Finding the right roof material

Started by RoadWarrior, July 15, 2020, 12:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

RoadWarrior

Hey all,

I just bought my first RV a couple months ago. It is a 1988 Chevy Van 30 Sundancer Winnebago. It is glorious... but it also has leaks. I have stripped the rubber roofing material to expose the composite roofing material underneath. I was hoping to replace this composite material since it is rotted and falling apart, but I can not find it anywhere for the life of me. The material is basically just 3/4" rigid foam core sandwiched between two 1/8" plywood sheets - making it a total of 1" thick. I have tried contacting local RV companies but most of them are not answering or returning my calls, and those that do answer, do not have a solution for me. I contemplated making my own composite panels by simply gluing plywood to foam core but was advised against it because if it is not laminated correctly, moisture can build between the ply and foam, developing mold over time. So here I am, asking for advice from you fine folks. Is there a way I can do this on my own (to where the roof will LAST), or is there a manufacturer that produces this type of material?

Any guidance would be much appreciated. :)

TerryH

Is this what you are after? Apparently available in a variety of thicknesses, up to 3".

https://kerfkore.com/lightweight-panels-panel/worklite/
It is not our abilities that show what we truly are - it is our choices.
Albus Dumbledore

RoadWarrior

TerryH, this seems to be EXACTLY what I was looking for. I'm waiting to hear back from their customer rep now. Thanks so much for this resource... I've been looking high and low for it. You da best!

Oz

1969 D22, 2 x 1974 D24 Indians, 1977 27' Itasca