Anybody running bf Goodrich commercial 235/85r/16 T/As?

Started by Thenoob, May 22, 2018, 01:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Thenoob

Purchasing New tires this week
Looking for thoughts on 235/85r/16
For the old brave.
Bf Goodrich commercial ta all season

Anybody running these?

Thenoob

My tire guy said to stick with the 7.5s on the rear because of rub issues on a rear 235 on these older wheels?

yellowrecve

I have 215/85 x 16 Firestone. There is only 1" max between at the bottom bulge when parked. Have 235/85 x 16 on the front.
RV repairman and builder of custom luxury motor homes, retired, well, almost, after 48 years.

Thenoob

Wow that's pretty tight! Thanks for the response

Thenoob

Hoping to get some more input
This stupid tire shop is trying to sell me bias ply for the rear because of the wheel size, but won’t pass inspection because they won’t let you run radials and bias ply on the same axle.

The 235/85/16 are fine up front
What radials are you guys running in the back on these short wheelbase braves? (D19 1973)

Only thing these guys are recommending to me are these Yokohama tires, but they are pretty aggressive /knobby.

https://www.canadawheels.ca/yokohama-tires/y742s-t30378

Thenoob

Sorry should say
Won’t let you run bias ply and radials on the same vehicle*

Rickf1985

yellowrecve

Go to Kal tires web site. It will give you a list of different tires available and prices. Mine are Firestone TransForce HT LT215/85R16. A very mild grip like a car all season. Although I bought them in the US I'm sure Kal tire has them has them.
I just checked. They have them listed @ $200 each. They are called a 3 season tire. 
RV repairman and builder of custom luxury motor homes, retired, well, almost, after 48 years.

Thenoob

These tire guys are being useless
Only option they are giving me is that tire

I will grill them about that size you are
Referring To.
I don't know how many times I've asked them to give me the same option.
The coach you have, do you have the small wheelbase like mine?

tmsnyder

Mavis Tire has about 20 different tires in 215-85R16, from $110 up to $200.  Load range E. 

I'd say you need another tire shop.   It seems like a good idea to keep them all the same size, so you can rotate them around and so the spare is the same size.

Rickf1985

215-85R16 tires were used on all of the dually pickups regardless of vehicle brand for probably 25 years up through the late 90's. I find it very hard to believe that they cannot supply that size tire no matter what country you are in!  That said some of the 215's were wider than others even though it should not work that way. I had Goodyear Wranglers AT's on the back of my Dodge dually when I bought it and they had a "two finger fit" between the tires, which is about the right amount. I wanted to go up to 235's but looking at the 215's I figured they would not fit. The tire place told me they do it all the time with my truck and they would mount a set of 235's and see how they looked. Two fingers, perfect.

Now, Do NOT use my example here and say 235's will fit your truck, this was on a 98 Dodge. The rims are different. What I am trying to point out is that not all tires are the same. I know for a fact that the Wranglers are substantially wider than they should be.

yellowrecve

My MH is a 1974 24ft on RM350. Original 16.5 went 16 . Slip of the brain. Original 17.5

Rickf1985

What did the rims come from? That might determine what will fit. If they are off of a later truck then 235's may fit.

Thenoob

Not sure
They were changed from 16.5 to 16 at some point

Rickf1985

They may be stamped with Ford or Dodge or GM markings or they may be generic rims. I will get the spacing between the edge of the rim and the inner face of the mounting surface on my Dodge rim for you. That will give you an idea if you are close or not. What should be stamped on the rim is the width. There should be something like 16x6JJ or similar stamped in the part you can see.

Ok, I have 1 1/2 inches from the edge of the rim to the face of the wheel where it would mate against the other wheel. These are for a 1998 Dodge 3500. If you have that measurement then 235's just might fit. The best thing is to find a shop that is willing to mount a pair and put them on the vehicle so you can see them in real world. It sounds like the shop you are dealing with is NOT going to be one of those shops that will do that for you.

Thenoob

Thanks guys for all the help
Do you think running 6x 215/85r/16 e rated will be fine on these smaller coaches?  I can pull the trigger on them and ya e worked out a Favorable deal

Rickf1985

What is the weight rating on the tires you are looking at compared to the weight of your coach? You don't need the exact weight of the coach, The maximum axle weight per end will be on the door sticker. My pick-up has a GVW of 11,000 lbs. so I would think if they are quality tires they should be fine.

Thenoob

Rickf1985

You are good to go. :)ThmbUp :)ThmbUp  I would run them at their maximum pressure until you can get the vehicle weighed in camping trim and then see what that weight works out to on Firestones weight/pressure chart. Do not go by the original pressures that they call for on the door sticker since these are completely different tires.

DaveVA78Chieftain

Sorry for coming in late.
M300 Chassis
Original tire size for a 72/73 M300 chassis was 7.5-16C Bias on 16x5.5" split ring rims (not radial capable).
Dodge never used a 16.5 inch rim on the Class A Motor Home chassis
Dodge moved to the 8-17.5C tubeless tire on 17.5x5.25" rim in 73 with the RM300 chassis (re-branded to M300 in 75 retroactive to 73)

M375 Chassis
Used 17 inch split ring rims.
[move][/move]

Rickf1985

WHOA!, You did not mention they were spits rings! If so then you are going to have to stay with the bias tires as Dave said. I was under the impression these rims were sourced from a later pickup. This is one of those times where pictures make all the difference.

Thenoob

They are NOT split wheels
They were switched out before out I got the coacj

Thenoob

Quote from: Rickf1985 on June 08, 2018, 09:55 PM
You are good to go. :)ThmbUp :)ThmbUp  I would run them at their maximum pressure until you can get the vehicle weighed in camping trim and then see what that weight works out to on Firestones weight/pressure chart. Do not go by the original pressures that they call for on the door sticker since these are completely different tires.

Thank you 🙏