r817.5 10ply tire swap to a 215/75r17.5 16 ply and PSI ratings

Started by maxximuss, August 10, 2020, 10:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

maxximuss

Hi all haven't posted in a while. but here we go. I have a M400 dodge chassis and it needs new tires I found some I am trying on the fronts right now. However my concern is I read a post some where that there was some warning about inflating tires past the recommended rating due to it could split the rim at the bead. It looks to me that the rim is not two piece welded together and is the 8lug coined rim. It has E rated tires that say 85 PSI and now switching to RoadX RH620  16ply tire. Anyone have any info regarding this. here is a link to the tire site that has the info on these tires.     http://www.roadxtire.com/RH620.html    Thank you in advance.

Elandan2

I would think you should get a copy of the Load/Inflation table for that tire. A load range H (16 ply rating tire ) may not be designed to carry that little weight. Not that it can't carry it, but at the minimum inflation pressure, it could ride extremely hard. Your rig likely came with load range D (8 ply rating) bias ply tires with a recommended inflation pressure of about 60 psi. 17.5" wheels are getting to be hard to find tires for. Most owners are switching to either 19.5" wheels or 16" if they fit. Years ago, Dodge issued a service bulletin explaining that when radial tires were fitted to 17.5" disc rims, inflation pressure was limited to 75 psi. It had to do with the difference in the shape of the bead on radial tires as compared to bias ply. Here is a table from Toyo tires https://www.toyotires.com/media/1475/rv_inflation_tables.pdf
Rick and Tracy Ellerbeck

maxximuss

so what your saying is the rim can handle 125 psi? I am not worried about the ride I am worried about the rim and bead issue that I'm reading about. It rides like a tank as it is so ride wont matter, I care about the safety factor.

Rickf1985

Can pretty much guarantee the rim is not rated for over a 100 lbs.