Winter Vacation, 2019-2020!

Started by ClydesdaleKevin, December 02, 2019, 06:00 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Froggy1936

RE: Dallas on my last trip from Houston Going thru Dallas was a breeze all 4 lane Roads going North was in and out without seeing 1 red light ! Hope you find east to west the same Have a safe trip !
"The Journey is the REWARD !"
Member of 15 years. We will always remember you, Frank.

HandyDan

Once you use a zero turn mower you will forget about that lawn tractor.  A trailer hooks on the back of a zero turn just like a lawn tractor.  However, price wise the zero turn will be about double a lawn tractor. 
1984 Holiday Rambler
1997 Newmar Kountry Star

LJ-TJ

Well now this is something I might just know about. Find a nice Used Kobota Diesel Zero Turn Mower. Should be able to get one at a reasonable price in the States. You'll love it. How do I know. I cut a 3,600 foot piece of grass 150' wide every week. That doesn't include the other 10 arcers.Works like a dream. Worth every penny you spend on it.

Rickf1985

Until you have to mow a hill! Even better, a hill next to water. I pulled my guys out of the water more times than I can count and yes, I ended up in there a few times myself. Those zero turns are great on flat ground but get one on a hill in any direction but pointing up and you are in for a ride!

ClydesdaleKevin

So here is our trip so far!

On Sunday, we made it all the way to Alabama and pulled into a gas station in a truck parking area, between a whole bunch of other trucks.  The gas station had a Hunt Brother's Pizza, so I went inside.  Bars on all the windows, bullet proof glass, and the locals were...umm...scary looking to say the least.  We woke up the next morning to find that ALL the trucks had left while we were sleeping.  It was cold and rainy, but all was well with the rig.  Turns out the town we staying in was Selma!  What a dangerous Schiff-hole!  Even the truck drivers were smart enough not to stay the night...lol!

Anyhow, the next day we made it all the way to the border of Texas, to the Flying J at Exit 3, Greenfield, Louisiana.  I-20 going through Shreveport, LA was a nightmare!  BANG BANG BANG BANG BANG for miles!

Yesterday, we drove through Dallas and Fort Worth, and it was a breeze!  Very little traffic and very smooth roads.  We made it all the way to Tye, TX, only 277 miles away from the intersection with I-10, and only 440 miles from Anthony, TX, our goal for today.  Anthony, TX is right on the border to New Mexico, past El Paso.

We are making great time!

The only problem we are having is that the alternator isn't charging the coach batteries, so I'm guessing it is a bad solenoid or fuse on a solenoid.  We've been keeping the coach batteries charged instead by leaving the solar panels on while driving, and using the Honda generator at night.

We are over half way there!

Kev
Kev and Patti, the furry kids, our 1981 Ford F-100 Custom tow vehicle, and our 1995 Itasca Suncruiser Diesel Pusher.

Froggy1936

ClydesdaleKevin

Quote from: Froggy1936 on January 29, 2020, 05:56 PM
What was the banging ??

The suspension bottoming out over miles of washboard speedbumps right on the Interstate.  There weren't even any warning signs like "Rough Road Ahead."  We had to slow down to 40 mph and it was still a rough ride!  I-90 going through Minnesota is exactly the same, and is where we almost lost our generator when the spot welds broke!

Kev
Kev and Patti, the furry kids, our 1981 Ford F-100 Custom tow vehicle, and our 1995 Itasca Suncruiser Diesel Pusher.

ClydesdaleKevin

We made it all the way to Anthony, TX tonight, and are staying at the Flying J on the New Mexico border. 

Tomorrow we have a fairly short 349 miles to drive to the Flying J in Eloy, AZ...and then on Friday morning just another 55 miles to the Arizona Renaissance Festival!  We will be on site nice and early Friday to check in at the office and start setting up.

So far we are making GREAT time!  The roads and the weather have been really good to us this year.

Kev

Rickf1985

Quote from: ClydesdaleKevin on January 29, 2020, 08:45 PM
The suspension bottoming out over miles of washboard speedbumps right on the Interstate.  There weren't even any warning signs like "Rough Road Ahead."  We had to slow down to 40 mph and it was still a rough ride!  I-90 going through Minnesota is exactly the same, and is where we almost lost our generator when the spot welds broke!

Kev
Sounds like you need to look into some new shocks, I would bet the ones on there are originals.

ClydesdaleKevin

Quote from: Rickf1985 on January 30, 2020, 10:08 AM
Sounds like you need to look into some new shocks, I would bet the ones on there are originals.

It is on the list!  And if that doesn't fix it, I might have to put new leaf springs on...as they sit dead flat with no curve, front and back.  The rig is 25 years old after all.

Kev

ClydesdaleKevin

We are about to fuel up and travel the last 349 miles to a Flying J in Arizona...and then tomorrow we'll drive the last 55 miles to the Faire.

Kev

Rickf1985

Quote from: ClydesdaleKevin on January 30, 2020, 11:49 AM
It is on the list!  And if that doesn't fix it, I might have to put new leaf springs on...as they sit dead flat with no curve, front and back.  The rig is 25 years old after all.

Kev

I don't know if your travels take you near this place but this is where I have bought all the springs and the rear bags for mine. Good prices and they know what they are talking about.

http://www.stengelbros.com/

ClydesdaleKevin

Quote from: Rickf1985 on January 30, 2020, 06:44 PM

I don't know if your travels take you near this place but this is where I have bought all the springs and the rear bags for mine. Good prices and they know what they are talking about.

http://www.stengelbros.com/

Thanks Rick!  I might even look into the availability of aftermarket air bags to go in between the leaf springs and the frame, front and rear.  I seem to remember seeing listings for them for many different types of chassis.

Kev

ClydesdaleKevin

We are safely at the Flying J in Eloy, Arizona for the night. 

Only 55 miles left of our journey, and we'll arrive nice and early tomorrow at the Arizona Renaissance Festival!

Kev

Rickf1985

Quote from: ClydesdaleKevin on January 30, 2020, 09:15 PM
Thanks Rick!  I might even look into the availability of aftermarket air bags to go in between the leaf springs and the frame, front and rear.  I seem to remember seeing listings for them for many different types of chassis.

Kev
Those add-on air bags will not give you anywhere near as good of a ride as a new set of properly sized leaf springs will. Most people think air bags will give a softer ride because they are "air". Not true since they are actually adding to the spring rate of the existing springs. On mine I have nothing but air bags, like in buses and trucks so I get a nice soft ride but it is due to the very large volume of air in the bag and also in the reservoir that feeds it. When I replaced those bags just one of them cost more than both of your leaf springs will cost!!!! Now I still need to find track rod bushings and Jet used their own stuff. Proprietary is very expensive and I will machine my own from Poly bushings before I pay 700.00 for a complete track rod!!!!

ClydesdaleKevin

Quote from: Rickf1985 on January 31, 2020, 08:40 AM
Those add-on air bags will not give you anywhere near as good of a ride as a new set of properly sized leaf springs will. Most people think air bags will give a softer ride because they are "air". Not true since they are actually adding to the spring rate of the existing springs. On mine I have nothing but air bags, like in buses and trucks so I get a nice soft ride but it is due to the very large volume of air in the bag and also in the reservoir that feeds it. When I replaced those bags just one of them cost more than both of your leaf springs will cost!!!! Now I still need to find track rod bushings and Jet used their own stuff. Proprietary is very expensive and I will machine my own from Poly bushings before I pay 700.00 for a complete track rod!!!!

I'll keep it in mind, Rick!  It looks like the leaf springs for our rig are around 300 bucks each...so not bad at all.  And they look fairly simple to replace on this beast.

Kev

ClydesdaleKevin

Safe touchdown at the Arizona Renaissance Festival!

Camp is all set up, including the dog pen and awning.

Tomorrow I'll be setting up the workshop carport (frame is already up), and then getting all of my tools out of my friend Dave's booth.  And then Sunday I'll set up our pavilion tent and set up our booth.

Then I'll be building catapults all week to get ready for opening weekend...which is next weekend!

Kev

c farmer

I like reading your journeys.   Great job posting .

Rickf1985

300.00 each sounds kind of steep unless prices have really gone up in the last couple years. I put new leafs on both my F350 and on my CUCV Military Chevy pick up and I paid right around 125.00 per spring on those. Granted yours will be a bit heavier but probably not much heavier than the ones on the military truck. Do some shopping around. I would expect to pay that price for custom made springs where you go and get it scaled fully loaded with food, people, dogs, water and full holding tanks. Then you take the scale slip to the spring shop and they build you a set of springs to match. If it is a good shop they can build thinner leaf springs with more leaves that ride really smooth.

ClydesdaleKevin

Quote from: Rickf1985 on February 01, 2020, 10:24 AM
300.00 each sounds kind of steep unless prices have really gone up in the last couple years. I put new leafs on both my F350 and on my CUCV Military Chevy pick up and I paid right around 125.00 per spring on those. Granted yours will be a bit heavier but probably not much heavier than the ones on the military truck. Do some shopping around. I would expect to pay that price for custom made springs where you go and get it scaled fully loaded with food, people, dogs, water and full holding tanks. Then you take the scale slip to the spring shop and they build you a set of springs to match. If it is a good shop they can build thinner leaf springs with more leaves that ride really smooth.

Yeah...they are a little pricey.  The website you provided sure are proud of their Oshkosh leaf springs...lol!  https://www.stengelbros.net/Oshkosh-Leaf-Springs_c_220.html

Kev

Froggy1936

Wow, :( I saved that address because that place is close by But those prices rival the price of a used R/V !  Frank

Rickf1985

Sorry, I never bought Oshkosh stuff from them. Technically a spring is a spring, There is no difference between makes and models besides width and length and position of the center pin. I friend of mine ran a spring shop for years and he never even asked what it was for as long as you gave him the pertinent measurements. Or if you took the vehicle there he did not care if it was a Ford or a Mercedes, He got the measurements and made the springs, same price for all according to size of spring. You could do the same thing but you will need to get all of the measurements. Spring width, length from eye to eye, Spring eye diameter and spring bolt diameter. Center pin location measured from each end. Usually they want the pin measurement from the solid mount which is usually the front. And last but not least the weight from a scale slip divided by two to get the individual spring weight. But I will warn you if you plan to do them yourself to buy new U bolt and new spring bolts and just plan on cutting the old ones of since at least the spring eye bolts are most likely seized into the bushings. The U-bolts are usually rusted bad enough that they are a pain to get off and not really safe to use over anyway.

Rickf1985

Quote from: ClydesdaleKevin on February 01, 2020, 11:14 AM
Yeah...they are a little pricey.  The website you provided sure are proud of their Oshkosh leaf springs...lol!  https://www.stengelbros.net/Oshkosh-Leaf-Springs_c_220.html

Kev

I just followed your link and the springs you are looking at are for heavy trucks and tractors! Probably in the 25 -30,000 lb. range per axle!!!!!! When you specify Oshkosh only you will be looking at the heaviest things out there since that is all they generally build. Plow trucks, airport firefighting truck and the infamous military vehicles. I just looked up springs for a 80's-90's Chevy P30 which is going to be in the same vicinity and they were 250.00 each. Higher than I expected but not outrageous. You are going to have heavier springs on the rear due to the rear engine but still should be no more than 350.00. Scale it and call them with the scale numbers and at least have the width and length and they will get you a lot closer.

DaveVA78Chieftain

TOP Run Models 10 & 12 had a 4BT engine  (I do not have a parts book for these models)
ON/VOY Models 14, 16,& 18 had a 6BT engine

The JD/Oshkosh ON/VOY parts book I have says rear springs are:

ON/VOY-14 - 9,000lb Rear Axle, , OEM P/N RW24353
ON/VOY-16 - 10,000lb Rear Axle, OEM P/N RW24342, Stengel Bros P/N 71-145
ON/VOY-18 - 12,000lb Rear Axle, OEM P/N RW24343, Stengel Bros P/N 71-147
[move][/move]

ClydesdaleKevin

I just did a thing!  I traded our 1998 Jeep Cherokee for a one owner 1981 Ford F-100 pickup truck!  This thing is a creampuff!  One owner, and lived its entire life on a ranch in Show Low, AZ.  Zero rust, no accidents, and pretty much zero dents.  Runs like a top!  2WD auto, so I'll have to disconnect the driveshaft like I used to with the K5 Blazer...but it is worth it with this beastie!  It only has 140K on the stock 300CI engine...and the Jeep has 185K.  I'll have to fix the AC too, but the Jeep needs the AC fixed, and it will be cheaper to fix the AC in the Ford.  Body is 9/10.  Interior needs a new dash pad, floor carpet, and seat cover...but still in better shape than the much newer Jeep interior.

I'm pretty excited!  Wifey isn't all that happy, but she will be when she sees it!

I'm picking it up tomorrow.  I told the seller I would only trade if he put in a new battery and belts and changed the oil, so he is doing that tonight.

Sweet!

Kev