Road trip projects looming

Started by FarPoint, July 17, 2020, 10:01 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.


My wife just announced that we are driving the Winnebago to Calgary, Alberta. From Vancouver Island. About 1,000 kilometres - or call it 600 miles each way.
So while I have been chipping away at the To Do list on the MoHo - this puts a totally different twist on things.
Rather than our short local trips, this is gonna be a long grind and it better be ready.
So I yanked off the calipers and inspected the brakes- look like they were done soon before I bought it - cleaned up all the contact points, and freed up the bleed screws in prep for a brake flush.
Universal joints and centre bearing now done.
Transmission was serviced.
All new hoses coming up.
I have a bunch of spare fuel pumps, so am going to cobble up an emergency system in event of an in tank failure.
Had my OBD 1 system (with OBD 2 connector) scanned - IAC valve at base of TBI is showing a code. The mounting screws are siezed so thatââ,¬â,,¢s being soaked w AeroKroil for a few days.
New tires all around now.
More to come Iââ,¬â,,¢m sure..
Of all the things I've lost
I miss my mind, the most...


Change the fuel filter and all fluids


Those older IAC valves had a bad habit of getting really dirty, you might want to spray it down with with throttle body cleaner.

Don't use carb cleaner because that could screw up the O2 sensor.

Didn't you have an idle issue with this in the past? If so it could be a dirty IAC, or a bad one if it is the removable type.


Hey Rick - I was having an idling issue previously. It was way too high. I have this vacuum operated high idle diaphram on the left side linkage on the TBI. The vacuum line running to it was open so no vacuum. Once I got vacuum to it, the diaphram worked and the idle came down.  The only thing we can figure out is that itââ,¬â,,¢s related to the dash AC system and increases the idle speed when the AC is activated. Canââ,¬â,,¢t confirm that yet as Iââ,¬â,,¢m still diagnosing the heater controls and other dead ended, cracked, or entirely missing vacuum lines.

But engine vacuum is now contained, so  back to the IAC valve. A check engine light came on about 50 miles ago. So I took in in to have the codes deciphered and itââ,¬â,,¢s showing an IAC valve code. Since itââ,¬â,,¢s removable, Iââ,¬â,,¢m just going to replace it.
BUT the mounting torx fasteners are siezed in the TBI housing. So Iââ,¬â,,¢ll wait while it soaks in AeroKroil.

Most other fluids have been transfused, brake fluid pending.
Have changed fuel filter a couple of times and have 2 spares aboard.
Rad and heater hoses coming up this week.

And I even bought a Mikita 7ââ,¬Â buffer and buffed the oxidization off about half so far. ( thatââ,¬â,,¢s a job!)
Of all the things I've lost
I miss my mind, the most...