318-3 transmission throttle linkage kludged after 4bbl swap

Started by dave shep, August 21, 2019, 05:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

dave shep

Hi,
I am the owner of a newly acquired '73 brave d18 with it's original 81k mile 318-3 and trans.  I already have quite a list of items to do but the top item is the transmission shifting.
She had a 4bbl Edelbrock intake & carb swap done some time ago. (Carb a little rich).. She has no downshift under load and 2-3 upshifts are smooth but very, quick. 
I suspect it's been operated in this manner for some time, which is not good for the trans or drivability.  I hope it's just a trans throttle issue.
A 1 piece trans throttle rod and single upper bellcrank is in place and functioning.. kinda..  It's quite long, has lots of initial flex to it and may have been bent in the past to make adjustments. 
Can I use a factory 4bbl small block Mopar rod and bellcrank to replace the noodle looking rod that I have?
Should I consider replacing the rod and bell crank with something like the Lokar cable set-up?  I'm not too sure what kind of carb brackets I may need to do that correctly. 

Does anyone have any advice for me?  Picture of a successful rod and/or cable set-up? 

Thanks.
Dave Shepard

BamBam

We need to see what you've got. I have a feeling your missing some linkage, surf around the net and look at different setups. It should look like this. Good Luck

turbinebronze

If I remember right all the adjustment is, that when at idle, the linkage should be returned all the way to one end of travel (loose), and at wide open throttle the linkage should be maxed out in travel. As long as it's not binding and it reaches max travel at WOT, you are good.
My 318-3 shifts soon and has not much (if any) down shift. It seems to rely on the torque converter to much. I have a tach on her and it doesn't like to rev past 3000 rpm to much. I do manually down shift her when I hit a hill. She won't downshift unless I have my foot deep into it.
Just my 2 cents...
   Craig

Rickf1985

I am assuming you changed the carb again? That is a thermobog on there now. That is a lot of carb for a 318.

dave shep

thanks for the replies...  no, not my TQ...  :-) ââ,¬Â¦but I have one on my TrailDuster 360cid and love it....  and my long gone Cordoba 400cid... my Brave has a Edelbrock street master 4bbl intake and
Edelbrock
1406 2729 carb.  So I assume the 2bbl to 4bbl swap took place some time in the 1970's as those intakes have not been available for a long time.   

I've attached a pic of my setup.  It looks like the factory 2bbl, bellcrank and 1 piece rod.   I have fabbed a longer upper rod but now have no slot.  I will do something better.  I also don't have the throw on the trans arm to push it all the way open..  only to 90 degrees to the trans body.. just to where the internal spring starts to provide resistance.  I've ordered the Edelbrock linkage adapter to see if I can get more throw with a longer pivot arm.

The accelerator pedal does open the carb throttle all the way..  can't wait to take a test drive...  i'll keep you updated. 

dave shep

wrong picture..sorry...  that was my first attempt...  opening the linkage via a spring...  I've done better...  opening it with the throttle..

pushing as opposed to pulling it open..

turbinebronze

Hi Rick,
  I love the Thermoquad's! Small primaries and a variable venturi secondary. If the spring is adjusted right on the rear barrels she will run well. I had one on a 318 for years.
   (Sorry-I'm not hijacking the thread....)
I had to make a lever a little taller for the trans kick down linkage to have more travel at the trans. I switched 2 bbl carbs and the linkage would not bolt up.
You might try to adjust the linkage so it is maxed out at WOT and drive it. The shift points might be good even if the lever doesn't travel fully to the resting position.
Just my 2 cents...
    Craig

dave shep

all,
the adjustments I made via the extended rod have done wonders.  The Brave now shifts into second and third properly and is far more responsive, and yes, it even does power down shifts...  all very nice and smooth...  I will see about getting a more proper slotted arm, something that does not look as kludge as what I have done. I still don't have full movement of the trans arm to full open at WOT..  I will play with it some.. I need more travel..  as you say a taller arm I need..   

Now to attend to the leaking steering box,  mufflers. tie rods...  just got a remote master cylinder reservoir from Summit.. looks interesting... don't want to cut a hole in the floor... it's noisy enough in there... 

Gotta love those ThermoQuadsââ,¬Â¦.. even on a 318...  go figure..

Thanks for your all your help. 

:-)

BamBam

Here's a pic from the FSM to help you out. Good Luck

i117.photobucket.com/albums/o47/djmdragracing/KDlinkage.jpg