Andrew's 1989 Winnebago Warrior

Started by WVRV, January 02, 2020, 01:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

WVRV

Hey, I bought this 1989 Winnebago Warrior back in November and started a rebuild.

Chevy P30 chassis 454 7.4L v8 carb

I'm 22, I graduated from West Virginia University and just started my first job. I got a near 400hp VW GTI that has been my daily. I love driving trucks and the idea of having a home (wherever I can fit) and found this bad boy running and driving for $2,700. I HAD to say yes.

The interior was outdated like my grandmas undies, the outside looked worn down, the roof leaked in a spot (no bueno) and the exhaust was loud and smelly (sometimes shoots fire, heck ya).

Let me take you on this journey of mine.

WVRV

This part was (easy). Tools required:

Hammer
Screwdriver
Power drill
Crowbar
Look for screws then smash it out W%

WVRV

Started to paint be doing the living room and kitchen walls. Used a primer and applied using a paint brush and a roller. Found the metal trim did not like to be painted with a brush. The walls were then painted white.

All the cabinets and the A/C housing got a couple layers of primer

Then... winter hit and painting was not working so well so it got shelved to the back burner.

WVRV

I chose a stick n peel vinyl dark wood for the floor. I watched a youtube video of a guy who used a layer of primer then stuck it down.

***USE FLOORING ADHESIVE***

Also make sure to get ALL the carpet staples out and to really give it a good cleaning.

I'd suggest rip out carpet -> sweep/vacuum -> remove all staples > roll on primer
-wait to dry-
then put a thin layer of flooring adhesive down with the applicator that has grooves

Measure/cut (cardboard is good to mock it up) use a razor blade to score it using a straight edge. Curved bits use extremely sharp scissors

Use one of those snap line markers to ensure your floor is straight. I read to start from the middle and work outward.
Then slap that sucker on and repeat

I didnt use the flooring adhesive for this part and I regret it, but I used it moving forward. When I redo this floor ill use this approach.

WVRV

Chose two packs pretty sweet LED 12v Edison bulb. Super warm and bright (maybe a bit too bright) but works awesome.

Cut all the wiring on the interior since its all old and butt connectors and not fantastic. I just ran the wires through white wire runners on the ceiling and through the cabinets. When the wiring is down it will all be loomed and ziptied.

Utilized a master battery shut off switch and a fuse block I bought off Amazon. Everything was soldered and taped  :)ThmbUp

Each switch panel had its own fuse and I put two 4 rocker panels, so a total of 8 available switches at the moment.

WVRV

I initially wanted a U-shaped booth, but eventually decided the table would be too small and everyone would be playing footsie.

Scrapped the idea and went for a typical dinette. Ill' update w some measurements

Used wood to construct the framing held together by screws and wood glue. Then used a heavy plywood for the bench and lighter plywood for the backing. Then slapped 4 studs on the corner and more thin plywood on the edges to the floor

Then finished the flooring up to the wall

WVRV

Added some dimmable fairy lights (seen in future posts) and a backsplash to the kitchen for some flare. Speakers were finally installed w a cheap head unit to have music while I work. A friend of mine is giving me his old head unit soon.

WVRV

Chose a white marble looking vinyl tile from Lowe's for the back. Halfway through I needed more tile and it was discontinued... 3 days after I bought the first half and glued it down. Gave me an opportunity to choose a 3rd unique floor for the bathroom. All laid with the previous method.

WVRV

Finally got the fridge out. There were large metal brackets holding the rear in. Ended up dirnking a couple beers and tore a wall down to get the bolts off and the beast out.

Man this part was not fun. But its out  :P

Ripped out the LPG heater for kitchen cabinet space and the bed to loft it higher for storage. Left in the rear heater, since that works well off of the engine

WVRV

Built the framing for the kitchen using the same wood I framed the dinette with.
Waiting on the sink to add in all the extra support beams. I'm looking for a single deep ~8" stainless sink .

Looking for butcherblock edge board like the last attachment for the counter top and table top

Bought a jig pocket hole system to get those in.
More wood, more glue, more screw

WVRV

Since its cold and I hate painting (so I found)

...you guessed it more vinyl! This time I got a wall adhesive

Same wood from the floor for the bathroom walls and a lighter tone for the bedroom

WVRV

Working at a custom car shop for a couple years most of my work involved 12v wiring and its coming in handy.

Got some LED strips in the main room controlled by a touch panel, then more in the bedroom on a separate remote. All fused thought the fusebox

WVRV

I bought a chandelier for the hallway and a flush mount light for the bathroom. Come to find out, the bathroom fixture was 120v and the chandelier needed G9 base bulbs.

This was disappointing, but not the end. I couldnt find any G9 12v LED bulbs, so I soldered in an LED I had laying around (still looking for the second)

The bathroom fixture I soldered wires to one of those edison bulbs then hot glued it in and mounted.

Sweet, there's light in the back now

WVRV

Where I'm at now

Tech:
Reverse camera
Tablet for Carplay
Bought a curved Samsung 27" monitor to mount on the cabinet to the left of the microwave
Waiting on the new head unit

***Looking for recommendations on ways to cast my phone to HDMI without using a WiFi network. I have unlimited data, so I'd prefer to just cast from my phone or devices, but Amazon Fire stick and Google Chromecast needs a network to connect to and hotspot isn't the best option currently***

Currently powered off of the ac adapter and inverter. It takes in 14v DC so I bought a STEP-UP Transformer (12V to 14V 5A 70W) DC/DC Power Converter Voltage Regulator to see if that will work instead.

Bed:
Some framing built, but needs to be finished

Decor:
Half the shelves up
Getting curtain fabric
Bought 4" foam to upholster the dinette

Roof:
Currently under a tarp
Need to remove awning since the crank handle is where its leaking
Need to reseal AC unit
Have dicor lap sealant and eternabond tape to seal roof rection.
Gonna replace that whole roof come summer hopefully.

Appliances I Need:
Fridge
Sink
Toilet
Chinese diesel heater

Exhaust:
The piping from the manifold back has been removed
Removing the AIR system in the manifolds and welding the ports shut with steel rod
Welding on full exhaust with new mufflers

Generator:
Needs a spark plug, filter, and oil.
Might replace with a Harbor Freight generator.
Not sure yet.

Exterior:
Plastidip the whole thing

Bathroom is last to be completed.

Rickf1985

That is a lot of work and it looks like you got a really nice one to start with. I am really curious as to why you ripped out the propane heater when the infrastructure for heat was all there and in place? Adding the diesel heater is fine but now you have to find a place to put the tank and that is another source of fuel you need to maintain when the propane was already there for powering the hot water and also the stove and fridge.

If I read that right you are stepping up the 12 volt to 14 volts and then into an invertor up to 110 volts AC? This is a REALLY bad idea and will kill your batteries in less than an hour with minimal ac usage.  Take the amperage draw of your ac device and multiply that times ten and that will give you a rough estimate of how much you will be pulling out of the batteries. And that is not taking into consideration the power loss across the invertor, which there will be some.

WVRV

Thanks! Its been a labor of love. I bought this off ebay to step 12v dc up to 14v dc. The inverter is just whats running now for the power supply that came with the led monitor.

The propane system wasnt functioning so I just ripped it out. I could...maybe put the diesel tank where the propane system was but honestly ive just been a bit too afraid to mess with it. Ive also heard these propane systems create moisture, and Id like dry heat from the diesel. Thoughts?

Im tempted to go solar, but I havent even used the rig yet for a trip. As is the monitor draws little power, but finding a way to charge uo again would be good. When im plugged into shoreline as is it doesnt charge the batteries. Could I go for just a normal battery charger or do I need one of those $200+ converters. Ive replaced all the fuses in my AC breaker box

For the stove im just gonna use a plug in cooktop. I figure with most of my electric load being LED that id save a lot on power. The fridge and hot water heater are 100% up in the air. I feel more comfortable with 12v everything, but if I can get some info on my propane system thatd help a ton

Rickf1985

Well, I will address the propane for now. The electric side of things you really need to do some research. You are not going to be able to run an electric home from solar using 110 volt anything. using 12 volt is ok but not 12 volt resistance things like a stove. You simply will not have the power. Google RV electric 101 and you will get more info than you will ever need on that subject. You can use a regular battery charger to charge the batteries but sooner or later you will want to get a proper converter since it also runs the 12 stuff in the coach while you are plugged in.

The propane heater you tore out introduces no moisture into the insides since it is like any other heater in a house, it has a burner assembly separate from the interior heating air. The air is recirculated around a heat exchanger and ducted throughout the coach. Very efficient and no moisture. The diesel one will do the same and you can most likely tie it into the original ductwork. It may not have as powerful of a fan though. The propane hot water heater also put no moisture into the interior as it is also vented outside as is the fridge. The only thing that runs off of propane that would put moisture in the air is the stove and you are generally not using the stove for that long. Plus just cooking generally puts moisture in the air.

Just a thought on the propane system not working, does it have a gas detector mounted close to the floor and was it tripped? If so there is usually a valve on the gas line that shuts off if that gas detector trips and that valve has to be reset. If the monitor is old you are not going to be able to reset it since they do age out after ten years or so.

LJ-TJ

:)rotflmao :)rotflmao :)rotflmao  I love it. I love the lighting. Looks like a rolling whorehouse.  :)rotflmao :)rotflmao :)rotflmao  God to be young again. :D

Rickf1985

Something you want to tell us, and LJ, about your youth there TJ? W% D:oH! :)rotflmao :)rotflmao :)rotflmao :)rotflmao :)rotflmao :)rotflmao :)rotflmao :)rotflmao :)rotflmao :)rotflmao :)rotflmao :)rotflmao :)rotflmao :)rotflmao