Engine options - which ones are appropriate, and for what?

Started by tmsnyder, October 10, 2019, 11:51 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

tmsnyder

As the title suggests, what are your opinions / experiences with various common RV engines?

How big an RV would you consider an engine appropriate to move around the country?

What are your thoughts regarding longevity of the motor?

For instance, on one end of the scale there are smallish class B RVs on a Toyota with an I4 engine and people drive them all over.   Longevity is great with the engines.  Hill climbing is very slow.   Ability to bring along a towd is zero.   The weight of those is what?  5000lb?  This is on one end of the scale of engine size imho.

What are your bare minimums for engines for maximizing the number of trouble free miles you drive?  What are your engine observations?

tmsnyder

What would you consider to be the ideal RV engine considering cost of maintaining, longevity, efficiency, ease of finding parts and repairing?

I hear great things about the Ford 460, but I've never worked on one.  How big an RV would you think this would be appropriate in?

What about the 5.7L GM engine, how big an RV would you ever put this in?

tmsnyder

What would you consider to be the ideal RV engine considering cost of maintaining, longevity, efficiency, ease of finding parts and repairing?

I hear great things about the Ford 460, but I've never worked on one.  How big an RV would you think this would be appropriate in?

tmsnyder

tmsnyder

Curious about everyone's opinion on engine options for RVs.   For each type of engine, what do you consider its maximum size RV worthy?  With and without a towed vehicle?  With mountain travel and with only flat travel.

To kick this off, what do you think the capabilities of the 5.7L GM?

tmsnyder

Curious about everyone's opinion on engine options for RVs.   For each type of engine, what do you consider its maximum size RV worthy?  With and without a towed vehicle?  With mountain travel and with only flat travel.

To kick this off, what do you think the capabilities of the 5.7L GM?