Rim Bolt Pattern on 1995 Oshkosh chassis.

Started by ClydesdaleKevin, December 30, 2018, 08:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ClydesdaleKevin

Anyone know if the rims on a '95 Oshkosh chassis are compatible with rims from a Chevy P-30 chassis are the same?  Bolt pattern and all that?  They take the same size tires, 8rX19.5.  I can't tell if the rims are the same yet, since the nuts that hold the wheel covers on were pretty rusty crusty.  They have been soaking in PB Blaster for over 24 hours, and I will find out tomorrow...just wondering if anyone knows the answer before I take the chrome wheel covers off.

Kev
Kev and Patti, the furry kids, our 1981 Ford F-100 Custom tow vehicle, and our 1995 Itasca Suncruiser Diesel Pusher.

Rickf1985

Can't say for sure but easy way to tell is pull the spare out of both and compare them for both hole spacing and also hole diameter and offset. And make sure that they are same type of hole, as in flat around the hole or raised around the hole. The P30 uses the adapter that goes on after the wheels for the coned lugs but the rims are flat. Also check the center hole diameters.

ClydesdaleKevin

Thanks Rick!  I'm going to pull the wheel cover off today and see.  I'll let everyone know if they are the same or not.

Kev
Kev and Patti, the furry kids, our 1981 Ford F-100 Custom tow vehicle, and our 1995 Itasca Suncruiser Diesel Pusher.

ClydesdaleKevin

So the rims on an Oshkosh chassis are NOT compatible with the rims from a Chevy P30 chassis, even though they take the same 8r-19.5 tire size.

The rims on the Oshkosh have 6 huge lug holes, instead of the 10 smaller lug holes on the P30 rims. 

On our 95 Itasca Suncruiser, the lug nuts themselves are 1 1/2", and the smaller skinnier nuts that hold the chrome wheel covers on are 1 5/8" diameter.

Also of note, the lug nuts and cover nuts on the driver's side are reverse threaded, just like old Dodge chassis with the old bias split rims.

Kev

ClydesdaleKevin

Also of note:  The torque specs for the lug nuts, from the Oshkosh operator's manual, are 450-500 foot pounds of torque...good grief!!!  I'm going to have to invest in one of these torque multipliers when we get out to Arizona and get back to work!  They even come with four 1/2" drive impact sockets, including the 1 1/2" and 1 5/8" sockets required for this coach.  160.00 with free shipping at the address below...but Amazon has them for 65.00, also with free shipping.  I'll have to find out if there is a significant difference in quality before I order one.

http://lugwrench.biz/buy.htm