Power Steering Fluid Question.

Started by ClydesdaleKevin, December 30, 2018, 06:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ClydesdaleKevin

Hey guys!  On our new coach, the power steering fluid is low, and I need to top it off.  It has the Cummings diesel with a 6 speed Allison transmission. 

Anyhow, the manuals that came with the coach say it takes Dextron 2 for the power steering (which also runs the power brakes).  Do they even make Dextron 2 anymore, or will the latest rendition of Dextron, which I believe is Dextron IV, work?  Is it backwards compatible like Dex 4 is for Dex 3?

I'll have a lot of questions about this coach, and lots of info to share...and this is the first one. 

Thanks ahead of time guys! 

Kev
Kev and Patti, the furry kids, our 1981 Ford F-100 Custom tow vehicle, and our 1995 Itasca Suncruiser Diesel Pusher.

Rickf1985

I would say you could get away with it for the trip home but once you get there a complete change to the Dexron V would be in order. Look online first and see what Dexron is available first though since it isn't always a good idea to mix oils if you can at all avoid it. With transmission fluids it is all about the friction modifiers in the oils which does not really affect the hydraulic pumps all that much but not knowing what is in the formulas and the mixing them is always iffy.

tmsnyder

I believe the Dextron fluids are all backward compatible.   Meaning Dextron 4 meets or exceeds the specs for 3, which meets or exceeds the specs for 2, etc.

ClydesdaleKevin

Thanks guys!  That is what I am finding online.  Except Dexron VI (Six)...which supposedly will have a warning on the label to NOT use it for power steering.  I'll have to take a look at the box of six quarts I bought recently to change the transmission fluid in the Holiday Rambler to make sure it doesn't say VI.  If it does, I'll have to go buy something that will be compatible. 

Kev
Kev and Patti, the furry kids, our 1981 Ford F-100 Custom tow vehicle, and our 1995 Itasca Suncruiser Diesel Pusher.

Froggy1936

Hi Kev, If you find you have purchased Dexron (6) You can sell it to the guy fixing the old R/V Trans !  Untill you can inspect the Liquid propane line closely i would not travel with it open  Frank
"The Journey is the REWARD !"
Member of 15 years. We will always remember you, Frank.

ClydesdaleKevin

Thanks Frank!  We were thinking the same thing...keep the liquid side shut down unless we are using the generator.

And I checked the box of transmission fluid I bought:  It says Dex/Merc, and says it is good for Dextron III applications, so we are good to go.

Kev