New to this site

Started by FarPoint, January 05, 2020, 04:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

FarPoint

My first post on this forum - I have to admit, Iââ,¬â,,¢ve been far too busy reading to take time to say hello.
Iââ,¬â,,¢m kind of boggle minded over all the info and resources in one place. Just what I was needed, and I hope I can contribute in the future.
Iââ,¬â,,¢ve previously owned a classic RV that I used to tow my race boat around. I think it was about a 1972 Dodge Swinger?? With a 318. I didnââ,¬â,,¢t really know much about it, as it had been kept in pretty good shape by the 1st owner. Sold it when I changed to a different class ( much heavier) of boat.
Iââ,¬â,,¢ve recently bought a 1996 Winnebego Warrior on a whim, and have been marching through all the ââ,¬Å"deferred maintenanceââ,¬Â issues.
I picked it up from a dealer in Seattle area (back lot special) and it actually made it to itââ,¬â,,¢s new home in Canada.
Which given all the suspension issues- was kinda surprising.
So Iââ,¬â,,¢ve really been enjoying reading some of the back posts about the initial trip home. Makes me smile and nod my head.
Iââ,¬â,,¢ll get My done list together and post it soon.

Of all the things I've lost
I miss my mind, the most...

LJ-TJ

Race Boat,Vintage motorhome. You sure know how to get the juices flowing of some of the guys around here. :)rotflmao  Welcome a board. Looking forward to hearing of your adventuers. Remeber around here "The only dumb question asked here is the one you don't ask." :)ThmbUp

TerryH

Welcome, and good choice on becoming a Life Member. Gives you full access to huge amount of info. I have some good memories of Nanoose Bay. I often used it as a rest/fuel stop when returning from cruising north.
It is not our abilities that show what we truly are - it is our choices.
Albus Dumbledore

Rickf1985

RACE BOAT?! I had several in my (Much) younger days. Sanger V drive, Checkmate V drive and a Checkmate Jet drive. The Sanger had a supercharged big block Chevy and was clocked at 146 MPH. The other two were naturally aspirated big blocks and would do right at 110 but the Checkmate was not as stable as the Sanger. The jet drive was pretty stable but very twitchy, sort of like steering a rocket!

So what size is the Winnie and which suspension does it have on the rear?

FarPoint

Clearly, Iââ,¬â,,¢m gonna have to stay away from Rick  - heââ,¬â,,¢s got MY juices flowinââ,¬â,,¢ now.
Good thing weââ,¬â,,¢re on opposite sides of the continent. I used to race MOD U and CHAMP F1 tunnel hull boats. About the same speed as your Sanger. But would pull 4G corners at the end of a straightaway.
Iââ,¬â,,¢ve since backed off (and slowed down) to Poker Runs. More fun. Prize money is the same. Zero.

The Winnie is a 1997 25 RU - I measured it at about 24ft actual.

Rear suspension is leaf, shocks, and sway bar. No bags. Gotta measure the sway bar(s) and get all new bushings. It currently has urethane and they look like the wrong size. May just go with correct, stock style bushings. ( Iââ,¬â,,¢ve ââ,¬Å"improvedââ,¬Â several performance car suspensions in the past and have had pretty good results and driveability with the rubber bushings)

I replaced the square tires and a bunch of parts on the front end, so it handles OK for now. Better than the initial drive home with the loose (falling off) outboard tie rod end.

Been having tons o fun with the factory ââ,¬Å"Peel and Stickââ,¬Â faux oak woodwork.

FarPoint

Stopping by Nanoose this season Terry?
Maybe you have some good destination ideas for my 1st few trips.
Iââ,¬â,,¢ll probably stay on the Island till I get some miles on the Warrior.

Rickf1985

My boating days are pretty much over. Health issues have gotten to the point I cannot keep up with the maintenance on the boats. I have several laying around but only one was still in running condition as of five years ago when I last had it in the water and that one is a 24 foot Baja with a 454 in it. It will only do about 85 MPH but it so much nicer of a ride! That sitting in a fiberglass bucket, emphasis on "Bucket", with your knees up next to the steering wheel was great when you were a kid. My Sanger is actually still around and owned by the same guy I sold it to in 1979! I ran into him on the creek where we used to race and he asked if I want to take it for a blast. Before my wife had a chance to say Uh....... I was in the boat and gone. I will try to find the pictures my wife took as I went by but I will say that I chickened out at 105 MPH. :-[  The reflexes are just not there anymore. The owner was all smiles, he said he had not had it close to that fast in 20 years and wondered if it still had it in it. My Checkmate jet I sold to an idiot who took it out in the great bay and they are NOT bay boats!!! 3" of free board is not enough for rough water and he nosed it into a big wave and sunk it............ Twice!!!   The other Checkmate I lost track of and that is one I would really like to know the whereabouts of since it was a custom build and it will be around long after we die. Unless someone who doesn't have a clue cuts it up for trash.  Those boats would carve a good turn on flat water but wakes or rough water could make it a white knuckle ride.

The reason I asked about the suspension is because I have the Jet ride air suspension on mine and even though it is a fantastic ride it is a royal pain for maintenance. The rear track rod is proprietary so finding bushings is impossible and getting a replacement from Jet is like 400.00!

FarPoint

105 on a cold run? In a creek? Not bad! Smart to get off the load pedal when you did though. You were operating someone elseââ,¬â,,¢s maintenance program there.

When I stopped in at the RV dealer I was pretty impressed with how simple this Winnie actually was.
A small Class A, simple suspension, no slide outs, no digital meters in sight, big stupid engine, and 4 wheel discs.

I made the front suspension simpler. New proper rate front springs, and no air bags.

Rickf1985

Sen you a PM about the boating. Still looking for the pics. You have me on a mission now.  :D

Oz

1969 D22, 2 x 1974 D24 Indians, 1977 27' Itasca