Winterizing Question

Started by DeDONRAGE, October 29, 2019, 01:00 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

DeDONRAGE

So Im using my RV roughly 3 days a week.  I drive it to work and stay on site.  Then drive it home.  So its not going to be put up for the winter.  How do others handle this when say full timing.  I mean I dont want to be surprised by busted pipes etc due to freezing.  The fresh water tank in my rv in inside.  So hopefully that will be enough to keep it from freezing should it get that cold.  But curious on how others handle this since I wont be storing it for the winter.
TIA

ClydesdaleKevin

It depends on just how cold it gets in your area in the winter.  If you have mild winters where the temps aren't going to drop below 30 degrees F too often, you should be fine the way you are...especially if you are hooked up to a sewer connection, where you can leave your water running at a trickle if it is going to be an especially cold night.

If you are somewhere that gets REALLY cold, then get tank heater pads for your holding tanks, wrap every water pipe that is in a compartment or exposed under the rig in heater tape/ribbon, and then wrap your hose in heater tape/ribbon and cover it with those foam pipe covers they sell at places like Home Depot.

Kev
Kev and Patti, the furry kids, our 1981 Ford F-100 Custom tow vehicle, and our 1995 Itasca Suncruiser Diesel Pusher.

Rickf1985

I see you have an 89, Mine is also an 89 but it is a Chieftain. Most of these are set up so that all of the water systems are in heated or semi-heated areas and technically should not freeze as long as you are not talking about 0 degree temps. NOW, with that said you have to remember that this is a 30 year old RV and all of those seals on the bay doors and cabinets are surely compromised so cold air is going to be getting in. I think what Kevin suggested is the best route to take and hopefully you have access to shore power to keep heat tapes going and batteries charged for tank warmers. On mine they SAY the waste valve area will not freeze, Yea, right! There is little to no insulation there and openings all over so that is an area of high concern and definitely a place for heat tape.

tmsnyder

The safest bet is to drive South until you see palm trees.   Viola, you are winterized!

ClydesdaleKevin

Quote from: tmsnyder on October 29, 2019, 11:37 AM
The safest bet is to drive South until you see palm trees.   Viola, you are winterized!

LOL!
Kev and Patti, the furry kids, our 1981 Ford F-100 Custom tow vehicle, and our 1995 Itasca Suncruiser Diesel Pusher.

DeDONRAGE

I live in Dallas Texas.  I don't have shore power 3 days a week when parked.  When I sleep in it I run gen.  Ill have heater going then.  But 16+ hours a day it will be parked with no electricity.  So it sounds like I just need to winterize it.  We don't often but do have freezing temps.

Rickf1985

If it drops down to 28-30 degrees at night that usually happens around 2:00- 3:00 in the morning and your lines are not going to freeze as long as it is warming up during the day. Especially if there is sunshine. That alone will warm it up inside a bit. If it is going down below freezing for a full day then yes, I would suggest winterizing the lines with RV antifreeze and using bottled water for your needs and a Sani-potti for the toilet.
Here is a link to the 5 gallon model but they also have 2 1/2 gallon models. I have had these on boats and they work great. The tank is easy to take out and empty into a toilet in a house.

https://www.homedepot.com/p/Dometic-5-0-Gal-SaniPottie-965-Portable-Toilet-with-Mounting-Brackets-in-White-311096506/306310387?mtc=Shopping-BA-F_HC_A-G-D25T-25_31_GARAGE_AUTOMOTIVE-NA-NA-Feed-PLA-NA-NA-Auto_RLSA&cm_mmc=Shopping-BA-F_HC_A-G-D25T-25_31_GARAGE_AUTOMOTIVE-NA-NA-Feed-PLA-NA-NA-Auto_RLSA-71700000037147753-58700004141485307-92700048672352088&gclid=Cj0KCQjw6eTtBRDdARIsANZWjYa0NhfT1jaMmLm5ROgKakLPAd2-_Rz9z13WoBEeKjiSi_aCJ_CSkGUaAqLdEALw_wcB&gclsrc=aw.ds