Need Source for Itasca refrigerator vent cover!

Started by ClydesdaleKevin, December 06, 2008, 12:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ClydesdaleKevin

Sent: 3/10/2007 10:14 AM

On our 77 Itasca, the refrigerator roof vent cover is all cracked and damaged from the sun.  The base is still fine, as its made from galvanized steel and doesn't even have any rust on it, and the bug/debris screen is still good.

The problem is, its wider than anything the local RV dealers have!  The ID measures at just over 7 inches.  Length is around 17 inches.  The original cover is plastic, and has rounded corners, with screw holes on the lip, 4 of them, 2 on each side, about 2 inches back from the corners.

The base itself has sheetmetal tabs which wrap around the cover lips, and then the screws go through the tabs, through the holes in the plastic cover, and then back in the tabs again.

Where can I get one of these?  I even considered replacing the base, but the RV books don't have one that wide!  The local RV dealer has big metal covers that would fit, but I'd have to mickeymouse it...add metal L brackets and whatnot, to MAKE it work. 

I really want to stick with the original...I don't like mickeymousing things.  For now, I taped over all the cracks, inside and out, with white duct tape.  That will keep it from leaking for now, but it needs to be replaced.

Thanks!

Kev and Patti
Kev and Patti, the furry kids, our 1981 Ford F-100 Custom tow vehicle, and our 1995 Itasca Suncruiser Diesel Pusher.

Elandan2

Sent: 3/10/2007 11:56 AM

Hi Guys, I am sending you a link for the Coast Catalog. Just as an aside, my '77 Elandan has the original roof vent and it is the metal style. You can get the replacement lids for those as well. Maybe the pictures in the catalog can help you out. Rick

http://www.go-rv.com/coast/do/chooseState

Rick
Rick and Tracy Ellerbeck

Slantsixness

Sent: 3/10/2007 12:00 PM

www.rvsurplussalvage.com

You're looking for an older dometic Fridge vent. the norcold vent is smaller, but won't work for you.

The new vent looks different and is Plastic, but it's just slightly oversized to retrofit the  various older vent holes.

That's where I got mine. Shipping wasn't too bad. and They have the poopy vents too.

but..... I have 3 Camping world's within 30 miles of me here, and they stock this stuff....

When Bike week's  over... we might just show up there with some vents...

Tom
Remembering My 72 D20RG Brave "Smurfbago" The old girl never let me down, and she's still on the road today. quick! get out the Camera... I spotted another junkyard full of Winnies...

Oz

1969 D22, 2 x 1974 D24 Indians, 1977 27' Itasca