faulty cabinet door ceiling magnets

Started by Woodybago, June 18, 2018, 02:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Woodybago

Does anyone know where I can find replacement ceiling cabinet magnets for our 74 Brave? or is there a way to remagnitize the old ones? Our cabinet doors cling to the ceiling for a few seconds and then they slam shut unexpectedly. I'm sure that we are not the only ones to have this problem. I searched at the local hardware stores but found nothing exactly right. :(

Rickf1985

Online you can get all sizes of rare earth magnets cheap. Just do not get big ones!

Something like this maybe? I don't know what your look like.

https://www.amazon.com/Neodymium-Magnets-Adhesive-Backing-Scientific/dp/B075YF9HT1/ref=sr_1_6?ie=UTF8&qid=1529366602&sr=8-6&keywords=rare-earth+magnets

Google search for rare earth magnets,, I had to get away from there, I will get in trouble! :D  I bought some of the larger ones one time, about 1x2 inch. Well when you try to take them off of the plastic holders they tend to go towards each other and slam together, no matter if your hand is in the way!!! I have some pictures of the end result and it was NOT pretty! Stay away from the bigger ones!

https://www.amazon.com/s/?ie=UTF8&keywords=rare-earth+magnets&tag=googhydr-20&index=aps&hvadid=228942345252&hvpos=1t4&hvnetw=g&hvrand=11667569275498382114&hvpone=&hvptwo=&hvqmt=e&hvdev=c&hvdvcmdl=&hvlocint=&hvlocphy=9003783&hvtargid=kwd-314254515765&ref=pd_sl_3q8mry411p_e_p37

TerryH

The power, strength, versatility and numerous uses of rare earth magnets are very often misunderstood or overlooked.
For your needs, as above, small ones would likely serve.
Given their power to size ratio you would likely get by with either replacing one side only with a bit of epoxy, or possibly both. Regardless, you will likely find them to be far superior, especially when on the road.
It is not our abilities that show what we truly are - it is our choices.
Albus Dumbledore

TerryH

As an addendum, should you test rare earth magnets I would suggest you begin with a size between a pencil eraser and a dime.
Go small to begin.
It is not our abilities that show what we truly are - it is our choices.
Albus Dumbledore

Oz

RV junkyards and Salvage yards are a good source.  In addition, Sands RV parts in Ohio and possibly Young Farts RV parts.
If you can't find exact replacements, you can use standard, cheap cabinet door magnets with little or no modification.
1969 D22, 2 x 1974 D24 Indians, 1977 27' Itasca