Found a 1970 M-27 for sale, wanted to know if it was worth the asking price

Started by outdoorsguy36, March 21, 2019, 11:20 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

outdoorsguy36

This is the post that explains everything they have done. I also have photos of the interior and exterior. I talked extensively with the owner and she agreed to wait until April 6th to let me drive down to take a look at it. Its about a 7-8 hr drive for me so has to wait until I have time off.
1970 Winnie Chieftain M-27, $15,000. Classic motor home for Winnebago enthusiasts. In process of restoring when husband went blind. New engine, radiator (new),carpet,(new) upholstery (new), engine air, roof air x 2(new), rubber roof(new), slant put on roof for drainage,shower (new),cedar to closets, new wall covering,refrigerator (new),new gas tank,all new wiring harness, windows all reset, generator reconditioned, propane tank (new), canvas awings for all windows. Will continue to work on it or sell as is. All these new amenities have not been used.

The original 318 engine was swapped out with a used 94 model 360 with fuel injection, but the wiring harness and gas tank haven't been put on so it currently doesn't run. The front seats and dinette are reupholstered but the seats still have to be mounted. The wheels are 15 years old and are bias ply with tubes on split rims. The big awning was removed when they replaced the roof but they never re-installed it or replaced the vinyl. The body has the original paint job and is faded with paint missing in a few small areas. A lot of the stuff they list they have and some maybe partially installed but its a 50% restoration project that I would have to finish once I have it hauled home. All the materials needed to finish what they list in the post come with the rv just not everything is installed like the post leads you to believe.

outdoorsguy36

outdoorsguy36

These are the last few pictures, the owner took them and emailed them to me

ClydesdaleKevin

Sounds like a lot of work left for 15,000 bucks.  If it was complete and running I could see a price tag like that...but if you have the time, the patience, and the extra money (including the money to get it towed 8 hours away from you), that is a decision you will have to make for yourself.

Kev
Kev and Patti, the furry kids, our 1981 Ford F-100 Custom tow vehicle, and our 1995 Itasca Suncruiser Diesel Pusher.

Froggy1936

Sounds like it just has one too many zero.s  There is a lot to be done Probably the rest of the money in parts and labor To arrive at that figure . What about the computer and wiring ? Frank
"The Journey is the REWARD !"
Member of 15 years. We will always remember you, Frank.

joanfenn

I would say not.  How are you going to try out things if they are not installed and operable.  Maybe 1500.00 the way it is but there are better ones out there for what they are asking. N:(

tmsnyder

No thanks.  15k is all that put together and finished,  imo.

They'd be lucky to get $5k for it.  More like $2k.

LJ-TJ

Rickf1985

Many hundreds of hours ad thousands of dollars left to do on that and from the looks of the sanding spots on the body I would want to look carefully at the skin to see if it was corroded from within. You may find the skin is nothing but a fine shell. I agree with the others, one to many zeros. Especially if the engine does not have the exact computer it came with and you do not have the knowledge to wire up a computerized transplant.

LJ-TJ

Just Posted, If you want to see what's out there especially for the kind of money your talking of spending. Check out T.J.'s list of Bago's for sale. There are some really,REALLY nice rigs out there right now for sale.

joanfenn

Yes what TJ said.  Check out that list that TJ so laboriously posts every month so people can find the classics that they would love to own.  Gives you a good idea of what is there for what you want to spend.  Most you can hop right in and take for a drive and see how things are suppose to work,  Good luck

Indian72

We found this one in Naples and bought it for 15k. I hope this helps you with price vs condition comparisons you are making.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=msLi_9I_ikU

LJ-TJ

A tad rich for me but what a sweet looking ride. Nicely done. :)ThmbUp