Author Topic: '86 Chieftain -- service Generator through underbed storage area?  (Read 1167 times)

Offline joebefumo

• Test Driver
  • I own a: a Motor Home
  • Year: 1986
  • Model: Chieftain 33
  • Chassis: P30
  • Engine: 454
Pretty much what the title says: Under the master bedroom platform I can see the metal enclosure that surrounds the generator. Unfortunately, I'm going to have to move the mattress and platform out in order to even try it, so I figured maybe I could save the trouble if it isn't going to work anyway.

Just looking for a more convenient (possible?) way to change the points, rear plug wire, etc.

Thanks.

Offline Rickf1985

• Top Post Contributor
  • Year: 1989
  • Model: Chieftain
  • Chassis: Chevy
I don't think you are seeing the metal enclosure. I think you are seeing the floor and the metal barrier between the floor and the undercarriage, THEN, you might have the enclosure. You have to have access from outside through a cabinet door?

Offline skloon

• Post Contributor
  • Year: 1992
  • Model: SUNFLYER
  • Chassis: GMC
NO access to generator from inside as fumes would be a bad thing

Offline johnfrederick

• New Poster
  • Year: 1984
  • Model: Chieftain 23RG
  • Chassis: P 30
On my '84 Chieftain 23RG I remodeled the back sitting/sitting area into a dedicated "master bedroom". As part of that process  I cut a hole in the generator box to access points, plugs etc. on my BFA. The cover I put on the box is fully sealed and insulated against exhaust leaks, far better than Winnebago's original factory work. 

Generator is still a challenge to work on but much better access. What do you think ?   

Thanks, J'fred.

Offline Mlw

• Major Post Contributor
  • I own a: Winnebago
  • Year: 1979
  • Model: Minnie Winnie W424RH
  • Chassis: Dodge MB400
  • Engine: 360-3 4 BBL
Of course there are ways to make an air tight access. the problem however is that you open it up and close again and eventually a seal will then fail.

I wouldn't take that chance. but as you have done this right now I would advise you to have a carbon monoxide sensor in the neigbourhood on when the generator is running.

Offline johnfrederick

• New Poster
  • Year: 1984
  • Model: Chieftain 23RG
  • Chassis: P 30
A carbon monoxide sensor/smoke detector is always on hand. At my age I've learned that things do happen. Thanks, Jfred.