The Journey Home, 2020.

Started by ClydesdaleKevin, March 23, 2020, 10:55 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ClydesdaleKevin

Stay tuned for the next chapter of our adventures!

The journey home!!!

Kev
Kev and Patti, the furry kids, our 1981 Ford F-100 Custom tow vehicle, and our 1995 Itasca Suncruiser Diesel Pusher.

ClydesdaleKevin

We are all packed up, and have left the Arizona Renaissance Festival site.

We are going to stay for a few days at the Lost Dutchman State Park, where we are right now, because we still need to close on selling the business.  Which SHOULD happen today.  Unfortunately the Faire was too damn stubborn to let us stay just a few more days on site, but that is all in the past now.

The view sure is beautiful...right at the base of the Superstition Mountains!

Kev
Kev and Patti, the furry kids, our 1981 Ford F-100 Custom tow vehicle, and our 1995 Itasca Suncruiser Diesel Pusher.

ClydesdaleKevin

The deal is officially done!  Siege The Day is sold! 

Today we signed the contract in front of a notary, we were paid in full, and tomorrow morning we being our long journey back home to Fitzgerald, Georgia from where we are now (Apache Junction, Arizona).  Around 1890 miles...yay!!!

Kev

HandyDan

Are you still going to live in the Winnebago or is a stick and brick in your future?
1984 Holiday Rambler
1997 Newmar Kountry Star

ClydesdaleKevin

Quote from: HandyDan on March 26, 2020, 03:48 AM
Are you still going to live in the Winnebago or is a stick and brick in your future?

Probably just live in the Itasca.  It'll be like living in our own mini RV park, with no other guests...lol!

Kev

ClydesdaleKevin

We made it as far as the Flying J in Lordburg, NM last night...just in time, because a VERY bad storm rolled through with high winds.

We'll be fueling up soon and hitting the road again on I-10 East to I-20 East, getting as far as we can before dark.  It is supposed to be pretty windy in New Mexico today, so the first part of our trip is going to be pretty slow driving.

Kev

ClydesdaleKevin

We made it all the way to the Flying J, in Pecos, Texas, on I-20, and stopped for the night.  CRAZY high winds!  And it is still windy now!

We fueled up when we got here, so we can get an early start.  The goal is to get all the way to the Flying J just outside of Dallas by tomorrow night, a 440 mile pull.

Kev

ClydesdaleKevin

It was really windy at first, but then around Abilene, TX, the wind died, and it was smooth sailing all the way to the Flying J, just east of Dallas!

Of course, that was when we hit a slight speed bump.  Trucks were parked in the RV spots, so I parked in a line of parking spots that were empty in front of the Denny's (because the restaurant was closed to all but curb side service).  And that is when two Barney Fife rent-a-cops came out and said we couldn't park there...and that the truck parking was by reservation only in the back.  what in the world?  There was NO reason for them to make us move with the restaurant essentially closed, but they did!

So we drove across the street to the TA Travel Center, and while we did find a pull through parking spot in the back, they charged us 25.00 for the night.  They said it was because of the high crime in the area, the big homeless problem, and because they had to put a high fence around the entire truck parking area and have 24 hour security.  I paid them the 25 bucks gladly, since we had driven 440 miles.  But then we couldn't get any hot food, since the lobby was closed and it was drive thru only!  what in the world?

So I walked to the Flying J, got an apology from the manager AND the security supervisor, bought some hot food, and walked back to the TA and to the RV, where we will be for the night.

Tomorrow we have a 400 mile trip to a Flying J in Mississippi...and then a 472 mile trip which will bring us home.

Over half way home, with only 872 miles to go!!!

Kev

ClydesdaleKevin

We made it all the way to the Flying J in Pearl, Mississippi.  400 uneventful miles.

When we got here, I discovered that the relay that allows the engine to charge the coach batteries while driving had somehow opened again, and the batteries were only at 12.2 volts on arrival.  And it was getting dark, so solar wasn't an option.  We also discovered that the fridge decided to stop running on propane.  Nothing is melted, but it is getting warmer out, and we still have at least a long day of driving before we get home!  Our fridge and freezer are fully stocked, so it would be a tragedy if the food went bad.

It is a good thing we bought that 2200 watt Honda inverter/generator back in Carolina last year!  I locked it to a rear wheel with a cable lock, started it up, and it is now running the inverter to charge the coach batteries all the way back up, and the fridge (set to high so it will get as cold as it can get).  That should keep the food cold/frozen until we get home...and fully charge back up the coach batteries.  If I can't get the relay to work in the morning, I'll just turn on the solar panels for the trip home to charge the batteries as we drive.  As far as the fridge goes, it is on the same breaker as the converter.  Which means I can't run the fridge off the inverter without having the converter/charger on at the same time (which at best would cause a huge voltage drop as it tries to charge the batteries off the batteries...and at worst could backfeed to my alternator and kill it...so I'm not going to take any chances).  Before our next trip, I'll be adding another breaker to the breaker panel, so the fridge and the converter will have their own breakers.  I'll also troubleshoot and repair the fridge, to make sure it will run off of propane!

Only 471 miles to go, and we'll be home!!!

Kev

ClydesdaleKevin

WE ARE HOME!!!

471 miles, and it was dark when we pulled in, but we are home!

Home sweet home!!!

Kev

LJ-TJ

D:oH! Just intime for a hole new adveture to begin. What's instore for us next. The next chapeter in Paton Place. :)rotflmao  Thanks for taking us along for the ride. :)ThmbUp

Froggy1936

Welcome Home , How is the rig behaving ? What kind of MPG are you getting ? Did you find the propane problem with the fridge ? Again Welcome Home ! Frank & Louie !   
"The Journey is the REWARD !"
Member of 15 years. We will always remember you, Frank.

ClydesdaleKevin

Quote from: Froggy1936 on March 31, 2020, 02:15 PM
Welcome Home , How is the rig behaving ? What kind of MPG are you getting ? Did you find the propane problem with the fridge ? Again Welcome Home ! Frank & Louie !   

The RV is driving fine, and we are averaging around 12mpg pulling the truck.  I didn't figure out what was wrong with the fridge yet, but ran it on the inverter for the rest of the way home.

Thanks!  It sure is beautiful here!

Kev

ClydesdaleKevin

I had a local lawn service guy and his son come over to the property this morning at 9am, and they did an amazing job at a very reasonable price!  Very nice people!

I'll be buying my own lawn tractor, string trimmer, and roto-tiller soon...just waiting on the check to clear my bank.  Because of the large dollar amount, they put a 9 day hold on it...but that is fine.  We're all set on food and whatnot, and sheltering in place, so we aren't in any hurry to spend any more money...lol!

Kev

ClydesdaleKevin

We have the same lawn folks coming over on Friday or Saturday to treat the property for fire ants...again, they quoted us a great price.

Although we are waiting for the check to clear from selling the business, we still have a nice little nest egg set aside...so I'm going to pick up a Troy-Bilt roto tiller from Tractor Supply on Friday.  Gotta get this garden started!

This is the exact tiller we decided to buy after a lot of research and looking at reviews.  Made in the USA!!!   https://www.troybilt.com/en_US/tillers/super-bronco-crt-garden-tiller/21D-65M8766.html

Once the check clears, the lawn tractor we buy is also probably going to be a Troy-Bilt...and also from Tractor Supply, since they seem to have the best prices around here.

Kev

Rickf1985

Interesting, the Tractor Supply stores up here sell nothing but Chinese crap for any and all power equipment. I take that back, they do sell Husqvarna chain saws.

ClydesdaleKevin

The Troy-Bilt roto tiller was also acquired today!  The first garden will be going in over the next couple of days!  https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_continue=6&v=eqEMKJO-g1s

ClydesdaleKevin

So today I set up our chicken brooder pen in the barn (with a brooder heater and heat lamp , waterer and feeder...and bought 13 chicks!  12 of them are ISA Browns, all of them hens...and the thirteenth, which Patti already named Blackie, is a Barred Plymouth Rock rooster (maybe...might be a hen, because they weren't sexed...lol!) https://www.backyardchickencoops.com.au/blogs/learning-centre/5-reasons-to-love-isa-brown-chickens

ClydesdaleKevin

ClydesdaleKevin

This is the style of coop I'll be building over the next couple of weeks!  This looks like the best design I've seen, and I'm sure I can build it a LOT cheaper than buying one already made and having it shipped all the way from Washington state. 
]https://www.urbannorthern.com/collections/coops/products/the-resort-chicken-coop-barn-red-dark-brown-and-clear-stain

joanfenn

Hey Kevin, don't be surprised when more than one of them start crowing in five months time.  That is my experience anyway.

Froggy1936

Looks like they give you a lot of ideas for building, Make sure you use the correct materials, I dont think womanized an good for animal habitat !  good luck and happy break fasts  Frank & Louie
"The Journey is the REWARD !"
Member of 15 years. We will always remember you, Frank.

ClydesdaleKevin

Thanks Frank and Joan!

Today the lawn guy is coming over to spray for fire ants...and I''ll find out from him how long I have to wait to till a garden.  I can't wait to try out the new tiller!

The chicks are doing just fine through the night.  Cute little things!

Kev

ClydesdaleKevin

The fire ants are killed for the season, the baby chicks are doing great, and I marked out the perimeters of the 20X30 first garden we are putting in with Patti's help!

I also have the fertilizer, 5 bags of Black Cow manure, 3 bags of pelletized lime, and a bag of peat moss on hand to mix into the soil. 

Tomorrow morning I get to try out the Troy-Bilt roto tiller for the first time! 

We also acquired a cheap spreader to put everything down on the garden evenly.  And I got some rubber boots from Tractor Supply...lol!

Kev

Elandan2

Hey Kev, you're changing one costume for another, Ren Faire for suburban farmer. You got the boots and next will be the overalls!! LOL
Rick and Tracy Ellerbeck