Help getting retainer lock ring Dana 70HD

Started by mytoolman, July 24, 2020, 11:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mytoolman

Hi guys Im still messing with the rear brakes...The Dana 70HD diff wheel bearing adjusting nuts are fine but the lock retainer ring has the lock tab broken off. the socket to remove those nuts is a 2-7/8 8 point. Please help me find a new retainer ring...
Also have "Ethyl" 1955 Ford C600 equipped as a rolling tool store(ETTT)."Brutus" 1972 Ford F250 60k original miles. "Panzer" 1976 MBZ 450SL Roadster.

Rickf1985

Not exactly a likely source for RV parts but Vintage Power Wagons has what you need. If you see Group E or F that is a M37 or Canadian M37 and they have Dana 70 differentials.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0BxzO_Oy1EMLIT3RhVDdzajZVQTQ/view

mytoolman

Thank you! I will contact them to verify the dimensions of what they have.
Also have "Ethyl" 1955 Ford C600 equipped as a rolling tool store(ETTT)."Brutus" 1972 Ford F250 60k original miles. "Panzer" 1976 MBZ 450SL Roadster.

mytoolman

Quote from: Rickf1985 on July 25, 2020, 08:13 AM
Not exactly a likely source for RV parts but Vintage Power Wagons has what you need. If you see Group E or F that is a M37 or Canadian M37 and they have Dana 70 differentials.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0BxzO_Oy1EMLIT3RhVDdzajZVQTQ/view
Vintage Power Wagons may or may NOT have what I need. I phoned and spoke to them. They were too busy to answer what I think is an easy question to answer, "What does the inside diameter of the ring you sell with part number CC915397 measure at?" "And do you have any other offerings with that exact same design/look?" VPW "Wally" "Ill pull one and look when I have time right now I am the only person and cant do it Ill calll you tomorrow." That was seven days ago. Mine is now fixed and will work fine. I would have still rather bought a replacement and the nuts that go with it. He did mention that the nut size was 2-9/16 and the one in my unit uses a 2-7/8 so it is unlikely they had what I needed anyway that is why I did not bother to take time to call back. More of the TYPICAL and USUAL 1800 customer NO service.

What I have ALSO verified is that while Dana built the DANA70 *H D* DODGE did the hubs, drums, nuts and retainer ring that holds the bearings on to the Dana axle tubes. Good luck if you need to talk to a big city Dodge dealer parts department. They have thrown away the old books with all that information and either that information was not loaded into the"computer" software or the people using it dont know how to find it. I bet you can still find these items if you had relevent part numbers and a person willing and skilled enough to work with you. I made an executive decision and quit to have mine fixed.

Rickf1985

Sometimes you have to remember that in todays times with this virus a lot of places like VPW are working with one or twp people. And that place is HUGE! It is the middle of summer which is the middle of his busiest season. If you go to a private, older parts store you will find that they still have a lot of the older parts books there and they do use them. They would be able to find the stuff you need in the older books that the big box parts stores do not have or use. Talking to ANY dealer parts department is totally useless unless you are looking for parts for your 5 year old or newer vehicle. Another sign of the times. I am sure there are members here that have the info but did not offer it up because they thought you got what you needed when you did not say anything more. You have to let people know where you stand when you need something.

Elandan2

Actually mytoolman,the book you are looking for is on this website. The Dodge Motorhome Chassis Parts catalog lists the hub nuts and lock ring in Section 22 (wheels). A good book to look at to find the original part numbers. It then makes searching the web much easier.
Rick and Tracy Ellerbeck

Oz

1969 D22, 2 x 1974 D24 Indians, 1977 27' Itasca