Engine Air filter relocation

Started by Real Wrought, August 19, 2020, 05:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Real Wrought

The large circular air intake filter on my Dodge 413-1 takes up a lot of space so the engine cover is large.  I want to minimize the size of the engine cover so it's easier to move around in the RV.  Question - has anyone done this?  I picked up a remote-mounted air filter that I could mount up in front.  What problems will I run into? 

penskepartyof4

I am merely trying to be helpful. I am not an expert.

I have heard about the 413 from my mopar buddy. He said that the distributor needs replacing most of the time. The headers need to be replaced as manifolds warp and play hell getting anything to work right; they also restrict way too much.

Onto the intake, carb and air filter setup; I had considered the same on our 454 chevy. I took a nap and dreamed that it would be fun to change over to fuel injection intake, tuning, EFI monitoring, MSD ignition, electric water pump, shorty headers, cam, a few other small things plus cold air intake. Then I woke up.

Maybe there is a effective way to mount cold air intake onto the carb and run it around to eliminate that issue. Maybe there is. I would take the cover off and see what your height is on the top of your carb and add 6 inches for the curve of the piping and mounting atleast. That is a guesstimate. See how much it is to customize piping around and down to where you need it. How much work it will take. If you find a place that does it please share.
OZ did never give nothing to the tin man, that he didnt already have. -America

Real Wrought

You're very funny but I get your point. Truthfully though, the one mod here is only one of your dream list.  So yes, for the optimist, I've got a 5" intake hose to port in air from in front of the vertical firewall. As long as I'm building a new engine cover anyway I might as well try to minimize it. Yes I'm talking about fabricating or otherwise more easily obtaining a curved intake to my carb.

penskepartyof4

Fab work is fun. 3rd best thing ever. I wanted to help a friend when he engineered a twin intake on a twin turbo Mustang he was working on. I just watched as the aluminum fused together with all kinds of thoughts in my head visualizing like tweety bird around sylvesters head. 
OZ did never give nothing to the tin man, that he didnt already have. -America

TerryH

Requirements for your engine to run are:
Air
Fuel
Spark
Be very careful of 'dreams'.
Tried and proven are far better.
It is not our abilities that show what we truly are - it is our choices.
Albus Dumbledore

Oz

Without a photo, it's a little difficult to say if changing the filter housing is going to help.  It depends on the existing clearance.

If it's big and square, you may have room to work with by changing the acces cover itself.

Winnebagos have very little clearance because the dog house cover is molded plastc and has a low, rear profile for just that reason... so you don't have to climb over it.
1969 D22, 2 x 1974 D24 Indians, 1977 27' Itasca