1991 P30 fuel sender help

Started by sraab928, January 23, 2019, 08:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

sraab928

Looking for a sending unit for a 1991 Chevy P30 Chasis with an 80 gallon fuel tank.  My parts search has only yielded ones that say they exclude the 80 gallon tank - Has anyone else dealt with this issue?

Froggy1936

Well thats one way of getting to it !  It is a Chevrolet truck part contact a Chevy truck  dealer !  Frank
"The Journey is the REWARD !"
Member of 15 years. We will always remember you, Frank.

Rickf1985

You say it is a 91 which generally makes the chassis a 90 model which should have fuel injection. That appears to be a low pressure pump used on the carbureted models. Do you have a carburetor or fuel injection? Big difference in pump. The only difference in the tank size may be the depth but it could also be the length of the tank. I also have an 80 gallon in mine but it is not listed anywhere other than the option sheet. As like you when I was looking for a pump all I found were 70 gallon max. I ended  up not having to replace mine but several people on here have so hopefully one of them will chime in. Your main concern will be the distance from the flange to the bottom of the pickup. These RV's used many different tanks so a 70 or an 80 could use the same one.

tmsnyder

Don't be afraid to get the one that's available and modify it as needed.  The top is probably the same and the tubes can be lengthened, bent, shortened as needed.

sraab928

I just bought it and found the rear floor rotted among other things - so yeah access was easy.

she is a 454 TBI  The chassis vin decodes to 1991 Chevrolet P30 7.4L V8 per the AC delco site.

When you look up sending unit this is what comes up

Fuel Tank Sending Unit
Part Number:  FLS1066
Product Notes:
Fuel Tank Sending Unit all;
Exc 80 GALLON/304 LITER FUEL TANK(NJ9), 60 GAL/227 LITER FUEL TANK(NN4), 9H2); VIN: N*; All; 60 GAL/227 LITER FUEL TANK(NN4); Exc 9H2); VIN: N*
Per Vehicle: 1; Years: 1991-1993

sraab928

Thankfully my sending unit works - it just has some rust on it - If there is no direct replacement I may just clean this one up and use as is.  I will go to a chevy dealer and see what they can offer.

Rickf1985

Have you tried contacting Airstream? Every manufacturer seems to use a different tank so they may have a number for it. I have a Pace Arrow and a Winnebago, both 80 gallon tanks but shaped completely different.

ClydesdaleKevin

That is definitely the exact same sending unit and in-tank fuel pump we had in the old '89 Holiday Rambler, which was carburated.  If yours is TBI, I would guess it also has a higher pressure electric fuel pump somewhere, in addition to the one in the tank.

Kev
Kev and Patti, the furry kids, our 1981 Ford F-100 Custom tow vehicle, and our 1995 Itasca Suncruiser Diesel Pusher.

Froggy1936

When i installed the 1995 Engine with TBI in my 1977 carbuerated Mini i researched the fuel pump and fount that TBI only needs 10 lb,s of pressure to operate I installed a low pressure pump 1/2 way between tank and engine, I have had no problems ! Frank
"The Journey is the REWARD !"
Member of 15 years. We will always remember you, Frank.

sraab928

Quote from: ClydesdaleKevin on January 24, 2019, 09:22 AM
That is definitely the exact same sending unit and in-tank fuel pump we had in the old '89 Holiday Rambler, which was carburated.  If yours is TBI, I would guess it also has a higher pressure electric fuel pump somewhere, in addition to the one in the tank.

Kev

It only needs about 13 psi for proper operation - It's the only fuel pump on mine.

thomas

hi! just changed my  F.P. what i learened ,, is mine is 454 /4brl. carb  so it uses lower pressure than tbi  and that biger tank is deeper than the reg.   and that mine is 1986 rv,  but the line comming out of tank from pump is a higher pressure type if the system is tbi  you can see the differance in the connections on the hose !! no hose clamps to the pressure regulator!

sraab928

Ok so Chevy dealer was helpful - parts guy was an old rv owner as well.  He said my chassis was ordered fuel tank delete (code 9H2 on my service part identification sticker) - so it was supplied by airstream.  But he also said that the standard 80 gallon tank fuel sender is part 15978527 EDIT - THATS THE FUEL TANK PART NUMBER which is no longer available.