1975 D25 Indian Restoration - roof replacement

Started by RadioNomad, January 18, 2020, 10:48 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

RadioNomad

Hi all - I've been a member here for about a year but this is my first post.  I've really appreciated all the helpful advice on these forums, so thanks in advance!

In March of 2019 I purchased my 1975 D25 Winnebago Indian.  It was running and in pretty good shape on the inside (compared to a few others I looked at), but the roof was toast.  This summer, we removed the entire roof and engineered a replacement.  (We even drew the new one up in CAD - it was intense).  Besides the roof, we've replaced what feels like most of the rubber and plastic parts in the engine (and a lot of other places), resealed the windows, made new curtains, and put in new flooring just to name a few more major projects.

My favorite project has been the custom radio studio I've built where one of the beds used to be.  The D25 floor plan has been great for what I'm doing.  Since I do a lot of radio production/engineering and plan to live and travel full time in the RV, the studio was a must.

I'll also have the ability to go off-grid with the solar system I've installed.  Here's a link to my blog, which you can go through in reverse chronology: http://qgolive.com/category/winnie/

I'll also post some pictures here.  Hopefully what I've done my give others some ideas/inspiration, as many of you have already done for me!
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Here's the roof after we tore off the vents, air conditioners, and aluminum skin.

And now as a convertible:

We used FRP for the ceiling, 1x2s and 1x4s extensively, and put insulation between them in addition to routing the DC wiring.

Then a layer of lauan plywood and fleece tape later

And the finished roof!

New flooring

And the studio!

Who would even think this was taken in an RV?!

Once again, lots more on the blog, and I'll post more updates here as work continues. Thanks!

Oz

1969 D22, 2 x 1974 D24 Indians, 1977 27' Itasca

yellowrecve

RV repairman and builder of custom luxury motor homes, retired, well, almost, after 48 years.

LJ-TJ

Great job mate :)ThmbUp Most these old girls need a roof replacement. That's why most folks sell them off or wreck them. They don't know the roofs can be fixed. You've just shown it can be done. Thank you. :)clap

RadioNomad

It's TPO roofing material.  I bought a kit from my local trailer parts store.  First, you roll on the adhesive with a paint roller, then you stretch out the TPO (it's like a big tarp).  Then you start from the center working out all the bubbles.  Finally you just trim the edges and install the drip rails!

LJ-TJ

Looks like you've done a real nice job on her. :)ThmbUp

claudio and christine

Wow awesome job.....! Can you walk on it .....?
If you don't mind me asking what did you spend on the roof....??
Oh how long did it take....??
Thank you

RadioNomad

Thank you! Yes, you can walk on it, but I'm always careful using all fours most of the time.  Probably safer for lighter people.  :)  If I were to do it again, I'd probably use 2x2's and give it a slight crown like others have done.  But this is the same thickness as the original structure.

Cost was about $1000 for the actual roofing structure and TPO kit.  The accessories including AC, fans and solar ran another $1000.

Took about 2 months of work 5-6 days a week, but we did have to work around rain so if it had been under cover it wouldn't have taken as long!

sharon051266

I hope my roof looks that amazing and doesn't leak when I get done!  I'm so over the weather I can't wait for spring!,, W% Hm?
Tennessee Rockhound