1986 Chieftain Problems After Sitting

Started by RonV, August 16, 2019, 11:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

circleD

I'll give you my two cents like I tell everyone on here. I am not carb inclined and hate chasing down issue after issue. I bought an Edelbrook 1400, new vacuum lines on carb, ran new fuel lines, fuel filter, dropped the tank (70 gallon) cleaned it inside and out. This eliminated several hoses on top of the motor. Cranked up and ran great.
Corrosion is the main enemy with these old rigs. Everything that I touched I would clean it or replace it. It is a money pit but, I knew my rig inside and out  by then.

Rickf1985

A 1400 is a 600 CFM carb and on paper it will power a 454 but in real life that is maxed out. The 1411 750 CFM is the best choice.

https://www.summitracing.com/parts/edl-1411/overview/

Or the 800 CFM 1413 if you are running a really heavy rig like a 33 foot or larger.

RonV

Ok pulled the carb and got it rebuilt, it was easy and the auto choke diagram held, I might install a manual choke for $10.Going to replace all the vacuum lines with new ones and install the carb, then run manual full pump line to 5 gallon can and check it to see it is pumping to carb and see if it will start.
I think when I tried to start it the first time and it ran for 45 seconds and died it clogged the carb or the jets? and would not attempt to start after that with gas or starting fluid. Going to replace the starter solenoid and test for power, if it starts then I am going to flush or replace the fuel lines and drop and clean the tank and test the fuel pump.My wife said to just replace everything new, I said If there is a problem and I just replaced it why have we been married for 40 years..lol, I will be sleeping on the couch tonight.

Rickf1985

If she sees the prices of most of the stuff for a Winnebago new she will be sorry she EVER said that! And most of the stuff you can't get anyway.

circleD

My fault by not proof reading Rick. It is a 1411 Edelbrock