Windshield Replacement

Started by WrigleysBraveWin, April 19, 2018, 08:53 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

WrigleysBraveWin

Windshield got hit by rock and put nice chip in windshield and I had the chip repaired and now after the winter chip is back and I’m afraid it may grow so rather than mess around I’m going to replace my windshield ....

Any ideas who may do the work as local glass shop wants $1,800 just for the labor plus glass so they quoted $3,000, ouch!

I’m in North Central Arkansas but plan on traveling up to Chicago / Indiana Way.
Today is the youngest you'll ever be!

TerryH

Been a while since I have done these, but here goes:
If the chip has a 'line' coming off it (known as a run) it is beyond chip repair. With temperature extremes and on the road stress it will continue growing.
Labor of $1800? With help to lift the old one out I could remove it in less than 30 minutes.
Assuming you have had no leaks your pinch weld should be fine. Tops should be 2 hours for two knowledgeable  installers to install the glass. 30 minutes maximum to reinstall the outside trim. 30 minutes next day to remove trim tape and clean up.
Cost of the glass? I don't know. If the shop did not provide you with a NAGS part number I would request it. You can use it to call around for prices.
Bear in mind when manufacturers make a run of a WS for an F150 they run thousands. For an RV - a lot less. This has as large a bearing on cost as does size.
I would definitely call around.
If you are on good terms with your insurance company you could call your agent and explain your situation. They likely have shops they deal with and have a predetermined cost for replacement. Possibly a recommendation for a shop as well.
As I said, it has been a number of years for me and my estimates are likely somewhat off.
However, $1800?
It is not our abilities that show what we truly are - it is our choices.
Albus Dumbledore

Rickf1985

Just this last billing cycle I put windshield replacement insurance on my policy, All of 12 dollars additional. Now I am real glad I did!!!

TerryH

Mine are covered under 'Comprehensive', I would have to check the cost. It covers Fire, Theft, Vandalism and Glass. Deductible is $300.00.
A benefit of insurance over DIY for glass is that if it should break during replacement it is the shop's responsibility - not yours.
It is not our abilities that show what we truly are - it is our choices.
Albus Dumbledore

tmsnyder

Any thoughts on protecting your windshield from rock chips with protective film?  Here's a DIY RV kit of Diamond Fusion SurfaceShield for $60:

http://www.surfaceshield.com/diy/index.htm

WrigleysBraveWin

Thanks guys .... I can obtain the windshield at $366 a pane and as for insurance I can put thru insurance or pay out of pocket .....

What I am asking does anyone know a good glass shop around the Midwest?
Today is the youngest you'll ever be!