46RH (A518) Conversion project

Started by Sasquatch, November 13, 2017, 02:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sasquatch

Feeling better, just gave her a bath.

chicknnhead

Sasquatch

That would work on an "RE" transmission that is electronically shifted.  Mine is all hydraulic and does not have a lock up torque converter.

Sasquatch

Ok, I just looked closer, it will work on an RH, but it also wants to see a lockup torque converter and needs a throttle position sensor that it can access.  I could rig one, but probably not worth it.

Rickf1985

It has the option of no converter clutch and they can supply a TPS for a carburetted engine. You are running out of excuses. :)rotflmao  Looks like a decent unit. I would like to see one like that for the 4l80E GM trans at that price.

tmsnyder

No excuse needed for doing a cool combo like this one though.

Sasquatch

I looked deeper at it.  It could be a neat product.  I am going to keep that one in mind.  I want to prove the transmission out for a while first with my switch.  I need to feel confident all the issues are put to bed.

Rickf1985

You know I am just busting your stones. I am waiting for my suggestion of the 13 speed to get the best of you, it is going to happen. The voices are getting louder. :D :D

chicknnhead

Yeah i read about that unit over on another site, of a guy doing something similar to yours..the reason he went with that was because he wanted his wife to drive and it was hands off sorta situation....so far so good has been reported

Sasquatch

The 13 speed is not going to happen Rick.  I went through hell with this conversion, although most was my own fault.  I really want to focus on enjoying the coach.  My last major upgrades will be a new modern AC unit for the roof with a wall thermostat (I travel with animals), and a full repaint and window rebuilds.  Some minor upgrades as well like new dash and modern insturments and switches, modern lighting, etc., are also planned, but they are not huge changes.  Other than that, nothing major is planned.  At some point the motor will need a full rebuild and I will plan that one carefully and build it the best I can for how I use it with lots of low end torque and efficiency (yes, I said efficiency regarding a 440) in mind.  No diesel swaps, no flux capacitors, hybrid drives, warp generators, or cloaking devices.... sorry.

Rickf1985

Listen to the voices! Diesels are efficient. The trans will bolt right on with a class three bell housing (or #3, I can never remember which) All you need is a hole in the floor. No electronics, No 50 gallons of lost transmission fluid. Listen to the voices!!!

Boy am I glad I live a LONG ways away from you!! At least right now anyways. :)rotflmao :)rotflmao :)rotflmao :)rotflmao

Sasquatch

The last time I listened to the voices it ended up very badly for me.  So, I shall resist.  Diesels are more efficient, but I really do not want to do that.  I simply do not put the miles on the coach to make that worth it.  One could argue the same for the overdrive, but it is so much more quiet and relaxed at 2100 rpm vs over 3k.  That in itself makes it worth it.  As it sits, my mileage is not bad at 7-8.5.  I am still curious what it will do with the transmission working properly.  Even if I only pick up 1 - 1.5 mpg I will be happy.  I tend to drive hard, so my mileage will suffer.

But bottom line is that I am going to take the next year and just work on details.  Continue on really jazzing her up.  People are so blown away when they walk inside her, I just want to finish that.  Some new modern back splashes, LED puck lighting, and a bunch of small details that have been neglected.  And bottom line, use her.  Go camping.

srosa707

Those are some great plans, Sasquatch!

Rickf1985

OK, OK, I will stop pestering you. Just hope I don't trip over a 671 Detroit laying around anywhere. That and a Road Ranger and MY wheels will be turning!

TerryH

Sasquatch, I hope you realize that is has been a while since we have seen Rick - particularly - and many others so interested and intrigued in a member project!
You can't quit now! :)ThmbUp :)ThmbUp :)ThmbUp
It is not our abilities that show what we truly are - it is our choices.
Albus Dumbledore

Rickf1985

You KNOW I was interested in that project since it was so off the wall and technical. AND he had the balls to test drive it so far with little preparation. And on top of all that he put up with all of my crap! :D :D :D

TerryH

It has been great following this, and all of the comments. Actually, it's been a hoot.
Keep up with us please, Sasquatch, regardless of and including your upcoming projects!
It is not our abilities that show what we truly are - it is our choices.
Albus Dumbledore

Sasquatch

Rick, there is an ice tea waiting for you if you ever make it to Idaho.....

Froggy1936

You get to a point where you do not want to work on the beast any more, I think I may have set my timing to late , But cant get up the energy to recheck it (it is not as easy as usual) I am happy to just get in and drive, With only checking fluids and air pressure ! Frank
"The Journey is the REWARD !"
Member of 15 years. We will always remember you, Frank.

Rickf1985

I know the feeling Frank, I need a few more replacement joints before doing anymore big jobs.

tmsnyder

What would the mpg be with one of those?  They aren't very fuel efficient are they?

Quote from: Rickf1985 on May 16, 2018, 06:35 PM
OK, OK, I will stop pestering you. Just hope I don't trip over a 671 Detroit laying around anywhere. That and a Road Ranger and MY wheels will be turning!

Rickf1985

On a vehicle as light as a motorhome it would be probably 12-15. You could also hook it into an Allison 6 speed auto but Detroits were pretty sensitive to rpm, they had a pretty small range they liked to be in. Especially the 6 cylinders. I drove a 1971 Autocar heavy tractor with a 12V71 12 cylinder Detroit and that thing would pull like you would not believe between 1600 and 1800 RPM. It pulled hard all the way down to 1200 but at 1600 it would spin the tires with anything less than 10,000 lbs on the axles. But man it was a thirsty beast! It got 4-6 MPG at best. Being a two stroke they were not the most efficient fuel engine but damn they sound good! :D

Sasquatch

Major update.  I finally had a chance to get her out and put 100 miles on it this afternoon.  This is my first main test of the repaired transmission and I am pleased to say she is working perfectly.  Did some city stop and go and about 70 miles of interstate with some hills (It is Idaho). 

Temperatures ranged from 160 to 190 max on the hot side output of the transmission.  Shifted perfect, ran perfect, no issues at all.  I set the cruise on the freeway at 70, threw her into OD and enjoyed the silence (well, almost).  Engine was turning a comfortable 2350 rpms at 70 and had plenty of poop to pull the minor hills I encountered.

So, she is home from work, winterized and tucked away for the winter's slumber.  I am looking forward to next year and taking some trips and enjoying the benefits of all the hard work and frustration I put into this project.

Rickf1985

Great to hear! You have closure for winter knowing that come next summer you will be able to just jump in and go. I guess I can forget about getting you to try the 671/Road ranger combo now. :)rotflmao :)rotflmao :)rotflmao  After this last trip with mine if I had a garage big enough I would be looking for that combo. Hm? N:(

Sasquatch

No Rick, I am not going to do a motor swap.  :P   I seriously considered a Cummins swap years ago before I invested a ton in my drive train and there was two major reasons I decided against it. 

• Dual fuels.  I use my generator quite a bit while driving in warm weather to operate the air conditioner.  I did not want to have to add a third fuel tank and have to deal with filling two different fuels at gas stops.  I know I could probably find a diesel generator, but the smaller, older ones are horribly loud and I just did not want to deal with that.
  • Noise.  One of the huge benefits of doing some of my mods was to reduce cabin noise while driving.  It is pretty darn quiet now.  Stuffing an older 12 valve in there would be quite a bit louder, and I am liking the relaxed feeling that the quiet cab gives me now.
I know people have a hard time believing me, but I really do not need any more power than what I have.  It cruises effortlessly at 70 and will pull any hill I encounter with ease.  When I first acquired the coach, climbing over the Blues eastward from Pendleton, OR I would top the summit at about 40 mph having to climb it in 2nd.  I did it a couple of years ago and never even needed to take it off cruise control and topped it at 54 mph.  That is plenty fast enough for me.  I could have even gone faster if I really laid into the throttle.  (my original cruise control would only pull on the throttle about 5/8, so it would not see full throttle on cruise)

As far as drive train is concerned, I have only one more project to do and that is to come up with a more permanent parking brake solution.  I will probably find a drive shaft mounted cable operated disk brake setup, or something of the sorts.  I looked at the drum brake setup off of the original 727 and I just do not think there is any way to really make that one work without a ton of fabrication.

When I searched for the aftermarket parking brake setups, no one had anything for a Dana 70HD that I could find.  But I need to measure the yoke bolt spacing and look at them from that angle and see if I can find one that either fits or that I can machine a bit and make fit.  My redneck line lock works in a pinch, but it is not a long term solution.

I have two major projects left on my list for this coach.  One is a MAJOR undertaking and that is a new paint job.  But I want to do it right and pull everything off the exterior including the windows.  It will give me a chance to rebuild all the windows, put all new hardware everywhere, and make sure everything is screwed back together nice and tight after the paint work is done.  I am going to keep it the original color and graphics, just new shiny and fresh.

The next is to replace the air conditioning unit on the roof with a more modern one that is smaller in physical size and has a heating option.  It would be nice to use shore power when I am paying for an RV spot instead of burning through my propane.  My original Frigiking air conditioner, believe it or not, still works perfectly though.  But I know at 42 years, it's days are numbered.  It worked perfectly yesterday while I was on my test drive.