Ford rim exchange from 8 lug 16.5 inch to 16 inch.

Started by JDxeper, December 28, 2010, 07:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

JDxeper

My 68 F-17 currently has 9.5 x 16.5 tires on front and on the duals.  The duals touch so the fitment is poor.  I need new tires anyway.  I am considering changing to 16 inch rims.  The current rims are not coned or coined( inners and outters).  What Ford rims can I use. Any specific off sets?  The current rims are 8 lug with 6.5 inch centers and a large hub hole.  Any input welcomed.
JD
Tumble Bug "Rollin in MO" (JD)

jkilbert

double check with a tire shop, but the mechanic that does our ambulances has said that the new style (10 small holes) will not interchange with the old style (4 large holes) due to a diffrerent angle in the rim. so it sounds like you would need early 90's or older to work. just so you know all of the tires that we had on the ambulances were 245/75r16lt
Greetings from the steel buckle of the rust belt

Oz

Aside from any replies from anyone here, you could call the custom wheel manufacturers in the Resource List.  They may have very detailed info on sizing, off-set and maybe even fitment.
1969 D22, 2 x 1974 D24 Indians, 1977 27' Itasca

JDxeper

Got the rims for the 68 F 17.
The front rims have zero off set and 16 inch by 6 in with 8 lug on 6.5 bolt circle with a hub hole of 4.9 inches.  Got two re manufactured ones for $40 each.

Now the good part.  the rears duallys are the same as the 16 inch I have for the 78 Brave. Dodge chassis.
They are 16 inches X 6 in with 8 lug on 6.5 inch bolt circle with a hub  of 4.9 inch and are coned.( coined, inners and outters. The dual wheels have a 5.35 inch off set.

On another decision what color should they be painted, white, black or other.  I have stainless steel dog dishes for the front and plan on stainless center caps for the duals.

Oz

If you had stanless outer rim rings and lug covers, black would be the bomb!  (or even painted the outer ring silver.)
1969 D22, 2 x 1974 D24 Indians, 1977 27' Itasca

JDxeper

I have added some rim picts to the gallery.  I have chrome beauty rings, dog dish for the front and hub center caps for the duals.  Really like some of the colors,  Maybe Ford blue, with same color bumpers. Hm? 

Its done Black rims!

http://www.classicwinnebagos.com/forum/index.php?action=mgallery;sa=album;id=235

pwf16129

just did this on my 1985 midas freeport went to a local truck salvage wound up wit a mix of wheels as far as to appearance but all had same offset matched up set on rear duals where had same wheel on inner both sides.and the on the outers bought 235-85 16s they are taller and similar section size measured all my clearances with air bags down cleared good excellant with bags up handle a lot more weight then the 16.5s figured slowing down the revs couldn't hurt fuel mileage good luck

JDxeper

I went with the 235/85/16 also.  They fit good. :)clap

JDxeper

chicknnhead

was trying to look at these, but access denied, is it me?

RedneckExpress

How very strange!  I've never seen a Class A body Winnebago using the old SRW front axle and standard duals on the rear, I've only ever seen that configuration on older Dodge Van Chassis models. 

I created something similar when I did an axle swap on my truck:

And whatever Album you linked to there, I can find it in your personal albums area, either. 
Follow along with me as I full-time the Redneck Way in [url=http://

DaveVA78Chieftain

It is not you guys,
It appears JD does not have general access set for his F17 Interior Before, Chassis, and Electrical sub-directories.

Dave
[move][/move]

JDxeper

I changed the access.  I had not changed after building the albums. D:oH!

chicknnhead

switching from 16.5 to 16, So since i did this several years back on my 76 dodge(write-ups in the dodge section), my buddy bought a 81 ford holiday rambler Class B and needs help doing the same. both front and rear are dually

IT seems in my research, 81 and down fords used hub centric wheels(coined) then in 82or 84 ford went to lug centric and started using flat wheels

i have some ford dually wheels that are flat and are dated 86. i read somewhere you can use ford wheels up to 97

has anyone every changed their ford chassis to ford wheels? or just used dodge 16 inch wheels on their ford?

project starts next week...stayed tuned

chicknnhead

thought i would update this
my buddies Ford holiday Rambler is and 81. and it seems to be true if you don't want to change studs and spindles 81 and older fords can replace their coined 16.5 wheels with 16 dodge wheels. we tried the 82+ ford non coined wheels and they are lug centric not hub centric wheels.

So far spent all summer locating dodge coined off 82-93 dodge dually trucks. found 6 wheels so far, working trying to locate the 7th one for the spare. but all the tests fits have gone well
Plan now is to sand blast the wheels and paint them, they will get chrome simulators but it doesn't hurt to have descent wheels

he is holding until spring to purchase tires, no since buying tires now and letting them sit all winter.

Froggy1936

$@!#@! $@!#@! There is no such thing as  coined wheels They are coned NOT COINED  GRRRRRRRRRR !!!! CONED   CONED    Frank
"The Journey is the REWARD !"
Member of 15 years. We will always remember you, Frank.

joanfenn

shhh Frank don't pop something.  You are still recovering.   :)ThmbUp

Froggy1936

"The Journey is the REWARD !"
Member of 15 years. We will always remember you, Frank.

chicknnhead

Rickf1985