1975 winnebago roof replacement

Started by shrike, August 24, 2020, 09:51 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

shrike

Hello, I am new to ClassicWinnebagos and I am starting a restoration of a 1975 Winnebago Brave D19.  The first project I want to complete is a total removal and replacement of the roof which has the sag by the AC that I have seen on every Winne of this era that was for sale.  I saw an old post from 2008 that would be of great help except the link to all the photos is bad. I am looking for any info from anyone who has completed this task or any similar.

shrike

It was a PC problem keeping me from the photos of demons 73 D18 roof replacement. A lot of info here to absorb.  If  anyone has any alternative products or systems or shortcuts they have used i would appreciate the info and any photos.

Oz

Hello and welcome!
Like you said, this is really the Achilles heel of all flat roof 70s RVs.

Some info on EDPM and TPO coverings:

https://www.classicwinnebagos.com/forum/index.php?topic=2522.msg4533#msg4533

That post, though old has been repeated by owners as the preferred restoration, with arched crossed beams.

One member with the resources made them with custom formed, aluminum trusses.

Top covers, coatings can vary a bit.  Some have added a roll on sheet of roof coating over the aluminum.
1969 D22, 2 x 1974 D24 Indians, 1977 27' Itasca

LJ-TJ

Short cut! Bad idea. Remember you get what you give. The best most reasonable and affordable way to replace it is with the curved or arched 2X4's.
https://www.google.com/search?source=univ&tbm=isch&q=Winnebago+roof+replacement&client=opera&sa=X&ved=2ahUKEwiUtOOhurbrAhWsTt8KHelPAT0QsAR6BAgEEAE&biw=1560&bih=759

Oz

I gotta agree with TJ.  When it comes to the roof, any quick fixes will just turn into trouble elsewhere.  The arched joists is the way to go. 

Nice link, TJ!   :)  :)ThmbUp

shrike

Thanks for the quick response.
I was hoping for some kind of snap-n-lock type interlocking panel system I 've seen used in trailer and patio construction.  It's a composite panel with aluminum on one side textured finish on the other side and eps insulation in between.  The thinnest panel is too large at two inches thick and also would result in another flat roof.
So... Complete replacement with arched wood joists is what's going to happen.  I hope to get started this weekend.  Thinking of maybe two laminate type joists on ether side of the AC unit for better support.   Not Looking forward to this one.  The beer is going to be flowing like wine.

Oz

LOL! No, not "fun" but there's a big club of people who've done it and are enjoying a leak free roof now.

;)