Can't find a fridge thermostat with a long enough capillary tube (Hadco 600)

Started by Winnebago Man, May 30, 2020, 01:23 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Winnebago Man

Hello everyone.

The electric thermostat for my Hadco 600 refrigerator in my 1972 Brave is completely shot. The original thermostat is a Teddington type KCA, which are no longer made. I have been searching the past week for a replacement. I found a article on another RV website where they had the same old thermostat as mine and replaced it with a equivalent part. I have called 2 different electronic/refrigeration company's and searched online and the problem is that the original capillary tube length is 64 inches, and all of the replacement thermostats I can find in the correct temperature range are 48 inches or shorter. I could make do with a little bit shorter/or longer but obviously 48 inches is way to short. All of the thermostats I have been looking at are universal generic thermostats, mostly by a company called Ranco. I am surprised that I can't find a universal thermostat that is the correct length. A option I thought of was to get the new thermostat and move it to the rear of the fridge and adjust it from the access door for the fridge if I needed to, that would be kind of a pain though. I am hoping someone here has had to replace the 110 volt thermostat on there 70's RV fridge before and can shed some light on this topic. I don't mind having to modify things, I'd just like it to work the way it was supposed to. Any advice or thoughts on finding a replacement would be really appreciated. 

Here is the thermostat that I am looking at and might make work: [size=78%]https://www.robertshaw.com/Products/Refrigeration/Temperature-Controls/Cold-Controls/A30-2210/?cat=2147484319[/size]

Also just for fun, here is the post someone made about replacing there old thermostat with a Ranco unit: [size=78%]https://www.fiberglassrv.com/forums/f54/trailer-fridge-now-working-properly-42642.html[/size]

Thank you!
Gavin