The trip from hell! Now the drive shaft ended up on the highway!

Started by ClydesdaleKevin, December 15, 2018, 08:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ClydesdaleKevin

Thanks Joan and Frank!  Happy New Year to you as well!

Kev
Kev and Patti, the furry kids, our 1981 Ford F-100 Custom tow vehicle, and our 1995 Itasca Suncruiser Diesel Pusher.

LJ-TJ

:)ThmbUp Yep! Congratulations. Looks like life is going to be sooooo much nicer in the new rig.WOW! Well done. I can hardly wait to here all about the new adventures. Happy New Year she looks like she's going to be a grrrrreat one. :)rotflmao

ClydesdaleKevin

Thanks LJ-TJ!  And happy New Year to you both as well!  I'm just trying to figure out now what fluid to use for the power steering (it calls for Dexron 2 in the manuals), and a few other things. 

Kev
Kev and Patti, the furry kids, our 1981 Ford F-100 Custom tow vehicle, and our 1995 Itasca Suncruiser Diesel Pusher.

HandyDan

I am a strong believer in fate.  When you look back at the events that have taken place, you can't help but believe it was all destined to be.  What are the odds that the H.R. would disintegrate in a place near a campground that was nice, helpful, and conveniently located, relatively near some inexpensive motorhomes, one of which was destined to become your new home.  What are the odds that you would have such a response from friends on your GoFundMe page so this could happen.  Suddenly when you are at your lowest point and moving on seems hopeless, things just seem to fall into place and you have to wonder if it wasn't all planned out in the first place.  Good things happen to good people.  Now don't go running off and not letting us hear from you for six months or more.  Many of us have some investment in this trip.
1984 Holiday Rambler
1997 Newmar Kountry Star

ClydesdaleKevin

I know Dan!  God is good, however anyone wants to interpret that.  Everything DOES happen for a reason, and we are blessed!  And we aren't going anywhere!  I got distracted with Facebook and Twitter...but I don't use those social media providers anymore.  I will be spending my internet time here, another forum, and Gab.com

Kev

Rickf1985

Kevin, You had mention needing front tires and you were going to use the tires from your old one, Be sure the new one does not have radials, you do not want to mix bias and radials. If I remember correctly you are running the Sampsons? Which by the way I cannot find anymore since mine are starting to crack from not using enough.

Never mind, I completely forgot the Sampsons are radials. DOH!

Froggy1936

Another tip , For the jeep, Being towed behind a diesel will coat the windshield and the rest of the veh with diesel dirt and slime , a cover is a good idea or an ex extension up to roof level , Or make sure you clean the windshield and wipers before using the Jeep ! Dexron is ATF  Quite common in power steering . Also check engine oil level every AM when traveling . Lack of lube will cause major damage fast ! It is OK to run the engine up against the governor if necc, It will do no damage ! But the automatic should take care of necc RPM ! Frank
"The Journey is the REWARD !"
Member of 15 years. We will always remember you, Frank.

ClydesdaleKevin

Thanks guys!

Rick:  The Sampsons are radials...lol!  And ours don't have any cracks or checkering. 

Frank:  Good advice on the diesel fumes on the windshield!  I'll check the Dexron that I just bought to change the transmission fluid in the Holiday Rambler, and see if it will work.  From what I read online, all the Dexrons are backwards compatible, except Dexron VI, which should have a warning on the label not to use it for power steering.  And I'll be checking all the fluids at ever stop, like I always did with the HR. 

Thanks again guys!

Kev

ClydesdaleKevin

Today is supposed to be nice weather in Cottondale, FL, so I'm going to pull the solar panels off the roof of the HR, and install them onto the roof of the Itasca.  Those things are pretty heavy, so wish me luck...lol!  I'm not going to wire them in until we are all safe and sound in Arizona though...I still have to figure out how many batteries I can use (I can only fit 2 deep cycles in the battery compartment under the stairs, plus the starting battery), so I'm not going to run any wires until I figure out if I can add more batteries, where I can add them, and where I'm going to put the inverter, charge controller, and Powermax Boondocker.  The Itasca currently has a converter built into the power control panel/fuse/breaker box under the fridge, and from what I've read in the manual, it would be anemic the way we use our RV fulltime and with boondocking.  It is a simple two stage charger that puts out a 30 amp charge (if I read the specs correctly).  So all that can wait until we get to AZ.

I'm also going to pull the chrome wheel cover off of one of the front tires today, so see if the rims are the same as the ones on the HR, or if I'll have to take one HR tire and one Itasca tire to a tire shop (I can only fit two wheels at a time in the Jeep), and have them mount/dismount/bead balance them, etc. 

And then it is supposed to rain here for 3 days, and then be nice for our last 3 days. 

Kev

Rickf1985

How are you going to mount the panels? Please tell me you aren't putting holes in the rubber roof?!

ClydesdaleKevin

I'm pretty sure that the roof is fiberglass, but before I pull these panels off, I'm going to confirm that in the manuals.  It doesn't feel rubbery at all, and is hard and slick under the fingernails. 

Kev

Rickf1985

Could be metal, aluminum. If it is I will warn you that it is VERY thin and will not support screws so if you screw into it be absolutely sure there is a support rib behind it. Wasn't it this one that you said had the new rubber roof? Or was that one of the others you were looking at? I would look into high strength epoxy cement for the panels but that is me. I have had FAR too many problems with roof leaks coming in from the tiniest holes and penetrations in both RV's and boats. Ok, just went back through the posts and I see it was the Allegro that had the new roof. Well, You have been around RV's for long enough to know about leaks.

ClydesdaleKevin

I contacted Winnebago Industries today, and they assured me that the roof is fiberglass.  But I decided not to mount ANYthing to our "new" pristine roof.  So I put the solar panels up for sale on Craigslist, in the Tallahassee and Panama City, Florida areas, and the Dothan, Alabama area.  If they don't sell before we have to leave, then the nice folks who bought the Holiday Rambler will have the bonus of pre-installed 730 watts of solar power (we are taking the Morningstar MPPT 60 amp charge controller, and all the breakers,etc. to use with a new system I'm going to design).  We can fit the 2 newest deep cycle Interstate batteries in our existent battery compartment, and if I feel we need to expand battery life, I'll figure it out later...so 730 watts with just 2 batteries is way overkill.  I'm thinking it would be better for us to get two smaller panels, hinged together, to equal about 250 watts, that I can store in a compartment.  I can then aim them at the sun at an angle to charge our batteries...and expand the system later on if necessary.  Those big household Canadian Solar panels on the roof of the Holiday Rambler are HEAVY! 

Kev

ClydesdaleKevin

So I got a few things done today in the "moving to a new rig" process. 

I took our MaxAir vent covers off the Holiday Rambler and thoroughly washed them, and will be installing them on the roof vents of the Itasca on the next day we have that isn't raining.  I also transfered our Flagpole Buddy from the HR to the Itasca, and Old Glory is flying over our new home!

I found out directly from Winnebago Industries that the roof of the Itasca is fiberglass, but decided to NOT put the heavy Canadian Solar solar panels on the pristine roof....and put them up for sale on Craigslist.  We will be going with a smaller (around 250 watt) portable system that I can aim at the sun later on, using the charge controller we have now.

I measured the battery compartment, and we can easily fit the 2 newest of our Interstate Golf Cart batteries, so I'll be installing those before we leave.  I will later on replace them with the very best, highest amp hour deep cycle pair of batteries I can find.

I found a truck tire place just three miles down the road that will only charge me 25 bucks a tire to mount/dismount, and then 15.00 to bean bag balance the two that are going in the Itasca, 130.00 total, so we'll be doing that after New Years Day.  I couldn't get the two nuts off the chrome covers, and the local hardware store doesn't have any sockets big enough for those, or for the lug nut wrench...and because the lug nut wrench measured out at 43mm, the rims sure as heck aren't compatible with the P30 rims. (although I will look closely at the spare tomorrow, which hangs on a cable winch system under the front end...if I shimmy under there, I should be able to get an accurate confirmation of the size of the lug holes).  I'm going to have the tire guys check the rear tire pressures and air them up, since they are duellys, and don't have extensions (yet) to easily check and air up the inner tires, even if they charge me a bit more.  I'll get good extensions later.

I also looked at the box of 6 quarts of transmission fluid I bought, and it is Valvoline Dex/Merc, and it says it is compatible with Dexron III, which is compatible with Dexron II, so we are all set.  I topped off the power steering reservoir, which was just under a quart low to bring it back the the full mark.  I checked the engine oil, and it is clean and topped off already.  The air filter indicator indicates that the air filter is at about half life, so that is good enough to get us to Arizona.  I'll check the Allison transmission fluid when we go do the tires, since it needs to be warm and in neutral to check, and it also takes Dexron II, so if it is low, we have 5 more quarts to play with...lol! 

I also checked the brake fluid, which needs to be topped off, but isn't too low.  Even though the brake fluid reservoir (which is HUGE) is under the wheel well like every other RV we have owned, and there isn't a trap door...they are CLEAR and you can see the level at a glance!  And they have screw tops and easy to reach!  So I'll top them off before we leave.  It takes Dot 3.

I also found brand new wiper blades in a compartment...BONUS!!!  I'll be installing them as well before we leave.

Going over the Oshkosh chassis manual, there aren't that many grease fittings, but there are grease fittings on the front wheel bearings. SWEET!!!  I'll be greasing all the fittings before we leave as well...and will check and top off, if necessary, the gear oil in the monstrously huge Rockwell rear differential. 

I'm also going to replace all four headlights before we leave, since the two on the driver's side are burnt out...but as soon as we can, I'm replacing them with the LED headlights like we have on the Jeep. SUPER bright...just in case we get stuck driving at night.

And at the end of the day, I went down to the local convenience store and bought a bottle of Andre blush champagne, to open tonight at midnight.  It is cheap stuff, but Patti likes it!

Patti spent the day cleaning in the new RV, chasing down minor evidence of mice residency, and prepping for the move-in.

Kev

Rickf1985

Good to hear all is going well, don't you have the tire changing tools that come with the coach to get the lug nuts off? Do not put a whole lot of faith in the fact that Winnebago says the roof is fiberglass if it looks perfectly smooth. They assured me with no doubts that mine was also, it isn't it is metal. I think the metal roof is a much better option then the fiberglass, that is what is on the Pace Arrow parts unit I have and it is falling apart. The metal would make a perfect base for a rubber roof over it and then you would be set for 15-20 years. I am sending you a PM about the solar panels.

ClydesdaleKevin

Yep...there are tire changing tools.  And the one that takes the nuts off for the wheel covers is flimsy and started to bend and twist, not moving the nuts, which were soaking in PB Blaster for over 48 hours.  I don't have any sockets that big.  The tire tool itself, a huge thing like we used to have for The Ark with its bias tires, measures out according to the local hardware store at 43mm, and they didn't have any sockets that big, and I certainly don't...and the 2 nuts that hold the chrome wheel covers on are slightly bigger, so the tire tool won't fit on them!  My largest crescent wrench wouldn't even fit on them.  They are around 44-45 mm.

The roof is definitely not metal.  Fiberglass, I'm pretty sure.  Like 98% sure, and in excellent clean condition.

Kev

Froggy1936

On the Frt wheel bearings make sure you use wheel bearing grease and not chassis lube  But you can use the wheel bearing grease on the chassis fittings,   See if there is a Harbor freight store around they probably have sockets that big (i have had nothing but good luck with all the Harbor freight Products)   Frank
"The Journey is the REWARD !"
Member of 15 years. We will always remember you, Frank.

ClydesdaleKevin

Thanks Frank!  I don't think there are any Harbor Freights nearby, but I have had great luck with them as well. 

Happy New Year sir!  And to Louie as well!  Give that adorable little doggo some ear scratches from me and Patti!

Kev

Rickf1985

And stop thinking metric! They will be american size I am sure.  You know, I started looking at diesel pushers up here just for sh**s and grins and you my man got real lucky!!!!!!!!!! Nothing up here even close to that price range and what is here for 12,000 is junk compared to yours! I am REAL jealous.  :)ThmbUp :)ThmbUp :)ThmbUp

44-45 mm is 1 3/4", That is a big lug nut. That is bigger than what is found on tractor trailers! Most tractor trailers use either 1 1/2" or 33 mm.

https://www.ryderfleetproducts.com/studs-and-nuts-c-9881

Rickf1985

I just took a close look at your pictures and they are standard wheel covers. Did you pull the lug caps off before trying to take the lug nuts off? Those caps are not supposed to be on there when removing the lug nuts, they just pull straight off. Then the lugs come off and then the wheel covers come off.

HandyDan

1984 Holiday Rambler
1997 Newmar Kountry Star

ClydesdaleKevin

The chrome lug caps come right off with the gentle nudge of channel locks...lol!  I set down a tarp (Florida=Fire Ants) and got under the rig to look at the spare, which hangs under the front end on a cable...you use the other tool that was in the compartment to put through a hole in the front bumper to engage the winch attached to the cable to lower the tire down.  It was wobbly, so I tightened it up.  The rim is DEFINITELY not compatible with the P30 chassis, and has a completely different SIX large hole pattern.  So we will definitely be bringing this to the tire shop three miles down the road, either tomorrow or more likely the next day, to mount and dismount tires. 

ClydesdaleKevin

We got a LOT done today for the move-in transfer to our new home.

Patti steadily kept moving stuff we are definitely going to keep to the new RV all day, while I worked on projects.

The first thing I did today, after my coffee, was to disconnect our 2 newest deep cycle batteries from our system in the HR, and cleaned them thoroughly with baking soda...and install them in the Itasca.  I rewired the batteries in the HR so the new owner would still have 4 batteries working perfectly.  I installed the new 2 batteries and watered them, and checked the starting battery in the coach, which didn't need any water.

I then exchanged all the LED bulbs we had on the HR to the Itasca, and put the incandescent bulbs from the Itasca back into the HR.  We still need quite a few more LED bulbs for the Itasca, but we are good for now. 

I then installed the clean vent covers that I took off the HR yesterday and all the hardware onto the Itasca.

Next I exchanged the very expensive AGM starting battery that I JUST bought for the HR, with the 10 year old Optima battery that was in the Jeep...and had to rebuild the positive post on the Jeep, since it broke when trying to put it back together.

And I took off our "Smith" name plate from the HR, and put it on the Itasca (which Patti is going to caulk tomorrow, since I STILL, no matter how hard I try, suck at caulking).  It actually matches the Itasca theme decals pretty closely, with a similar pine tree motive.

I changed the wiper blades out as well, with the new ones I found in a compartment.

I also tightened an antenna that was flapping loose on the driver's side, and added another screw to the front fairing, because either one of those was making an annoying clacky sound when we drove the rig to this RV park.

And that was it for today!

Once we actually move in in a few more days, I'll make a new travel post:  Florida To Arizona, 2019.

Happy New Year everyone!!!

Kev

Rickf1985

Ok, So looking at the pictures it shows ten lug wheel covers. You say the spare is a six lug pattern? What are the wheels on the coach, 6 or 10?  If it is a large 6 lug pattern that would be weird since that is used by Isuzu and Hino trucks. If that is the case then be sure to research things like brakes and wheel bearings just in case they are non-standard truck parts.

ClydesdaleKevin

I think you must be looking at the Holiday Rambler wheel pattern, Rick.  The ones on the 95 Itasca are 6 lug, front and back...with pretty large lug bolt holes.  I scrambled under the Itasca yesterday to look at the spare, and it is definitely 6 large lug holes. 

These are the best two pics I have of the lugs on the Itasca right now, and they are definitely six huge lugs, front and back. 

Kev