Schrader Valves Under The Hood?

Started by Jamo, September 07, 2019, 07:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jamo

On my '89, 27' Chieftain, there are two schrader (sp?) valves under the hood. Are they for front airbags? What pressure should they be set at?

John
"In your guts you know he's nuts"

Rickf1985

Yes and the pressure varies by personal taste but 40-60 is average. If they have not been filled for years they will be bad I pretty much guarantee.

Jamo

Thanks, Rick. Is there also a set of airbags for the rear? If so, do you know where they are or should be?

John
"In your guts you know he's nuts"

Rickf1985

They used several different types of suspension on the rear of these units. They had rubber springs (Hope you don't have them since they are impossible to find and replace) they had regular leaf springs and they had Jet ride air suspension which is what is on mine. It is a fairly complicated air ride suspension that uses regular full size air bags as the springs. If you have that you can see the large bags from the rear and both exhausts will exit in front of the drivers side rear tire since there is no room for them to go over the axle.

And then there is aleways the possibility that someone added auxiliary air bags to the rear also.

ClydesdaleKevin

Quote from: Rickf1985 on September 08, 2019, 06:41 PM
They used several different types of suspension on the rear of these units. They had rubber springs (Hope you don't have them since they are impossible to find and replace) they had regular leaf springs and they had Jet ride air suspension which is what is on mine. It is a fairly complicated air ride suspension that uses regular full size air bags as the springs. If you have that you can see the large bags from the rear and both exhausts will exit in front of the drivers side rear tire since there is no room for them to go over the axle.

And then there is aleways the possibility that someone added auxiliary air bags to the rear also.

Correction:  You can still get the MorRyde rubber shear springs from MorRyde.  They are very expensive however (around 600.00 for all four, two per side), and almost impossible to do yourself (although I did manage it...barely).  MorRyde is located in Elkhart, Indiana. 

Kev
Kev and Patti, the furry kids, our 1981 Ford F-100 Custom tow vehicle, and our 1995 Itasca Suncruiser Diesel Pusher.

tmsnyder

$150 a piece??   Kevin if you think that's expensive don't buy a GMC motorhome.  :)rotflmao

Rickf1985

My air bags were 215.00 each.  New leaf springs are usually under a hundred or right at it.

ClydesdaleKevin

Quote from: tmsnyder on September 09, 2019, 08:58 AM
$150 a piece??   Kevin if you think that's expensive don't buy a GMC motorhome.  :)rotflmao

LOL!  Depending on the time of the year, 50.00 can seem expensive.  :-D

Kev
Kev and Patti, the furry kids, our 1981 Ford F-100 Custom tow vehicle, and our 1995 Itasca Suncruiser Diesel Pusher.

BrandonMc

I bought a kit for both, 79.99, and installed them myself. 

Be cautious of slackers at alignment shops deflating one side and calling it an alignment.

I use 55lbs each side for mine.

Rickf1985

Quote from: BrandonMc on September 11, 2019, 11:52 AM
I bought a kit for both, 79.99, and installed them myself. 

Be cautious of slackers at alignment shops deflating one side and calling it an alignment.

I use 55lbs each side for mine.

Been there got that one. Also got my money back!