Road trip projects looming

Started by FarPoint, July 17, 2020, 10:01 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

FarPoint

My wife just announced that we are driving the Winnebago to Calgary, Alberta. From Vancouver Island. About 1,000 kilometres - or call it 600 miles each way.
So while I have been chipping away at the To Do list on the MoHo - this puts a totally different twist on things.
Rather than our short local trips, this is gonna be a long grind and it better be ready.
So I yanked off the calipers and inspected the brakes- look like they were done soon before I bought it - cleaned up all the contact points, and freed up the bleed screws in prep for a brake flush.
Universal joints and centre bearing now done.
Transmission was serviced.
All new hoses coming up.
I have a bunch of spare fuel pumps, so am going to cobble up an emergency system in event of an in tank failure.
Had my OBD 1 system (with OBD 2 connector) scanned - IAC valve at base of TBI is showing a code. The mounting screws are siezed so thatââ,¬â,,¢s being soaked w AeroKroil for a few days.
New tires all around now.
More to come Iââ,¬â,,¢m sure..
Of all the things I've lost
I miss my mind, the most...

skloon

Change the fuel filter and all fluids

Rickf1985

Those older IAC valves had a bad habit of getting really dirty, you might want to spray it down with with throttle body cleaner. https://shop.advanceautoparts.com/p/crc-throttle-body-air-intake-cleaner-12-wt.-oz.-05078/7040065-p?product_channel=local&store=6192&adtype=pla&product_channel=local&store_code=6192&gclid=EAIaIQobChMIh6THndDU6gIVBbbICh3ZnQ7lEAQYAiABEgJ9ZPD_BwE&gclsrc=aw.ds&clickid=UY01Rx0-6xyOWVFwUx0Mo38QUkiRCgz51U5lz00&irgwc=1&utm_medium=affiliate&utm_source=ir&utm_campaign=357605&utm_content=89591&c3ch=Affiliate&c3nid=IR-357605

Don't use carb cleaner because that could screw up the O2 sensor.

Didn't you have an idle issue with this in the past? If so it could be a dirty IAC, or a bad one if it is the removable type.

FarPoint

Hey Rick - I was having an idling issue previously. It was way too high. I have this vacuum operated high idle diaphram on the left side linkage on the TBI. The vacuum line running to it was open so no vacuum. Once I got vacuum to it, the diaphram worked and the idle came down.  The only thing we can figure out is that itââ,¬â,,¢s related to the dash AC system and increases the idle speed when the AC is activated. Canââ,¬â,,¢t confirm that yet as Iââ,¬â,,¢m still diagnosing the heater controls and other dead ended, cracked, or entirely missing vacuum lines.

But engine vacuum is now contained, so  back to the IAC valve. A check engine light came on about 50 miles ago. So I took in in to have the codes deciphered and itââ,¬â,,¢s showing an IAC valve code. Since itââ,¬â,,¢s removable, Iââ,¬â,,¢m just going to replace it.
BUT the mounting torx fasteners are siezed in the TBI housing. So Iââ,¬â,,¢ll wait while it soaks in AeroKroil.

Most other fluids have been transfused, brake fluid pending.
Have changed fuel filter a couple of times and have 2 spares aboard.
Rad and heater hoses coming up this week.

And I even bought a Mikita 7ââ,¬Â buffer and buffed the oxidization off about half so far. ( thatââ,¬â,,¢s a job!)
Of all the things I've lost
I miss my mind, the most...