Our Georgia Homestead

Started by ClydesdaleKevin, April 25, 2020, 06:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ClydesdaleKevin

I ended up having to coax them out with meal worm treats all the way down the ramp...but the chickens FINALLY all came out into the run...and spent all day there.  I left their food and water in the coop, but was worried they wouldn't go in when it got dark.  But they did!  I didn't have to chase any chickens inside once it got dark!  Two of them DID decide to roost in the doorway of the coop with their little butts sticking out...but I gently nudged them inside and closed the door.  VICTORY!!!

Two more days with their food and water in the coop itself...to make sure their training sticks...and then the food and water goes out in the run where it won't get nearly as nasty...LOL!

Kev
Kev and Patti, the furry kids, our 1981 Ford F-100 Custom tow vehicle, and our 1995 Itasca Suncruiser Diesel Pusher.

ClydesdaleKevin

We installed solar powered security/motion lights on the chicken coop to discourage predators.  WOW are they bright!!!

Kev
Kev and Patti, the furry kids, our 1981 Ford F-100 Custom tow vehicle, and our 1995 Itasca Suncruiser Diesel Pusher.

ClydesdaleKevin

The Royal Rooster chicken feeders and waterers are PERFECT!!!  And give the chicks a lot more room in their run.  And the chicks are getting huge!

Kev

ClydesdaleKevin

Lots more corn started on the porch and almost ready to transplant out to the medium sized garden.  We also harvested the radishes from the raised garden bed (delicious!), and replanted the tops...so far they look like they might take!  And the spice bed is trudging along.  No sign of my strawberry seeds wanting to germinate though.

Kev

ClydesdaleKevin

The tomatoes and squash and eggplants and watermelons and bell peppers and cucumbers in the big garden are doing great!  My hot peppers?  Not so much...so I'm letting the watermelons grow into their space.

Kev

ClydesdaleKevin

The plants in the medium garden are also doing great!  The cantaloupes, corn, greenbeans, and snow peas look good!  The rest of the rows will be filled up with the corn in the starter pots from the porch.  I'm going to have to do something about the hay that decided to sprout though...lol!

ClydesdaleKevin

And we're mostly ready so start canning and preserving!  Still waiting on the chest freezers to arrive though, which won't be until July 3rd.

Kev

ClydesdaleKevin

Well, it looks like I'm going on a long road trip this weekend...but not in the RV.

I finally was able to get permission from the Carolina Renaissance Faire to go pick up all my tools and whatnot from storage on the fair grounds in Huntersville, NC this coming Saturday.

I don't trust my old Ford truck to make that long of a trip (705 miles round trip), so I'm renting a fullsize cargo van from Enterprise and picking it up early tomorrow morning...and then hitting the road right away.

Patti is staying home to tend to the pups, the cat, the chickens, and the gardens.  This will be the first time we've been apart since I left the Submarine Service.  It is only for a couple of days, but I'm not crazy about the idea...lol!

But we have to pick up all of our tools so we can get to work building things for local festivals and gun shows when they finally start to open back up here in south central Georgia.

Kev

Rickf1985

Hopefully all went well with your tool retrieval trip?

ClydesdaleKevin

Quote from: Rickf1985 on July 04, 2020, 09:06 AM
Hopefully all went well with your tool retrieval trip?

Yep!  Smooth sailing!  The rental van was pretty much brand new, so no problems at all.

Kev

ClydesdaleKevin

So a couple of updates.  Still have a mystery brake fluid leak, so I top off the fluid every 2 weeks...and it takes about 2 ounces to top it off.  Still no tell tale signs of a leak.

I also put in a hard line for the black and grey water tanks, right to the septic system.

And tomorrow I'll be replacing the starter in my wife's 2003 Taurus.  Turns out it is a common problem, but at least Ford made the starter easy to replace.  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eDbXJAOTISE

Kev

Oz

1969 D22, 2 x 1974 D24 Indians, 1977 27' Itasca