if you take you time. Good luck.

shagebago3142

The actual parts come out of the "Winnebago parts and accessories" catalog. The thing is that there are so many choices that I had to talk with a few salesmen before we decided what we needed.  We have a local RV store but they are HIGH on these items. All places have to order these older parts, I found. With all my internet research, I found a place called MOBILITY RV in Iowa 1-800-933-7742. I found them to be cheaper and most logical. If you call them, they will send you a free catalog. I don't know what type of Winne you have, but mine is a 72 D-22 Indian. These are the part numbers that we need.....
Weather strip-channel for 1/8 inch glass pg. 120  #002324-02-000 (goes all the way around windows.)
(someone on this site told me what the  glass  thickness  is-Thankyou!)
Stationary seal pg. 120  #002309-02-000 (goes on the outer side of the stationary window.)
Slider window seal pg. 120  #024096-02-000 ( goes on the outer side of the moving window.)

This info comes from lots of research, I hope that it is correct, since I have not actually fixed my window yet!!!
The trickiest part is measuring to see how much you need of each product- it is sold by the foot.

We also need to replace some of our window latches pg.121  #023275-02-000.
( in case you need that # too?)

Also, one of our windows has been replaced with plexiglass? or something similar? And it is cracked.
Anyone know of where I can get a replacement glass? Do I need to have it special cut?

Shagebago

denisondc

I think the glass in the windows is slightly special, maybe thinner than typical window glass, and tempered? One of my sliders broke years ago -we don't know what caused it. It crazed into little pieces, like the tempered side windows of a car. Being on vacation I just cut out a piece of plexiglass, so I could bend the plexy and get it in place. Otherwise I would have needed to get a piece of real glass cut, with the radiuses, and would have needed to take the window frame out of the wall to get the new glass in it. I wouldn't mind having some extra winnebgo window glass panes. denison

WiseWinnie2

Can you tell me where you founds the "Winnebago Parts and Accessories Catalog"?

Beatty1950

I picked up my Catalog at the Local  Winnebago Dealer,

Dave Beatty

Plainobob1

hey shag,
   i found a place east of cleveland called sands rv he carries alot of new and old parts,

http://www.sandsrv.com/                                     

5267 North Ridge RD
Madison OH 44057 

phone 440-428-5131                           

salplmb

i have redone the windows on my 73 indian d22 and am missing the little metal strip with the fuzzy strip that fits over the edge of the stationary glass, so the sliding can pass and not rattle or leak. dose anyone know what this part # is or where i can find it locally? thanks for any help.
sal

Oz

I don't have the body parts manual but, if you have a "Magic Junkyard" with any old Winnies in it, that's where I'd look.  They don't even need to be winnies, as long as they are similar windows.  I need to pick-up a couple myself. - Sob
1969 D22, 2 x 1974 D24 Indians, 1977 27' Itasca

HeavyHaulTrucker

Sent: 12/13/2004 10:27 PM

A couple of months ago, I had to replace a few of these strips that had apparently fallen off.  I could not find the proper channel that I needed at a reasonable price (this stuff is EXPENSIVE from Winnebago!), so I made my own -- and all 6 of them cost me less than $10.00

Oh, just so you are aware... many RV stores will not order less than a whole roll of the felts (25 feet) from Winnebago for you.

I went ot Home Depot and bought one 8' stick of panelling edge molding; the plastic channel that you use to trim the end of wood paneling when there is nothing else adjoining it.  I also bought a roll of silicone rubber 3-rib 1/2" self adhesive weatherstripping.  I cut the edging so that it was a force fit into the top and bottom of the window frame, and the bevelled edge slipped under the outside rubber filler molding.  Once I assembled the cut edging strips, I squirted a VERY thin bead of sealant into the channel and slipped them over the edge of the window where the two windows overlapped.  They look great (I used white channel, which looks factory unless you REALLY look close) and, best of all, the rubber weatherstripping seals better than the felt brush material normally used.

Down in San Antonio, on 90 degree days, my roof air only cycled the compressor on every 30 minutes or so -- they really keep the cold air in.  And outside noise is virtually eliminated.

John

nitedriver57

Sent: 1/5/2005 7:52 AM

I did the same thing last month to my 77 brave, just before the deluge hit here in sunny CA.
I went to the local glass shop and purchased an 8' piece of generic sash, then purchased a 10' roll of the "fuzzy stuff" because the "fuzzy stuff on the generic sash was nowhere near thick enough. I also needed to replace some of the rubber moulding that fits in the outer channels of the sliding windows.
I cut the sash to length, used silicone to adhere the thicker fuzzy stuff to the sash (the new roll has peel and stick on the back but didnt trust it to last) let dry for a day then used soft mallet and a piece of wood to install. For the rubber moulding I used the same stuff on your sliding patio screen door, I think the guy called it bug guard or something. It is about 2" wide but the part that goes in the channel fits very tight and then after I pressed it into the channel I simply trimmed the excess. Total cost for everything to do all 7 windows was less than $20. Lets see Winnebago come anywhere close to that price!!. By the way, I used my garden hose to test the sealing of the windows and was surprised at just how well it worked.
We have had some very high winds and over 5" of rain in the last couple weeks and when I checked on my forever project all was well. If anyone would like more info on what I bought to accomplish this e-mail me and I can take a few pics and send them. 

cosmic

jcmac.
Where did you get the new window seals? and what did it cost ya to do the whole rig??

eddie

Cosmic, are you asking about the grey surround window trim, or the fuzzy slide groove that the windows travel through?

www.apexautospa.com

Check it-Boom

cosmic

eddie

I have my glass guy that JUST sourced some! Waiting for my cost and length....they typically come in 8' strips I've found...I think this source has it on a roll! I am still looking for the grey urethane surround if you know where to find that! John....thanks for the signature example of your company..I just changed mine to match-Boom

www.apexautospa.com

Check it-Boom

Elandan2

A good source for all these parts is Winnebago itself.  Although the parts have to be ordered through a dealer, this catalogue has a tremendous number of "vintage" parts.   Rick http://www.winnebagoind.com/resources/manuals/pdfs/Winnebago_Catalog.pdf
Rick and Tracy Ellerbeck

cosmic

eddie

www.apexautospa.com

Check it-Boom

newrvguy

Help, does anyone know where I can get the rubber trim that goes and the outside of my 1987 Fleetwood Pace arrow 27' I need about a 10' of the rubber strip that goes between the two pieces of filon panels. Or does anyone have an idea of what to use instead I want it all to match so I am open to suggestions it's going top rain and I can't have it exposed.

Stripe

Fredric,
Captain of the Ground Ship "Aluminum Goose"
28' Holiday Rambler Imperial 28

newrvguy

No mine is different it's a solid rubber that has an adhesive backing that sticks to the filon panels at the seam.  I can't seem to find it.

Stripe

http://www.hemetvalleyrv.net/filon-fiberglass-siding.html

At the bottom of that page is a number. Give them a call and see if they can point you in the right direction.

BTW, Rubber with adhesive on one side sounds a LOT like Eternabond tape...
Fredric,
Captain of the Ground Ship "Aluminum Goose"
28' Holiday Rambler Imperial 28

newrvguy

Jonbbrew

Quote from: shagebago3142 on December 27, 2012, 08:43 AM
The actual parts come out of the "Winnebago parts and accessories" catalog. The thing is that there are so many choices that I had to talk with a few salesmen before we decided what we needed.  We have a local RV store but they are HIGH on these items. All places have to order these older parts, I found. With all my internet research, I found a place called MOBILITY RV in Iowa 1-800-933-7742. I found them to be cheaper and most logical. If you call them, they will send you a free catalog. I don't know what type of Winne you have, but mine is a 72 D-22 Indian. These are the part numbers that we need.....
Weather strip-channel for 1/8 inch glass pg. 120  #002324-02-000 (goes all the way around windows.)
(someone on this site told me what the  glass  thickness  is-Thankyou!)
Stationary seal pg. 120  #002309-02-000 (goes on the outer side of the stationary window.)
Slider window seal pg. 120  #024096-02-000 ( goes on the outer side of the moving window.)

This info comes from lots of research, I hope that it is correct, since I have not actually fixed my window yet!!!
The trickiest part is measuring to see how much you need of each product- it is sold by the foot.

We also need to replace some of our window latches pg.121  #023275-02-000.
( in case you need that # too?)

Also, one of our windows has been replaced with plexiglass? or something similar? And it is cracked.
Anyone know of where I can get a replacement glass? Do I need to have it special cut?

Shagebago

Did you ever install these parts? We're they correct?
Keep Er' Goin' Eh!

Jonathan

Oz

1969 D22, 2 x 1974 D24 Indians, 1977 27' Itasca